Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sorry, to spell something out discussed upthread:

Elidibus that we knew & encountered was a primal. (Splintered from Zodiark, embodying & empowered by heroism.)
Original Elidibus, (or well, the Ascian/Amurotian that last held that office?) sacrificed themselves to bring forth Zodiark originally?

But the other Ascians we've encountered, (Emet-Selch) they were not primals, right?

But didn't all the convocation sacrifice themselves for Zodiark, save the 14th?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

At this point I think it might be a good time to bite down on that and just put romance paths in the next expansion, since the main story is coming to an end.

Oh god. It took me forever to pick a side for the Neir stuff (and that seems inconsequential?) don't make me chose who to partner my WoL with, it's too hard.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I am musically dumb but I enjoy this guy's analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM0F7YAtW4s

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arist posted:

He's fun, I've been following him for a while. I love how he's so into the motifs :3:

Yeah, I stumbled upon his video for The Twinning / A Long Fall awhile back and it was a real treat. I think I have a pretty bad ear, but I love seeing people break apart music and explain where all the motifs come from.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sherry Bahm posted:

Not to mention the implication that there's other shards of the Source out there.
Specifically, we just had a storybeat about the Thirteenth maybe not being beyond salvaging?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I noticed during the Thavanir show-off, the zone had the same aetheryte as Sharlayan, but Radz-At-Han had a different one.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Have people documented all the visible towers that showed up in 5.5? I noticed one in Dravanian Forelands today (at least, I think it was that, there was dust storm weather) - I know we see ones in The Lochs and Outer La Noscea because the story draws attention to them, and I assume one is visible in Southern Thanalan?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

e: I'm half expecting Sharlayan to be a bit later into the story, though HW and ShB gave us access to the new capitals really quickly, making Kugane the odd one out.

Can someone give me a refresher on Zenos, Fandanial, the fall of Garlameld, and the timeline?

From what I recall, we have our battle with Zenos in Ala Mihgo, then he fuses with Shinryu, which we defeat. We later find out Zenos' body went missing or something, and we got a stinger of what turned out to be Zenos in someone else's body? Then I guess through the SB patch series we got the occasional stinger of him making his way back to Garlameld, and hints of what was to come with Garlameld? I think we were to presume Zenos got jacked up with the echo by the one scientist dude who experimented on Krile?

Asahi gets off'd by Yotsuyu, in what, 4.3? When did Fandanial first turns up, in ShB? Do we know much about why Fandaniel has/chose Asahi's body? Did we have an early warning about Asahi's body vanishing?

I remember some cutscenes with Elidibus? in the capital with the Varis, where they laid out the lie that Garlemeld was built on? Varis gets off by Zenos (witnessed by Enstinien and Gaius?) How'd Zenos get is proper body back?

Then I think Zenos and Fandaniel have been kinda chilling in the capital while everything goes to poo poo and they lay plans. Does many other people know about the lie of Garlemeld, or is it all just power struggle/civil war?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 17, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Moofia Boss Val posted:

