Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
ALPHINAUD: "I hereby swear to get an updated model in 6.0, and I can never take this back."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Vanderdeath posted:

I hope the twins show up in 6.0 fully Giraffe'd up without further explanation.

There is absolutely no way they would ever get their growth spurt without telling everybody in Eorzea.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

G’raha Tia now officially has a thirst for the WoL that is even more powerful than Harchefaunt or Aymeric.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

At this point I think it might be a good time to bite down on that and just put romance paths in the next expansion, since the main story is coming to an end.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Jim Long-un posted:

my WoL is a gigantic shredded femroe. the size and physical strength differential between them is probably lethal. I think about this often,

It definitely makes a difference in the big cutscenes whether the WoL is 100%, 200%, or 50% of G’raha Tia’s size.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

You could resonably say that the Ascians are now just a brotherhood of evil sorcerers who happen to have the Echo, which I guess makes them the Dark Scions.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like Unukalhai got the Wrathion treatment, in that he was locked in a room until all the events he could have been relevant to had passed, and now G’raha has eaten his potential role in the Scions.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the giant burst of stardust that the tower blew out of its top was the particles of aether that used to be Elidibus.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It does kind of feel like the Big Twist has sort of removed all the tension and mystery.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think it's less that we killed a baby and more "Elidibus has a fundamentally childish view of what a hero is."

Note that his major buildup this patch was basically him speaking at length along the lines of "how dare you not allow my colleagues to murder you. you maniac. you absolute monster."

Dude is everything we beat G'raha Tia upside the head until he stopped being.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, Elidibus isn't a leader any more than Levi is the leader of the Sahagin. They summoned him for a purpose, he has enough of a will that he got a big head about it, but the other Ascians we see don't ever seem to ever put him in high regard. There is like a total of one or two cutscenes where anyone listens to what he has to say, and those were years ago

In fairness none of them listen to what any of them have to say.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, it was apparently so severe that Zodiark actually had a psychic fracture and had to eject his heart in primal form so that it could fulfill its sworn duty.

What does that mean for Zodiark, anyway, now that it's a heartless angel?

It would actually be funny if this means that:

a) Zodiark is now mindless and completely harmless and can never escape or be freed,
b) unless some idiot, some complete nutter, decides to uncork him and ride him around like a big purple Gundam. But who would be mad enough to ever do that?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

If nothing else, it seems reasonably likely that Hydaelyn has a living ancient at her heart just like Zodiark.

Didn't they say explicitly that Venat is that guy?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I kind of got the impression that they were in fact kind of stupid because their immortality and ridiculous magical prowess meant they didn't need to have much common sense or planning ability, so the first time something came along they couldn't ignore the whole thing exploded.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Eimi posted:

Easy term of phrase, rather the XI plot was that Altana was jealous that Promathia was the god of creation, and so she imprisoned him and stole his powers. She used this to create the five main races as her children to worship her. Promathia tricks the Zilart into freeing him and creates the beast races in revenge against Altana, vowing to destroy her creation. So you're stuck in the war between them. Promathia is totally justified but if he wins, well you all die horribly. Altana is as it turns out a horrible rear end in a top hat and worshipping her isn't good either.

Is this accurate? It doesn't seem to have made into any of the easily-available references.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Varis is not exactly bursting with depth and pathos in comparison to his kid.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"but for Zenos yae Galvus.... it is Gilgameshing time!"

...or is he Zenos zos Galvus now? Honestly he probably doesn't care.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Looking back over the final scene with Elidibus, I don't think we're meant to assume he was an actual child because he still has an adult voice and manner of speech, because that would have been a very easy change to make to get that across. He's just small because there's not much of him left.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I suspect the Amaurotians are just intensely paternalistic to everybody, including each other.

(it's part of why they blew up)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Since he has no face, changing his voice would have been the obvious way to convey "a kid all along," and since they didn't do that I assume that was not the intention.

Having Elidibus be a child sacrifice also completely changes the subtext of "My brothers... my friends" and I don't think that's desirable.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Allarion posted:

Even better was him supporting the troupe whose whole goal was to dig up and tell the real story about what happened to Ivalice

Digging up the truth about the ancestors is his whole thing, he probably would have married Jenomis if he weren’t an aged mummy.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's also possible Elidibus just doesn't have the power to temper people, since he clearly doesn't run on "normal" primal rules (if there are any) since he isn't sucking up aether and is empowered by people's affection for an abstract concept.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

In fairness, most other primals that we've seen don't require an existing person to serve as their "heart," so that's also unique. The closest thing we have to that is Odin, where the sword needs someone to pick it up and become its slave to actually do anything.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm not sure if the ritual is corrupted or if most people just don't have enough spare mana to get a god going without including the Mana Suck Module.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Of course, given what we now know, their calculations were probably correct; they just didn't take into account a heaping helping of earth-aspected aether being delivered at the same time, courtesy of the Ascians.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, Shivalry does sound like something the Amaurotians would have invented.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, I feel like "the original writer specifically used a word for young adults and not children" does in fact wrap it up.

