Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Just gonna list out the Ascians just so we know who's still running around:

Loghrif - Killed by Ardbert's crew
Mitron - Killed by Ardbert's crew
Emet-Selch - Killed by WoL
Pashtarot - ????? Title: Knight-Star
Fandaniel - Hanging out with Zenos, Title: the Protector
Halmarut - ????, Title: the Arbiter
Nabriales - Killed by Scions
Igeyorhm - Killed together with Lahabrea
Deudalaphon - ????, Title: the Benevolent
Emmerololth - Killed in Eureka
Lahabrea - Double dead
Elidbus - Killed by WoL
Unknown Ascian associated with Ultima/Virgo/Light - ???????

These are the main ones that match up with the Scions from Ivalice, but there's also Travanchet who's currently MIA, and the last we heard of him was showing up in flashbacks for Alexander. It's possible he was just one of the above though.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Everyone has the potential to have the Echo

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Mad Wack posted:

your chocobo is obviously a primal

I mean, outside of the first couple of EXs, the rest of the EX primal trials are literally just the WoL meditating super hard on their memories to become stronger. We are just conjuring mounts and weapons by reliving our memories really hard.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Fandaniel being the 5th Ascian in zodiac order does make me want to speculate that the next expansion will be FFV themed. Emet happened to be the 3rd Ascian which happened to line up with Crystal Tower/FF3 so something to note. Also coincidentally, the 4th, 6th, 7th, and 10th Ascians are all currently missing and not stated to be dead yet. It's possible it's just super coincidental though.

What shoots down this speculation is just Eureka already existing as the hybrid of FFV and XI. Though the 11th Ascian did die in Eureka though so who knows

Allarion fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 13, 2020

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Mister Olympus posted:

I've never heard of any zodiac order correlation, at least not one as consistent as the legion numbers.

I was just using the zodiac numbers as they're usually listed of Aries → Taurus → Gemini → Cancer → Leo → Virgo → Libra → Scorpio → Sagittarius → Capricorn → Aquarius → Pisces. So just interesting coincidences in how some of them line up

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I am genuinely curious what yoko taro will go with for the 11th hour twist to it all, as well if he’d attempt the equivalent to just deleting our characters. Actually would be a funny raid mechanic if one or two raid parties will have to die just to buff the main party. Also kinda curious where the dwarf story arc is going in nier since that seems like the arc you’d be going with considering how little we’ve gotten with 2P and 2b

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Turns out the First is just another timeline from another Drakengard ending

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Waffleman_ posted:

I still love that Emet loved the theater so much that they had to ban it after he died because his family was sick of it.

Even better was him supporting the troupe whose whole goal was to dig up and tell the real story about what happened to Ivalice

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
We even got to see the the echo used against us when we fought Ardbert and crew

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Ironslave posted:

why are people assuming the twelve couldn't be summoned. at no point i remember has this been indicated to be the case

Louisoix sorta tried to summon them at the end of 1.0. It didn’t exactly work in the expected way

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Ironslave posted:

yeah, Louie wasn't trying to summon the Twelve, and I don't remember seeing anything of the sort about the Twelve not being capable of being summoned in EE. Contrary to it, in ARR the Ascians are trying to get some Ala Mhigan refugees to do it. The game's pretty direct suggested (over and over and over again, thanks Gaius) that there isn't any difference between the Twelve and any other gods held by any other culture.

Maybe that'll end up not being the case in Endwalker, but at present the game hasn't really suggested the Twelve are special compared to any other faith.

The fact that Louiesoix thought he could invoke the Twelve without having them go primal does imply there's something different about them. Gaius writing them off as the same as other gods is more likely to just be Garlean bias.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Yeah, it’s not exactly summoning the 12, but similar enough that people were concerned aboit it. Also gaius assuming it was the same

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also another thing to note is that the 12 have been established as existing since at least as long as the Allagan empire, if not long before that considering Azeyma and Azim seem to be based off Azem. Another lowkey mysteries is where Louis's staff originated from since it had the equivalence of a ton of crystals for summoning a primal or killing an Ascian, and was one of Sharlyan's treasures, so probably something that might be dug into when we go to Sharlyan.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
We'll probably get an update on what's up with the Ascians with Pandemonium anyways since Lahabrea's gonna be hanging out there

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

sexpig by night posted:

I think at the end of the day the thing is 'Emet never knowingly lied to us'. He's tempered, we know that fucks with your perceptions, and the way he talks I think it's pretty impossible to say it's all an act. Like, we see the 'real him' at times, when he sees us un our unsundered form for a second he looks genuinely shook like 'oh gently caress I was wrong these things can actually touch the lofty bar I set for them' and has to dismiss it as a trick of the light. That was as close to a 'lie' as we got from him knowingly. Up until them he was pretty upfront about things, he didn't even regard us as living beings so 'killing' us was meaningless, our literal existence offended him not just because he was an rear end in a top hat but because it made him remember his people's extinction. That's what his creation of Amaurot was, a sliver of what he truly held as his deepest memories of his people that he knew were gone for good, through the lens of Zodiark's tempering. If we were to confront him on it it wouldn't matter because to him that IS Amaurot, that's how Ascian creation works. It being underwater wasn't to avoid criticism or argument, it was to get the gently caress away from the things he saw as grotesquery and obscenity.

