Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mentioned it in the other thread but the Convocation crystals looked suspiciously like soul crystals, wonder if that'll be anything.

Also, lmao, after 5.0 I posted that I couldn't believe they made me care about the Ascian plot, but that I was worried about it going forward because Elidibus is boring. Egg on my face, that's for sure. Wasn't quite sure if I got the details right on his story, though: basically, he was supposed to be part of Zodiark, but he had to withdraw at the last second because there was internal disagreement, so he got left behind by all his Convocation buddies, leading to his obsession with the Rejoining? Is that the gist of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

See, I guess I missed the bit where it was implied (or stated outright) that Elidibus is a primal. Where was that?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Maybe they'll just lock the last tier of Eden until you clear 5.3

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We get it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oxyclean posted:

I am musically dumb but I enjoy this guy's analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM0F7YAtW4s

He's fun, I've been following him for a while. I love how he's so into the motifs :3:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Do we know enough about the writing structure of the FFXIV expansion cycle to say Ishikawa would even be on the next one? My assumption is: they laid the scene out for this expac back in HW, so she was a part of that process and maybe was even planning the broad strokes of the story then and during Stormblood. If that was the case (and it very well might not be, I am talking completely out of my rear end), it would make sense for another writer to take the lead on the next expansion because they were doing their own work during Shadowbringers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also I love that scene with Zenos and Fandaniel because Fandaniel is just loving hamming it up for an audience of no one, clearly loving this poo poo just for its own sake, and Zenos is completely loving stonefaced the entire time. Just does not give one single poo poo about any of it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sacro posted:

Fun fact you can use a dps LB, cancel it, wait for hallowed ground to time out, then use it.

And you only lose eight seconds of uptime!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't actually know enough about LBs to know if that's sarcasm lmao

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jeez, I use MCH for my high end content these days, I can probably cover two people for that in the right circumstances

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My completely unscientific maximum potency MCH can possibly fit into eight seconds ignoring raid buffs (the last three or so Heat Blasts of a Hypercharge (240x3 so 720) + Wildfire (six hits with 200 per hit, 1200) used before the invuln would have started, plus five uses of Gauss Barrel/Ricochet (750), plus Reassembled Drill (critical direct hit 700, which we'll just round up to 1000?), plus Air Anchor (700), plus Queen's punches and Pile Bunker (let's say just used at 50 battery so around 800 potency if we assume three punches get blocked), based on some sketchy math I did in my head, resulted in a little under 5000 potency. So yeah.

Making it 10 seconds probably adds at least another punch, another Heat Blast, and another Gauss Barrel or Ricochet, which would be about 540 potency.

Man, MCH's burst windows are loving nuts lmao

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 17, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh, was Azem explicitly female even if your WoL is male? I play a catgirl so I figured they changed the gender based on your own.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't really care what it says in JP tbh

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sure, but my point is that we shouldn't be acting like the conversation is just over because the JP version said X, if that wasn't clear.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, I feel like "the original writer specifically used a word for young adults and not children" does in fact wrap it up.

Yes, he was quite young; no, he was not a kid.

Not only do we not know that the story was Japanese, as mentioned above, "seinen" does not actually have the exact same connotations as "young adult" does in English. It could very easily mean "teenager."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rand Brittain posted:

At this point they've had multiple opportunities to make it clear that Elidibus was an Actual Kid and passed them by, so...

But they're not doing that? They've shown us about as explicitly as they would ever need to?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yotsuyu is the product of several oppressive systems working in sequence and writing her off as Pure Evil Just Because ignores the roles those systems had and casts her as uniquely evil instead of actually addressing the Doman and colonial structures that turned her into that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Eox posted:

It makes sense. Solus was unsundered, diamond is unbreakable.

gently caress

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zomborgon posted:

I'm just gonna say that the datamined scythe looks like some chunk of low-poly background fluff that some poor NPC farmer is trying to defend themselves with in the distance.