5.5 spoilers

About 15 years before Stormblood: Zenos backstory happens
5 years before ARR: FFXIV 1.0 happens. Gaius and the XIVth Legion move into Eorzea. Gaius was the former governor of Ala Mhigo, so Zenos takes over as governor with his XIIth Legion. Zenos is bored so he begins acting brutally trying to create people really motivated to fight him.
ARR happens
Emperor Solus passes away. Succession war begins. Domans take opportunity to revolt but Zenos puts it down. Zenos is bored. Installs Yotsuyu and has her begin engineering the situation to create more people for him to fight.
Heavnesward happens. Lahabrea dies. Emet-Selch comes out of retirement and begins pushing Varis from the shadows.
Stormblood begins
Krile is captured and experimented upon by Dr. Aulus. Fordola and Zenos receive the Resonant (botched version of the Resonant).
Zenos possesses Shinryu but is defeated in a trial and commits suicide. He is buried in an unmarked grave.
Stormblood patches begin.
Elidibus possesses Zenos' body and travels/teleports back to the Garlean capital.
Somehow, Zenos' soul is still hanging around, and he possesses the corpse of a nearby Elezen resistance soldier (note: how Zenos survived is currently unexplained. According to ARR and HW lore, in order for your soul to avoid going back to the Lifestream, you need to have 1. the Echo and 2. a crystal of darkness. We know from the Zenos short story that he probably carries crystals around, but a crystal of darkness specifically? Unlikely).
Zenos begins travelling from Ala Mhigo to the Garlean capital.
Emet-Selch leaves the Source to go engineer the situation on the First.
Zenos gets into the Imperial Palace. Elidibus is scared of Zenos, leaves Zenos' body and flees. Zenos repossesses his body and kills his dad. He then waltzes off and watched as Lord Nera and other opportunists try to take over Garlemald.
Elidibus heads to the First, leaving no Unsundered left on the Source. Fandaniel decides to collaborate with Zenos, tells him about Amaurot and the Final Days and the rejoinings.
Zenos reveals that he has dreamed of the Final Days every night of his life. Fandaniel ponders if Emet-Selch succeeded at something with Zenos. This has not been explained yet. (Zenos having this dream every night is apparently a retcon of the Zenos backstory, where at the end of the story he had a good night's sleep).
Zenos returns to the Imperial Palace and kills everyone, takes over as emperor.
Fandaniel suspects that Elidibus has died on the First. With no Unsundered left, Fandaniel decides to begin moving forward with his Final Days plans.
Fandaniel, posing as Asahi, becomes Emperor Zenos' new steward. He orders the construction of the towers, which temper people so more people can build more towers and people can be inserted into the towers. The towers summon Lunar primals.

Cheers.

so it's more that Fandaniel just took on Asahi's form for funsies? To gently caress with Zenos? No real explanation yet?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think there's an angle from Cythereal that I can kind see get, and that's maybe that it would be better if there wasn't a greater evil/threat that the Amaurotians faced, because that could very well lead to just another thing for us to go and punch. But it feels hard to balance that without making it too much into "the Amaurotians are responsible for their own downfall."

It certainly feels like things are building up in a way that the truth of the end of days will be relevant, but it also feels very much like Fandaniel is mostly just creating a simulation of it or something?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, there's a pretty stark difference of "sacrificing the inhabitants of 13 worlds*" and "potentially sacrificing a single timeline of people potentially doomed to suffering"

* Wait, are there 13 or 14 shards? It's The Source (ours) + 13 shards, right?

Nessus posted:

Nobody made the Ascians go sacrifice-crazy (other than, possibly, tempering by Zodiark, maybe, who knows); they could have, post-sundering and such, set out to rebuild the world and make glories greater than the old, but they did not do that.
I think the problem with that is that everyone's soul was sundered across many worlds, rejoining was rebuilding to them. It'd be like try to put a lego set back together better with one thirteenth of the pieces. Everyone they knew as effectively scattered to the winds, but there was a way to bring them back.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

(Bozja stuff) Is The Queen in Delubrum Reginae a (visual) reference to something from another FF game? Something about that contraption feels familiar. That or, they nailed aesthetic so incredibly well I can just imagine an old school SNES sprite of it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, Grand Cosmos and Holminster Switch both share the Lakeland motif since they're considered Lakeland dungeons/adjacent.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm not quite sure what the Zadnor choice leads to. (Alluding to spoilers at R25 It sure feels like the outcome should be the same?

Moofia Boss Val posted:

But it's true. Out of the 5 nations the WoL helps establish a new government in, 4 of them became democracies: Ishgard gets a House of Commons. Ala Mhigo, Eulmore, and Bozja (don't know if it does but it's obvious that's what's going to happen there) became democratic republics, and the story bent over backwards to demonize monarchy and glorify democracy. And then we have Charlemand's custom delievery questline, where he is a high ranking stogy noble who - within just a few quests - leaps to wanting every Ishgardian citizen to be equal? What?