Like, imagine if you lived in a world where a zombie outbreak happened and 99.99% of the population became shambling zombies that kinda mostly looked like humans but also were clearly just rotting corpses shuffling around. You'd probably want to make some place to live far from that, not because you're worried that some zombie's gonna shamble in and destroy your viewpoint with logic and reason but because zombies are loving disgusting and traumatic to be around 24/7.

There is some decent parallels you could make with the Ascians and the book version of I Am Legend, it's true.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Gonna guess that SCH will get more party buffs, assuming that Sage will be the Shield equivalent to WHM's DPS regen, then SCH would be the buff shielder to AST's buff regen.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, I would say Elidbus and Emet Selch are both pretty dead considering their story had a pretty weighty narrative finality to it. The reason one could argue Lahabrea isn't dead outside of the teaser of the Pandemonium raids showing his face, is because his "deaths" never had the same kind of narrative finality. It was just him continually getting punked, and we never actually got to know him as a character like we did with Emet Selch and Elidbus, hence why no one ever took Acians seriously as antagonists till Shadowbringers dropped.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Emet being the sponsor for the Prima Vista is still one of my favorite understated background details in what it says about his character and its just a nice thematic touch of him sponsoring the group that’s intent on telling a true history

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Jetrauben posted:

He pretty explicitly states that he doesn't actually cause the disasters, he just enables humanity to do it to themselves. He hands people technology, weapons and opportunity and they act on it. It's a superficial distinction but it seems important to him.

Emet's handiwork even seems to produce genuinely prosperous nations in the early stages, it just also tends to degenerate into imperialist brutality.

It kinda ties into how he always hopes sundered people can do better, and then they let him down when compared to his memories.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I mean there's always the Guild Wars 1 solution of just going to a New World and re-earning their title and reputation and allowing new players an easy jumping point of also being a new adventurer, though the main problem with that would be either constructing some alternate leveling zone, or they just start at 80/90. There's also just the 1.0 solution of just throwing the WoL forward in time again too especially given the game has already set up the breadcrumbs with the Adventurer's Guild kids and Doman kids someday reuniting in the future. Though this still runs into the problem of setting up some new leveling experience for newer players to jump into, which isn't unsolveable, just a bit more difficult with job stories involved.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It’s not like you need religious belief to summon Odin anyways. As long as people know about the legend, a version should be summonable. Presumably, if you strapped enough Ishgardians to a tower, you could get a lunar shiva or even lunar pope, and neither of those are worshipped deities.

And the supercomputer from the Smn job quests already assumes that a primal version of our WoL should be possible to create an egi of now.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 9, 2021

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Hell considering Odin takes the form of one of us, Lunar Odin’s real identity could just be a Lunar version of a theoretical primal version of our Warrior of Light, since people might not hope for Odin to save them, but they sure hope for the WoL at this point. And the two get meshed together in their mind like when the WoL reimagined ramuh and ixion fused together, among other things.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Odin is a sword. Lunar Odin is not a sword, or doesn’t drop one anyways.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Arcanist will just be weird from 1-30 with the removal of dots. They will still get their egi right away with an egi version of Titan’s shield. It’s still unclear if egis will still auto-attack since it’s possible they turned that off for the demo, or they just buffed ruin more to make up for the dps loss. Gem Brilliance which is the egi aoe is at lvl 26, so presumably Gem shine is earlier at some point. This also implies they still do something before we get the primal augmenting. I’m making a guess that outburst will be bumped up earlier too just cause Acn practically isn’t get getting anything for 10+ levels with bio, bio2, miasma, and bane gone, and they’re gonna be missing an aoe if pet auto-attacks are gone outside of gem brilliance. 30-50 will be interesting to see what they replace EA2 with, since acn already got gem brilliance at 26. We know painflare does get bumped up earlier to 40, but should be interesting to see if they start giving you primal stuff to play around with that early outside of the capstone of enkindle, since gotta give something for summoner outside of glamouring their carb. Smn will have leveling weirdness regardless cause they’ll still be msq locked from their summons too. The HW skills being bumped up earlier also means there’s currently a void of skills from 50-60 too, with ruin 3 and trance being the only known retained things. Tri-disaster replaces outburst at 74 now.

