Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

the dancing plague which you have to do for the msq is probably harder than any normal raid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

ImpAtom hit it on the head. I play BLM and all the memes and jokes on reddit and twitter have made me way too insecure, even when I've been playing for years. I just know I'll be on the floor a few times and it's just painful lol.

I know it's bull and I need to start DF poo poo. The catbook point was a good one!

Absolutely. Thanks for affirming!

It's understandable but honestly you're fine. For all that people make jokes they're mostly meant in a lighthearted way or about like really excessive cases. I've literally never seen anyone get harassed for messing up and a mechanic or two their first time through. I know it's easier said than done to not get anxious about that stuff of course but I think if you give it an effort you'll feel more comfortable.

You can also always ask for a group of people here or whatnot to help you since I don't think anyone is going to be an rear end in a top hat if they go in knowing you're learning the mechanics.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Yeah, like trials are dead easy and fast content, and a lot of players forget about how they went so they might as well be new players.

Dungeons are the actual problem since veterans by now have ran them 1000x times and just want to speedrun them to get them over with. Good thing the devs are focusing on making them soloable with trusts!

Everybody who queues into Deltascape V2 absolutely forgets what's going on and immediately get hit by like four vulns while petrified, it's part of the experience.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Imo the Omega Raids are probably the best out of all of them unless Pandaemonium part 2 and 3 are godly.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm ok with anything in normal raid roulette except the birds

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FuturePastNow posted:

I'm ok with anything in normal raid roulette except the birds

Really weird how birds keep being the hardest raid bosses.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Electric Phantasm posted:

When checking out the roles of the Convocation for a video, I discovered that there wasn't actually a member who focused on airborne life. Loghrif was focused on terrestrial life, Mitron on marine life, Halmarut on plant life, but nobody governed birds.

Maybe all the bird bosses are assholes because the sky is canonically a lawless wasteland with no governmance.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

When checking out the roles of the Convocation for a video, I discovered that there wasn't actually a member who focused on airborne life. Loghrif was focused on terrestrial life, Mitron on marine life, Halmarut on plant life, but nobody governed birds.

Maybe all the bird bosses are assholes because the sky is canonically a lawless wasteland with no governmance.

Or its one of the two missing roles.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Cleretic posted:

fandaniel was the bird guy iirc

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ivypls posted:

Actually, no, also checked that! The role of Fandaniel is 'pursuit of extant phenomena'. Their job is to understand poo poo like the weather and aetheric currents, and help apply that to the work of others. There's a note in Ktisis that says that the Fandaniel before Hermes helped figure out migratory birds because he understood magnetic fields. It's actually why it was important that Hermes knew stuff about dynamis; as Fandaniel that would've been in his domain anyway.

Hermes is good at birds as an individual, but that's not a job description thing, that's just him. Like how Lahabrea was apparently real good at fire stuff.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

We can still blame him for bird bosses being assholes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cleretic posted:

Final Fantasy XIV 7.0: Birds Aren't Real

e: wait, then what have I been riding all this time?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Nessus posted:

A feathered dinosaur.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nessus posted:

It's like when you start Shadowbringer and meet that guy with his Chocobo and then later when you talk to the Amaro guy and bring up Chocobos he's like "what the gently caress are you talking about?"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ivypls posted:

yeah pretty sure when it comes to plot-significant birds fancy dan is your fancy man

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Up until halfway through Endwalker, Zodiark was blocking Meteion's song, but not perfectly. Enough of it was getting through that "birds are loving assholes" seeped into everyone's consciousness

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

It's like when you start Shadowbringer and meet that guy with his Chocobo and then later when you talk to the Amaro guy and bring up Chocobos he's like "what the gently caress are you talking about?"

I think that's mostly because chocobos are a lot rarer on the remaining part of the First, so the amaro guy is just confused because you're fixated on some vanishingly uncommon bird, rather than the one everyone uses.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

This is only surprising if you never played the NES Ninja Gaiden.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Zomborgon posted:

I think that's mostly because chocobos are a lot rarer on the remaining part of the First, so the amaro guy is just confused because you're fixated on some vanishingly uncommon bird, rather than the one everyone uses.

That dude's bird may have been the last Chocobo in the whole land. And they both got eaten by a Sin Eater.

Or the bird turned into a Sin Eater and ate him.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Qwertycoatl posted:

Up until halfway through Endwalker, Zodiark was blocking Meteion's song, but not perfectly. Enough of it was getting through that "birds are loving assholes" seeped into everyone's consciousness

the shoebill is basically the first thing the song made people conjure up

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/belletff14/status/1526981112152887297?s=21&t=kW2_3wDdfmkkKWV4Ig7LNw

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
And now, a random lore question to chew on during maintenance.

Which loving member of the Ascians came up with the Rejoinings? Not asking on a moral level, we know those guys don't have those, I'm wondering who came up with the idea of 'what if we apocalypse'd an entire shard to melt it into uniform aetheric slag to pour into the Source'.

And who then came up with the additional plan of 'okay that didn't work, what if we nuked the Source at the same time we melted a shard'? Who the hell came to those conclusions and believed that would work!?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Lahabrea, for the shits and giggles, and Emet-Selch because he just cannot tolerate that kind of shoddy craftsmanship.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
Despite all of the Rejoining lore we have, we still don't have much of an explanation for their mechanics besides "lol, elemental balance/connection", so it's hard to infer which Ascian came up with it because of that. Probably one of the 3 Unsundered though, simply from the idea that they still have their memories.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

We also don't know if the Ascians had to do anything under the hood to cause an elemental imbalance on a shard to link with a large release of that element on the source.

