Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Problem description: I just bought my first new laptop in a decade, and it arrived today. I was pretty excited about it, but it's been a fuckin' nightmare so far. My wife works from home, and I've been causing network issues all afternoon while I try to sort this out.

My previous laptop (an old Lenovo ThinkPad) connects to the router fine, as do all of our various peripheral devices and my wife's work computer. With this new HP Envy, it will connect, work fine for about 30 seconds, and then drop the connection. When the connection drops, NO devices in the house can use the wireless connection. As soon as the HP Envy disconnects, everything is fine.

Wireless connectivity on the HP Envy is just fine when connecting to the open xfinitywifi network, or when using my iPhone as a mobile hotspot.

Attempted fixes: Everything in this video, along with resetting my modem and router to factory defaults and trying again.

Recent changes: It's a brand new laptop. I uninstalled McAfee and installed Avast Free for my antivirus. Windows Defender is running. I'm not using Netgear Armor.

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, all recent updates installed.

System specs: Here's the exact laptop that I purchased: Amazon link
HP Envy x360 15m-ee0026dx

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 4700U, 4 MB L2 cache (up to 4.2 GHz)

Wireless connectivity: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX 200 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5 combo

My router is a Netgear Nighthawk R6900P with AC1900 and MU-MIMO

I'm running a 5 GHz network (802.11ac) with WPA-2 security.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I will be eternally thankful if anyone can solve this issue for me. I just want to enjoy my new machine :smith:

Edit: Some more googling shows that this is the "Default gateway is not available" issue that seems to be fairly common. However, I have tried a dozen different solutions posed by various videos and websites, and I'm getting NOWHERE.

Aggro fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Well, I figured out the loving insane solution to this problem. Didn't involve firmware, BIOS, or any setting on the laptop.

The Nighthawk router has a setting in its configuration inappropriately called "Smart Connect", which combines the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks and preferentially allows devices to connect to whichever is faster. Apparently, that caused the HP Envy to freak the gently caress out and constantly deny internet access after briefly connecting to the Internet.

Eight hours of frustration later, all I had to do was turn off "Smart Connect". gently caress me.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

The X-man cometh posted:

I think I have a problem with Smart Connect on my Nighthawk too. I can't find it in the configuration settings, where was it in yours?

From the Nighthawk app on an iPhone:

1. Click the cloud icon in the top left corner.
2. Settings
3. WiFi settings
4. Toggle smart connect off.