Becoming a scholar will be funny though just cause they’re immediately relearn bio.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Scholar pretty much is its own job now since the only thing it shares with acn is ruin, physick, and resurrection.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Here's the roundup of known Summoner skills based off the liveletter if anyone wants a refresh before everything is revealed on Wednesday. Just fun to speculate how Arcanist looks now with all the gutting.

https://twitter.com/akhmorning/status/1440876530519969793?s=20

And here's what a lvl 30 arcanist looks like based off what we know.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Garuda is when you wanna be fast casting like a machinist shooting heat blast. It does less dmg, but you'll have fired 2 garuda shots for every 1 titan shot.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, I’m sure the theorycrafters will work it out, but I’m pretty sure Garuda is what you wanna be doing for your buff timers since its fast recast times means it’s effectively higher dps than Titan within 6 seconds.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Specifically, the Smn burst window of 30 secs would look like 20 secs of baha/Phoenix and then either 2 shots of ifrit or 4 shots of Garuda to finish it out. Garuda might give you enough of a window to get something else in there too.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Actually, I completely missed how Titan works, so my theorycrafting is long off. Titan doesn’t machine gun in the same way as Garuda, but it generates its own Ogcd to weave so it might end up the stronger one outta the two in certain circumstances. Summoner is very flexible!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Gearhead posted:

I think one of the possibilities for how they explain Reaper as a class might be that our ghost helper in that form MIGHT be some fragment of Hades who hasn't completely been dissolved yet. He might intervene to save us from Zenos trying to gently caress us up during the initial fake victory push, and it might explain how he's the narrator.

I doubt this solely for the fact that Reaper will unlock at 70, and new job storylines always sorta retconned themselves into happening in the previous expansion, so semi-canonically, a reaper WoL came to the First and met Emet there.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You don't need faith to summon a primal. (Zodiark, Hydaelyn, Bahamut, Shinryu, Enkidu are all non religious summonings). It helps, and most primals are religious figures, but they aren't all.

You just need people that want to summon him, and the aether to power him. Lunar Odin has that in spades.

Beast tribes have an image of their diety they can summon, people of the Shroud have Odin's image.

Additionally the fact that Shiva and King Thordan exist already show its not necessarily faith and worship that’ll summon a primal. It’s just having a belief in a concept that allows for it, so parents scaring their kids with spooky stories about the scary sword man in the woods is probably enough to generate a lunar odin if enough are strapped into a tower. Similarly, the SMN job quests had a smn supercomputer imply that our WoL is conceptually well-known enough that they could generate an egi outta us, so theoretically a primal version of us is possible.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Gearhead posted:

Honestly, the thing I may be looking forward to the most is the idea that Hades is, somehow, going to be our narrator for this.

I'd love to hear the thoughts and opinions of Hades, unvarnished by Tempering, and his reflections on how severely hosed everything became when he and his pals lost a chunk of their agency to Zodiark.

Gonna somewhat rain on everyone's parade a bit just by saying that the narrator of Endwalker isn't necessarily Hades, since the launch trailer narrator for Shadowbringers was Exarch, but the real narrator ended up being Ardbert, (though Ardbert did get a line in the launch trailer).

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Algid posted:

The recording of Venat and friends did not mention any consideration of the new life though. That was the assumption of a shade Emet Selch created. Their actual stated reason was that Zodiark didn't provide a real solution to the final days, which the EW trailer seems to support if whatever Fandaniel is doing just turned it back on.

To be fair, we did kill the heart of Zodiark so that might have opened up something

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
That's why Maxima's there to make sure actual delegation work gets done. How was he to know his superior is a spiteful rear end in a top hat?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I still expect there'll eventually be a timeskip, just to reunite the Doman Adventurer's Guild. I doubt it'll be next expansion, but feels like a plot thread that's bound to pick up again at some point.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

TGLT posted:

Aren't they all just at the Doman enclave's school?

The guild comprised of them with the Mor Dhona kids. There was a nice scene of the guild breaking up and promising to reunite in the future when the Doma kids all went back to Doma.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Maybe the next new job that is able to equip scouting gear will solidify scouting jobs as the weird hybrid melee/ranged job that ninja is. I’d say duelist, but red mage kinda already takes that aesthetic

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Except there is no other explanation for Thordan, that was canonically solo. Also Wonder Woman is generally equal to Superman when the Justice League is written properly (because she's a literal demigoddess and she can use magical weapons which beat Superman because he's got no protection from magic).

The WoL is soloing poo poo, just not all the time, and at least one example of the translation adding it is Susanoo. Which is part of why I don't like the joking find 7 friends thing, because Susanoo actually does have to be solo narratively.

The lorebook says we just happened to have 7 friends for susanoo handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Honestly just seems probable that we made 3 echo buddies when we first fought Ifrit, and then maybe they joined the GC that we didn't join while turning down the Scions, and we just call on them and their network whenever.