If they don't, if they just need to get the two set up, then the implication is that a Rejoining/Calamity can happen wholly on accident.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I suspect that what Ryne and Gaia do for the First is within the ballpark of what the Ascians were trying to do for the Source.
Not a 1:1 comparison, but similar principles at least

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Argas posted:

Lahabrea, for the shits and giggles, and Emet-Selch because he just cannot tolerate that kind of shoddy craftsmanship.

yea the little we know of the actual process feels very Lahabrea with a splash of Emet looking over his shoulder at his notes going 'what the gently caress are you even doing, no give me that you've got this all wrong'.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

SirPhoebos posted:

We also don't know if the Ascians had to do anything under the hood to cause an elemental imbalance on a shard to link with a large release of that element on the source.

If they don't, if they just need to get the two set up, then the implication is that a Rejoining/Calamity can happen wholly on accident.

We can probably presume, from how things went very out of whack just from ONE THING going wrong on The First, that there is some kind of a ritual and a procedure to how this is all supposed to go on a Shard. Most likely, the harder part is whatever happens on the Shard, and the Source will largely handle things on its own once initial conditions are Just So.

Otherwise, it doesn't make a lot of sense that Emet-Selch would go to The First to keep an eye on things while his grandson worked on causing warcrimes back home.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The hardest part is probably timing, which is confounded by the way time seems to change speed on the shards.

The actual rejoining seems to occur when a shard's Lifestream flows into the Lifestream of the Source, and since Emet-Selch was the afterlife expert he was presumably the one who made that work somehow. Whoever came up with The Plan, he's the one who had to make it work and it died with him.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

FuturePastNow posted:

The hardest part is probably timing, which is confounded by the way time seems to change speed on the shards.

The actual rejoining seems to occur when a shard's Lifestream flows into the Lifestream of the Source, and since Emet-Selch was the afterlife expert he was presumably the one who made that work somehow. Whoever came up with The Plan, he's the one who had to make it work and it died with him.

I wouldn't be shocked if the procedure was something they had worked out for any sufficiently powerful member to do, otherwise we wouldn't have had Mitron and Logrif getting in over their heads. But things were SO IMPORTANT that Emet wasn't going to leave THIS to anyone less important than himself.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Gearhead posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if the procedure was something they had worked out for any sufficiently powerful member to do, otherwise we wouldn't have had Mitron and Logrif getting in over their heads. But things were SO IMPORTANT that Emet wasn't going to leave THIS to anyone less important than himself.

Also I'm guessing that as soon as the Crystal Tower appeared on the First from loving nowhere, Emet was thinking, "I'd better keep my eye on this."

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

The blasphemer, uncontrite, must be punished mightily.

Cleretic posted:

And who then came up with the additional plan of 'okay that didn't work, what if we nuked the Source at the same time we melted a shard'? Who the hell came to those conclusions and believed that would work!?

I think this is glossing over the fact that the Ancients in general and the Convocation in particular was very good with both aether and its theory, and had a developed empirical testing regime in Amaurot. Given that it was one of their own who developed the principles of Sundering, it’s not really hard to believe that they could reverse engineer it and work out a counter. Honestly, sacrificing one shard to get experimental data when your end goal is to resurrect a god who could fix your error is (ignoring the moral dimensions) a sensible idea.

It’s possible it was a single Ascian who came up with the initial concept (and if so it seems likely it was Emet-Selch based on what we know of their specialities) but more likely it was a collective research project from what we’ve seen.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

SirPhoebos posted:

Also I'm guessing that as soon as the Crystal Tower appeared on the First from loving nowhere, Emet was thinking, "I'd better keep my eye on this."

'If I'm especially lucky, I might even get a chance to slap around Fandaniel's clone. For some reason I feel like I really should...'

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Gearhead posted:

'If I'm especially lucky, I might even get a chance to slap around Fandaniel's clone. For some reason I feel like I really should...'

Meanwhile I’m sitting here imagining Fandaniel going “for some reason I want to kill the unsundered even more today” when Emet pulls out his “Allag was MY baby” speech to G’raha.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I really wanna post this on the main thread, but ... spoilers and Twitter don't go together. :smith:
https://twitter.com/erikadandelion/status/1504440990685351939?t=NWlAVGfmAfurfm5zELicPw&s=19

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Do we know if the 13th was the first attempt at a rejoining or just a failed one.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Do we know if the 13th was the first attempt at a rejoining or just a failed one.

Emet-Selch definitely implies it's the first serious effort, if not the first at all. And given none of the other shards are horrific post-apocalyptic hellscapes that even the Ascians wrote off, it was probably the only failed attempt.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I think that it's confirmed as their first attempt and only failure (pre-WoL)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Which of course means that Unukalhai and Cylva are the oldest characters we know of who are not an unsundered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

hopeandjoy posted:

Which of course means that Unukalhai and Cylva are the oldest characters we know of who are not an unsundered.

and they look like, 14 years old. wake up sheeple! the sundering never happened!