You're going to have to try a little harder to explain why the story going "actually its good when governance is not determined by birthright" is somehow a bad thing.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

I gotta say, pretending to forget entire swathes of the game and then making poo poo up whole cloth to support posts like like "Monarchism Is Good" or "Forchenault Did Nothing Wrong, Except Live In A Democracy" is kinda funny

"-sigh- I once again can't believe how biased the game is towards democracy" is possibly the strongest.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Well it's also that he wants us pissed/giving it our all, rather then "oh, you again, lets just get this over with."

I'm worried he's going to off someone we do genuinely care about. (Or well, at least most players care about.)

e: Now I'm imagining Zenos killing someone he thinks we care about, but don't actually.
Zenos, standing infront of a village of slain Namazu: "Does this boil your blood, dear friend? Is your thirst for vengence great?"
WoL: -shrug-

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

While I assume 6.0 will be finishing the primary story, of Zodiark, Hydalean and Ascians and all that junk, I kind of assume 6.x will be a lot of smaller closure and post mortem as we maybe help out with the aftermath of things around the places we've been before, and kind of plan for the future, while obviously building up whatever new threat/adventure will be in 7.0. Like, I can't imagine the break between 6.0 and 6.1 is going to be so dramatic, because of the work involved?

The culmination of Bozja: Seems to be maybe setting up that the liberation of Dalmasca / the Fourth Legion are still something to be dealt with? Nothing about EW's story seems to suggest they'll be dealt with there, and I can't imagine they'll just die off screen unceremoniously. Maybe it will just be the EW version of Bozja/Eureka.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

A time skip seems like it would be a nightmare. You’d have to update the entire game to have changed for how long the time skip has been, or else you’d have places that are years in the past, like WoW.

Finished Bozja. The Diablo Armament was really loving cool. It’s really loving weird that they hid an epilogue to the story in Gabranth’s field notes. Seems like either Lyon killed him because he realized that Gabranth was going to die before achieving anything but still drag his troops with him, or they’re doing some weird rear end con where they just pretend he’s dead for reasons. Frankly, I’m not sure which is true

Huh, that seems odd given the whole cutscene stinger where he was presented some special weapons? Like a took that as a big hint for future content.

Side note, god I hate Lyon.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It seems super bizarre to have the stinger cutscene, then the field notes be like "nah, he dead," ... although the notes also make a point to say that noone is sure it was actually him, and Lyon and others are still at large.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't know if I'd entirely call Sorrows of Werylt a "feel good redemption story," like, I guess Gauis gets his cool moment, but it feels less like redemption and more like atonement?

Badger of Basra posted:

When the screen at the end came up and said CHAPTER FOUR RETURN OF THE QUEEN, did that mean we had just finished chapter four, or we're just starting it?

Yes.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dang, I didn't notice that Diablo Armament music had Diabolos leitmotif because the former is actually good.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like the past/future could be cool, particularly if presented similarly to The First? Maybe not directly impacting our timeline, or "here's some society we've heard about numerous times at it's height"

But I think I'd rather see other parts of the world first, as well.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gearhead posted:

To explain:

Why was Aether stagnating in places? Was it simply because of the pressure of SO MUCH Dynamis being levelled against the Celestial currents that they started to weaken?

Wasn't it specifically Celestial Currents? They were just naturally weaker in some places, much like normal aether is strong in places but weaker in others. But also, Meteion made an ultimatum, right - she basically gave them time to try to prove life on the star was worthwhile or something to that effect, but when that time was up, she started bombarding the planet with dynamis. Zodiark was basically a shield/blanket of aether that prevented the dynamis from getting in at all.

