Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I am probably a hilariously hypocritical case of posting this thread given I'm a pretty bad case of picky eater, but mind you I'm considerably ashamed about it and don't in the slightest expect anyone else to adhere to my desires.

No, this is a thread about people who get really weird, angry and controlling about people not eating exactly what they eat, or just not obeying them at dinner in general. Militant vegans, militant carnivores, hypocritical vegans and carnivores, people who keep the salt and pepper shakers in a cupboard at all times and clearly only bedgrudgingly take them out on request for a guest to season a single plate with and immediately put them away afterwards... you probably know what I mean. Somehow everyone seems to have an experience with someone who gets incredibly, awkwardly and embarrassingly mad that someone else doesn't adhere to their incredibly arbitrary and white food rules. And not just because goons are all fat fucks. Let at it, bitch about these weird fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A little ironic given my intent was 'people who are unreasonably weird about food' means people who angrily try to police other people's food choices and get actively frothing mad that everyone else in the universe doesn't have exactly the same preferences they do

The_Continental posted:

It sounds like they've got a whole lot more than weird food stuff going on. Sounds like a straight up abusive household.

It's definitely the most boomer thing I've ever heard of. It sounds like it's a case of when they set up the ritual when the kids were actually kids and have refused to alter literally any aspect of it despite the table now being entirely grown adults.

Actually can tie in with the plate mooch thing where parents are unable or unwilling to buy and prepare enough food for a growing household of kids, so the kids grow up fighting over food because they're hungry all the time and have no guarantee of actually getting enough to eat. Also probably girls especially being taught they're a fat cow if they actually ask for their own plate.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This is what happens when you see people put Coke in their baby's bottle.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Maybe it's just a rural Australian thing that sees it as incredibly loving weird you don't just like, drink water. Aren't bottled water and water bottles major industries for a reason? It's like... I dunno, refusing to eat literally anything without ketchup, including salad and sushi.

Some developing countries have issues with it mostly because they can't trust the water, or at least are raised not to, but the British have no excuse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I've said it before, I'll say it again: the British are a degraded people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

hell astro course posted:

if you grew up middle or lower income, a lot of food was a poor facsimile of the real thing... lovely button mushrooms, unappealing canned and frozen vegetables, mealy bland apples, low quality chicken and beef...

I can understand how people develop picky tastes, when the reference point to a food has a huge gap in quality.

See also when your parents are lovely cooks. Boomers in England and large parts of the USA in particular grew up with basically the total destruction of traditional European cooking techniques, and parents who boiled everything into uniform mush.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

No wonder there's all those stereotypes about Mountain Dew being like cocaine for teenagers on the internet, I'm pretty sure down here it's basically just Sprite.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hangovers do weird things to the human body. The hypersensitivity can make something like a warm breeze feel incredibly good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There needs to be an app designed for even the most brutally nonfunctionally hungover to be able to press a large button and have someone deliver a bottle of blue Powerade to your door.

Reminded of that goon post about congee, which apparently is very easy on sick stomachs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty sure it's very well documented that the human sense of taste and palate changes significantly over a lifetime, and varies heavily between people. Hence why kids have different tastes to adults. The unreasonable part is to expect every other human being to have exactly the same preferences as you do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Ok understand that this picture and what the Brigadier posted are not lies or exaggerations. This is what you can expect to be served at 80% or more of any BBQ taking place in Australia.

Those sausages? $10 for 24 at coles.

Also Bunnings, family gatherings, and voting booths.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like the whole point of the thread isn't really about people with individual weird food tastes but that they insist on getting frothingly road rage homicidal about other people not eating exactly what they eat at all times

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

teen witch posted:

I feel so shameful that I love drat near anything pickled except pickles themselves. Somehow it sets off a weird “THIS FOOD IS POIIIISOOOOOONNNN” alarm

Like I’ve gotten over mushrooms but pickles? Nuh uh

I thought witches were meant to like pickles

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm pretty sure Balfours trucks are basically the Australian equivalent of Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Still say an app that existed solely to deliver blue Powerade at the press of a button would make bank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I realise that Idiocracy world is one that makes hangovers so much easier to handle