Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I legitimately laughed out loud at the end when Alisaie straight up complained about not getting any character development.

Also I'm gonna bet that's hinting at the twins getting new adult character models in the next expansion.

That was pretty great.

Right after the trial, when Elidibus of Light took one step and then there was that pillar of light, all I could think was 'You've activated my trap card!'

Regarding Zenos, I think we all knew his little buddy was going to be that fucker, and man did he have some great faces. Looking greatly forward to smashing his face in personally, since we didn't get to do it the first time. I just hope Zenos actually gets excited again, before we smash his face in too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Jim Long-un posted:

I just wanna point out that the x.3 patches are where poo poo has traditionally gotten good. 3.3 was Nidhogg and the end of the Dragonsong War, 4.3 was Tsukuyomi and a close to the Doma storyline, and now 5.3 ends the major arc of the Ascian plotline that stretches back to ARR. now we start the lead-up to the next expansion, and I'm happy to say I have no idea where this poo poo was going, and although I wish it had a different vehicle than Zenos yeet Galvus AKA Mr. 2kool 4skool himself, this game has never truly disappointed me in the seven years I've been playing it so it'd be weirder if it started now.

also, there's something delicious about Asahi, Doma's Wettest Blanket, being resurrected as an even more insipid pricklord. the part where he summons a literal giant pile of money apropos of nothing and starts capering around squealing MONEY BAHAHAHAHA MONEY....MONEY!!!!!!! had me laughing my rear end off, as did the end of the scene with Zenos dramatically slicing one of the abandoned coins in half to punctuate his edgelord monologue

I'll admit, the idea of this semi-immortal ancient being finding the concept and use of money to be the most loving hilarious thing is very amusing.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Jetrauben posted:

Sounds like he basically did flash-imprints of bits of people's souls, yeah. Presumably fixable or recoverable, but it's why none of them seem to have concrete identities beyond vague signifiers of their heroic deeds and pasts. I'm actually fairly confident we'll see the Necromancer again given how big a deal they made of her; the Thief is transparently just Locke from FF6.

It's a pretty cute reminder that the other Shards have their own heroic sagas though.

My running theory is that the Fourteen are tied to the same powers that the Twelve embody, since the Twelve do appear to wield concrete power in the world. After all there's seemingly a whole other galaxy or even universe beyond Hydaelyn, and the Fourteen are all tied to constellations or celestial bodies. And aether is universal, as indicated by Omega and Midgardsormr (and Ultima) all wielding it.

Hell, for all we know the whole point of Sigmascape - which they make a big deal out of it being actually a different world and not just some mythic ancient era of Hydaelyn's past being referenced like the Deltascape or Omegascape - is that the world of FF6 actually exists in the cosmos of Hydaelyn and not just "beyond the Rift."

Although, is the Rift space?

The Rift where the Ascians hang out is, I think a more metaphysical place between the shards. Space is space, and both Omega and Midgardsormr crossed it to the Source sometime after the Sundering.

What's not known is are the other shards somehow isolated into little pocket dimensions that take up the same space in the universe as the source? Like if you had a spaceship and were observing the star system from outside of it, would the other shards be detectable?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Its Rinaldo posted:

What I want is for Feo Ul to get really loving bored with being King and just constantly loving off to the Source to follow the WoL around making commentary filling in for Midgardsormr but jealous and Scottish

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Mad Wack posted:

we do fight varis earlier on... at the negotiating table. its a nice homage to ff6 where you go and negotiate with the empire for no reason before kefka kills the emperor and plunges things into chaos

that also makes zenos kefka in this scenario...

someone should probably keep him away from the warring triad

The last thing we need is Zenos hijacking Sephirot, because with the extra arms he could use all his katanas at once.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Ysale never sacrificed herself to become Shiva. Shiva was a temporary transformation for Ysale, not a permament fixture. Similarly with Pheonix and Louisoix.

Elidibus is still unique, because he's out there being Elidibus, and Zodiark is still out there being chunks of Zodiark.

Isn't it also a thing that Eorzean Primals are a purposefully 'corrupted' version of creation magic, since they're designed to increase the aether imbalance and make it easier to free Zodiark?

It makes sense that a 'Primal' created by the untainted ritual, with the full power and wisdom of the Ancients of Amaurot would work differently.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Why did mortals make a male Ifrita?

Because Lahabrea taught them how to summon wrong, as a joke.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Xun posted:

Does anyone else hear Dr.Orpheus screaming "ITS POWERED BY A FORSAKEN CHILD?!?!" every time Zodiark comes up now?

I do now.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I thought Gaius learning the origin story of Garlemald as an Ascian ploy from the ground up was why he went all Shadowhunter

I don't think he knows this, he's just doing it because he got done dirty by Lahabrea.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

do we know exactly what laws of reality were changed/rewritten by Zodiark? i wonder how that whole ordeal changed life on other planets.

I'd think it was just local to the world we're on, where it did something about whatever the hell was making the Ancients go crazy and summon monsters uncontrollably. I mean, whatever the hell that is would be an expansion hook all on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Sinteres posted:

I think that's been the implication so far, that their creation magic got out of control somehow and a collective panic just made everything worse. Of course they created Zodiark too, so even if there's no underlying thing there that had an objective existence to begin with, that doesn't mean it isn't real now, and potentially a threat again once mom and dad crystal stop fighting. I'm kind of hoping for a twist that demonstrates there's more to reality than just the Ascians though, since it's sad to think we might have run out of big cosmological reveals otherwise.

We already know that there's other life in the universe, Dragons and Omega both come from other planets.