Badger of Basra posted:

I think you're correct

also overall MSQ spoiler: I understand the moral of the game is that living matters and that you can't just give up in the face of despair but man, if someone told me that every other civilization in the universe had offed themselves out of hopelessness about the future I'd be pretty loving sad too
honestly the last zone and dungeon actually was kind of really effective on wearing on me in that sort of way? Like, Amaurot was a cool dungeon that has this great insight, but level of tragedy to it. The Dead Ends was kind of just a threefold bummer.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gearhead posted:

She was kinda throwing everything she had at the team. I suspect that the moment Thancred pulled his stunt she was thrown off balance. Specially curated levels of misery and suffering, just trying to BURY the party in tragedy. She was scared. I don't think she'd run into people expecting her and prepared for her before.
Maybe. I think what we saw might have been some of the worst tragedies she encountered, or some of the best examples. I think some of them were mentioned during her report (I'd be curious to hear/see if they are the same right down to the number designations.) But yeah - in a lot of ways I think she was throwing up defenses because she had sort of committed to the despair.

Some thoughts on Zone #5 (but basically full MSQ spoilers)
I was not expecting for it to be proper time travel meddling - given the previous example of time travel creating a divergence, I was fully expecting that we would leave Elpis with the knowledge that Dynamis was the cause, and the unshattered world we visited would be a split time line that may also avoid disaster, that we would maybe be able to check in on sometime later. But for it to be a fully on stable time loop / timey-wimey shenanignas was great when all was said and done. Also as an aside, upon seeing the zone, I thought back to the live letter where they decided to only show concept, since basically any in-game shots would give away too much. They're right, pretty much any architecture would have made people immediately clock it, at least as Amurotiain.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I find myself thinking about some of the "smaller" revelations, or just stuff in general going forward: (full spoilers)

That tempering isn't a natural effect of summoning - I think we have already seen a few examples of primals that don't temper, right? I also like that we didn't get the "we were tempered by Hydaelyn" revelation as well.

I'm curious though - with Hydaelyn gone, do we still have the blessing of light & echo? I kind of assume so, with it being something /given/ to us? And there was the scene Venat showed us how to look into the past at a location, not just through someone's heart, that feels like it might be relevant in the future.

Dynamis explaining our ability to push beyond, like how echo explained how we see telegraphs, is a fun touch too.

I'm so so curious to see where things could go next. Emet certainly teased a whole ton of possibilities to explore (including the raid series) - but it's wild how just about everything we knew is off the table.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

(Post MSQ stuff): Seems like there's opportunities to catch up/check in with NPCs around the world? I noticed the Gunbreaker Job trainer in Revenant's toll and he had some stuff to say about how things are going, I also caught the girl from the RDM quests as well.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

End I hope the Scions don't reunite too soon, give the WoL some adventures on their own.
I very much want to take G'raha up on his offer/request to adventure with me. I would love to have some chill adventures with him, he's very much earned it. Wherever we go next, I do hope we have a friend or two to come along, but we certainly don't need the whole crew. Like to that end, didn't all of ShB's patch dungeons offer scenario trusts? Granted, with scenario they can fill in spots with random NPCs, and avatar mode is non-canon, but I figure we'll be checking in with friends in the patch content. Gosh I'm super curious what the post patch dungeons will be in EW.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RE, tank (and to a degree, healer) role quests:

Broke: Fordola doesn't deserve redemption
Woke: The elements don't deserve redemption.

I kind of hope we get to punch some representation of the elements at some point.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The End Days causes "Apocalypse" weather for the EW zones we see it in, I'm guessing it was the case for Amarot as well.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Something I noticed/felt - a lot of the dungeon bosses basically feel like trial level enemies. Like, in particular, Stormblood and Shadowbringers' preview sites revealed the leveling primals (Susano & Lakshmi, Titania & Innocence) Endwalker's site previews the Magus Sisters and Anima, who are both primals, but end up only being dungeon bosses.

While we have had an Ascian as a dungeon boss before, Hermes certainly had trial boss vibes to me, and Amon is a former alliance raid boss.