Yes, he was quite young; no, he was not a kid.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

At this point they've had multiple opportunities to make it clear that Elidibus was an Actual Kid and passed them by, so...

Wait, the Alphinaud reference made me think of the twins and their eternal puberty, and I realized that FFXIV has teenager-adult colorblindness.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Onmi posted:

I mentioned in the main thing that the thing that struck me with Varis wasn't his facisim and "THE RACE WAR STARTS NOW!" but how ultimately when you break down his character, he's someone who discovered the truth of his nation, his people, his family line, and just completely collapsed until the fear of it all. He was confronted with his entire life being a lie, and all those deaths being for nothing, and rather than gritting his teeth and deciding to fight back against it, he bowed his head and started mumbling something about how if they give the Ascians what they want, then, eventually, when they're complete, they can get their revenge.

I feel like it's less "fear" and more "the self-righteous fragility of the white man asked to give up his privileges."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The thing is, Shadowbringers is very much about how sacrifice is not all that it's cracked up to be, and is frequently a way of putting your burdens on other people, so interpret the Amaurotians' willingness to blow themselves up to make a god to fix everything in terms of that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Elidibus absolutely shipped his friends.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

In fairness, the world's hub cities have gotten way more interesting since the Sundering.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Chillgamesh posted:

He has a few lines about how HIS EMPIRE is on the wrong track and he JUST NEEDS TO SET THINGS STRAIGHT in a few scenes prior to the one where he's heartbroken over Varis. I'm not saying it's impossible for him to truly turn his back on the Empire and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the direction the writers take him but given what we've seen of him so far, I think he'd jump at the chance to take control of the Empire and reorganize it into a country that would eventually become a global threat again.

Even considering what's happening to his kids, it's possible for him to spin their deaths as the fault of ~misguided degenerates~ who wouldn't have had the chance to do what they did if he were in charge. What needs to happen is one of his kids needs to tell him "We've always loving hated you for killing our parents and we volunteered for the Weapon project just to have a chance to take revenge against you" to his face.

That is... pretty clearly not where that is going? The angle is clearly "Gaius' children all believed in his ideals and it got every single one wiped out as the expendable pawns of an rear end in a top hat."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kerrzhe posted:

is it just me because i might have missed something, or do we even truly know what Gaius's hopes for the empire actually are? does he still think they should rule the world? or does he just want it to be a functioning society again, without ascian influence?

even after watching the Werlyt stuff again he doesn't give me the impression of still being a fascist. just a sad dad. plus if he does try and go back to the empire his elezen buddy will just shank him immediately

No, Gaius has not really elaborated on his current political beliefs.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yeah I'd guess whatever system they're using to try and make their artificial jobstones to power the Weapons probably picked up on the nutso poo poo that happened to Nael due to being Tempered and nobody knew it.

Although it's hard to say because I don't really recall anybody on the Garlean end commenting on how activating the Oversoul system caused the Ruby Weapon to summon loving Dalamud. Multiple times!

At least, it looked like it did? It's not really all that clear what "really" happens when a primal takes you into their magical battlefield.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

thancred+ran'jit+innocence, I think.

"I think I know how to juggle!"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

America and Japan are both bad but it's important to demand as hard as possible for them to do better, because now that we're getting good representation, it's becoming more and more clear to me how much growing up without that representation hosed me up, and it's complete bullshit that "we have to bow to China's standards or we wouldn't make as much money" is considered an acceptable excuse.

Every step forward counts and we're 100% correct to demand it as our right.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I appreciate how Limsa is so committed to its brand that Merlwyb saying "actually gently caress piracy; it's really stupid to base our entire self-concept as a nation on being a bunch of thieves" comes over as audacious and surprising.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Eox posted:

Really digging that the central thesis of the Weapon project is trying to kill us by filling technology we've already wrecked with people we've already killed. The finest minds in the empire.

Look, the Black Wolf cannot fail; he can only be failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

So basically, that baby we watched be born across all the Heavensward patches is Lahabrea reborn.