Yeah I strongly doubt that's actually Zenos' weapon, it looks like poo poo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Exarch's plan to save us was to kill himself, which the WoL would never have allowed to happen, so it was absolutely not about saving us.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, if he became the embodiment of a Garlean primal somehow that'd be pretty cool and relevant I think

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's honestly kind of weird we're going to so many of the places we haven't been yet. Garlemald, Thavnair, Sharlayan, the loving moon... What's left for after this? I'm excited.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My worry about anything involving Unukalhai and Cylva is that I don't think they'll want to lock an entire expac behind having done the Warring Triad and all of the ShB role quests.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GoingPostal posted:

No. The husband is behind me in MSQ and I looked over. He can't see the towers yet.

Yeah, it reminds me of back in 3.5 after Baelsar's Wall when you can see Shinryu hanging above the Wall for the few quests until you wake up Omega.

They've done stuff like that before.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Moofia Boss Val posted:

As far as G'raha Tia and the Ironworks knew, they would all cease to exist if they succeeded. The creation of an alternate timeline, rather than simply changing the past, was unexpected.

G'raha Tia jumped into the past intending to kill the present he came from in order to bring back the past that he loved. Just as how Emet-Selch intends to kill the present day populace in order to bring back the past people he loved.

This is the most tortured interpretation of time travel I've ever seen

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dear Mr. Yoship, there are too many twins nowadays. Please eliminate one. I am not a crackpot.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hogama posted:

The stinger of 6.55 is your new character unearthing a tomestone.

My immediate thought here is the final shot of Jumanji.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

I am liking ninja a lot more than I remember though that may be related to the fact that they are more like a casting class that does some melee than a pure melee class now.

IIRC it was 5.1 that made a lot of smart changes to how Mudras worked and it made the job amazing to play

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffleman_ posted:

I also think a lot of it is Forchenault lost his father at Carteanux and he doesn't want the same thing to happen to his children now so if they would just stop acting like Louisoix and just start thinking rationally and come home, please, we have a plan where no one has to die for nothing.

I don't feel like disowning them really fits into this though. If it's going to turn out that he's secretly not an rear end in a top hat, my guess is that Sharlayan is up to something and he doesn't want them to come home.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

A quick google is giving the most likely answers as "Vach" (like "Bach") or "Ma-ha". I'm seeing people say that the latter is used in certain streams and is the way the katakana would be pronounced, but I can't confirm it myself.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think the Midgardsormr thing is a bad example considering that cutscene is famously extremely confusing

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I refuse to look at the leaks (but don't particularly care if I get spoiled anyway), so I have no idea what the gently caress this means and it's hilarious

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

WrightOfWay posted:

Bard's Radiant Finale seems kinda dumb. Every time you use a song you get a Coda, and with 3 Codas you get the maximum buff for Radiant Finale. Except it has a 90 second cooldown while your songs have 120, so you won't ever actually get 3 Codas with it unless you hold it. On top of that, there is going to be some very cursed fight and kill time specific optimization on when you are supposed to use the first Radiant Finale.

If you use Radiant Finale right when you start your third song in the chain, wouldn't that be 90 seconds?

e: though when you use RF I guess you lose the Coda for the song you were already in, so... huh. Considering that it's 2%/4%/5%, I'm guessing using RF at 2 Codas is probably optimal anyway.

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 13, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Onean posted:

It would, but it does go onto cooldown during the 30 seconds that last song plays, which puts it out of sync for your next cycle of songs. That said, there's only a 1% difference between 2 and 3 codas, so (doing zero math so I'm probably wrong) I think using it on CD is going to be better than waiting for 3 codas every time.

Yeah, I edited my post with the same thing, I'm guessing 2 codas is optimal and 3 is more for "the boss just came back from a phase transition" or something like that. Also worth noting that songs are 45 seconds now instead of 30.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Blockhouse posted:

Games are also a good way to try and get people to ignore the grim specter of death hanging over their head

hahahaha can't relate to that

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Christ, I thought he finished HW like last week

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mordiceius posted:

So technically, you could awaken every shard of an ascian and have a council of the same dude like how Organization XIII had a council of Xehenorts, right?

I like where you're going with this

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't find the prospect of Zodiark being some ultimate big bad force for us to defeat with zero nuance all that interesting, and given that Fandaniel doesn't give a solitary gently caress about Big Z I don't know why people are so fixated on that idea. Maybe it's that Amano artwork, idk.

I don't think Zodiark will likely survive, either way.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Regy Rusty posted:

Probably a Garlean tower, though I'm not sure since there's no Garlean around.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

it's moofia