Vanaspati feels like the one exception outside of the level 90 dungeons.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh yeah, I didn't mean mechanically, just narratively. Like that's where we are with stakes and power - primals once were 8 man trials are now 4 man dungeon bosses.

I guess that was the case in Paglth'an and the duty after with the Lunar Primals as well.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Speaking of feeling weird about plotlines, does anyone else feel put off by the tank role quest?

Like it's hard not to feel like the the great one/the elements are kind of selfish dicks. I probably have my shroud lore slightly wrong, but aren't the elements involved in the whole kidnap children to be padjali thing?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is the .3/4/5 trials being the remaining fiends + boss too obvious?

If I recall they outright said the remaining patch story would be all (or primarily) 13th related? Part of me wonders if 6.2 is basically the MSQ template till 7.0 (foray into the 13th, dungeon, trial, return) on one hand, I can't imagine there wont be a curve ball, on the other, I half imagine they want to give as much attention/content to the 13th as they can since I doubt it will be the setting of it's own expansion or continue to be unresolved?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gearhead posted:

And yes. He blew up the game world and shut the thing down for MONTHS between 1.x and 2.0. There's been a bit of a joke for a while about how Deathwing was loose for a year or more and failed to blow up the world, while Bahamut was free for like.. a minute.. and pulled it off.
Nit picking, but Deathwing did blow up the world, (at least, if revamping the world is the definition of blowing it up in the case of both) he just continued to terrorize noobs for the months following.

Zeruel posted:

Do we know for certain that the Shards AREN'T other FF games repackaged? First is, well, FF1 with the WoL class, the 13th seems to be FF4. That means one of the other shards must have blitzball!
Thankfully/unfortunately it was one of the shards rejoined in a previous sundering. We are all safe from having to encountering Waka.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

"slightly reckless and impulsive" might be a more accurate but less punchy/succinct way of describing the way Azem probably is.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

w/r/t Golbez stuff the specific framing/cinematic language of having WoL transition into Golbez in the cutscenes, and then Durante fighting you as if you're Golbez, leaving the head out of frame, as well as describing Golbez and someone who never game up / never stopped believing in others, particularly when Zero's whole thing is "the WoL big inspired me," feel like heavy nods to Golbez paralleling the WoL, if not literally being a Azem shard.

Rand Brittain posted:

Also, Nophica: "Please stop being mean to the elementals; they're doing their best."
The specific wording that I dont quite remember bugged me something like "they mean well" okay sure. They could try a little harder.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Regarding a thing at the End of MSQ - Reddit post thinks it's a hint to Green Mage since clovers show up on a lot of green mage designs? TMNT = Green, and also Green Mage has had Shell. Maybe the clover has nothing to do with the new job, but honestly it feels like a good guess, and feels maybe a little more realistic then Time Mage or Painter, given all the presumptions Krile will take on the new caster job. As comments point out, it will probably a Sage situation where the job is mostly reimagined for FFXIV since it's previous identity is a bit weak/doesn't fit in nicely.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm not going to get offended on someone else's behalf, and it's a good reminder to be mindful when worrying about cultural sensitivity on others behalf, but "only white people can do a cultural appropriation" feels very eye-rolly.

Some Mexicans absolutely love Speedy Gonzales. I don't think there's a one sized fits all answer to "what is and isn't cultural appropriation or culturally insensitive" short of just listening to what actual people say. Nor do I think "well this demographic ate it up and loved it" is a sole answer/defense because regional groups aren't monoliths either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nessus posted:

Also it's going to be hosed up when we eventually see one of the other shards because wouldn't they all have traditional elemental alignments, rather than light/dark?

Watch Yoshi-P say the real world is the Umbral/Lightning shard

I assume those traditional alignments don't really matter unless you're an Ascian trying to tip the balance? Like the 1st and 13th are respectively very light and dark because they were forced into being unbalanced.

The other shards that still remain, are presumably just fairly normal worlds. The ones that are gone, probably did experience some kind of flood of <element> prior to being rejoined though, but were normal up until that point.