Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Why can't Elidibus remember? Emet-Selch didn't have much difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Jetrauben posted:

Reincarnation makes gender basically fluid. Even if your WoL is a woman, Ardbert is Azem too just as much as you are, and he's definitely a man.

What I mean is more that like, the WoL isn't just gonna tank lesser foes' attacks; some jackass with a sword is totally capable of killing the WoL if they get sloppy.

I mean we did kinda do that in the cutscene before the WoL trial

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
^ yeah that

the second tier of ascians are harder to kill than that -- we still had to trap Nabriales and Igeyorhm in auracite and blast them with a ton of aether to kill them

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

thetoughestbean posted:

because it just isn’t explaining itself at all and it’s kind of frustrating

Congratulations, you have now played a Nier game

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
those don't look similar at all

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
The "Elidibus is a child" theory doesn't really convince me for one reason: why would a sitting member of the council of leadership for their society be a child? I think people are just reading too much into that he appeared small at the end. He never acts childish -- his black and white worldview is a result of him being a primal, not a kid

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Mulva posted:

He constantly acts childishly, his PoV is always smaller and lower than the Ascians in his flashbacks, he very clearly is played more vulnerable in the very end, and every single Ascian is a FFXII reference. In this case Zodiark is kept as a child to limit his power, and in this his heart is Elidibus, a child. And there's the whole "Went out of his way to save a child in over his head from the 13th". There's a lot of references that imply that yeah, he was probably a child. The degree to which that matters ten thousand years later and after being a Primal is up for grabs, but odds are we murdered a 10 year old.

Ok but none of this explains why a child would be in a position of leadership

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

You don’t get it. The child no longer exists - he was used to create the primal. Elidibus is zodiark’s messenger. The child died 10,000 or whatever years ago.

I know that but he was still at one point a child on the Convocation

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

Zenos seems to have a deeper connection to his Ancient pre-self than most sundered souls do, what with regular dreams of the starshower. I suspect that's why he has a larger percentage of what Ascians can do than the average person with the echo.

Well he is an immediate descendant of an Ascian though who knows how much of a difference that makes

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, if Elidibus was a primal, why didn't he just temper everyone. Could've tempered all the Scions and the Exarch etc

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

BisbyWorl posted:

Third story has gone up. This one focusing on Emet and Elidibus.

drat, I was 100% wrong casting doubt on the "Elidibus was a kid" theory. hosed up

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

thetoughestbean posted:

Emet Selch going “but how could Azem get the concept of Ifrita— ugh, Hythlodaeus” is great

Was Hythlodaeus the Architect? I thought that was ES

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Wait I thought all souls were sundered souls of the Ancients.

No, most are the new (and if you're asking an Ascian, inferior) life forms that were created after Zodiark re-seeded the planet following the end of the cataclysm.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I do wish there had been more interaction between Ascians and dragons, mainly Midgardsormr. I imagine he can empathize with their grief for their lost world given his was blown up by Omega (right?). And since he's also an immortal superbeing.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Vermain posted:

The far more likely scenario is that she simply burns herself out completely helping you fight off Zenodiark. It'd put a nice, neat bow onto the whole storyline.

Yeah this is the most likely scenario. We get saved by her in a big climactic moment like with Ardbert vs Emet at the end of 5.0

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Do we even really know what the Blessing of Light is?

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I believe it is Hythlodaeus that says that the Hydylaen summoners objected to sacrificing the new life to revive the Amaurotians and summoned her to stop it

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
All of the First's Minfilias were born as Minfilias

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

juggalo baby coffin posted:

in the orbonne monastery fight the agrias boss (who looks a lot like the warrior of light from 5.3) says

"seven shadows cast, seven fates foretold. Yet at the end of the broken path waits death, and death alone."

it seems like foreshadowing for the void stuff. seven shadows cast sound like the seven currently extant reflections, and seven fates foretold sounds like the 7 rejoinings. the broken path sounds like the void, because it's the one 'broken' shard.

Agrias the character is from Final Fantasy Tactics and the entire Stormblood alliance raid series is loosely based on that game. The other three bosses from Orbonne are also from FFT, as are Ramza and Alma. That quote specifically isn't from FFT but the characters in that game all say weird esoteric poo poo when they use abilities

erenoyo fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 16, 2021

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
He really is an absolute loving moron. What did he think would happen when he literally handed a loaded gun to the kids who hate him more than anything

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of the trailer though I'm suspicious that there's one more dungeon because there's footage of trusts fighting Ifrit, Odin, and Ravana

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
It's possible. The only solo duty with trusts in the game so far is the Emperor Varis trial in the pre-Bozja quests. Seems unlikely to me they'd put in three new ones in a x.55 but a dungeon would also be weird. Maybe it's just a big misdirection and it's actually a cutscenes lol

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I'm fairly certain Hydaelyn sundering the world was an unintentional side effect of her attack on Zodiark. Like IIRC in Shadowbringers it's stated that she struck with such force against him that it broke the world.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I was not a fan of Ran'jit and still think his sudden arbitrary victory over you in Lakeland felt bad, but with some distance I can respect the fact that they were trying to demonstrate that the WoL is not invincible. And they made up for it by the fact that the next time you fight him 1v1 with no distractions, you actually just kill him dead right there in a solo duty and that's it - he's simply another obstacle on your way to Vauthry and he's defeated and forgotten like the rest of them. No big dramatic trial or anything. Just the WoL demonstrating their strength, as Ran'jit demonstrated his in Lakeland

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
That's not true. Zenos remarks on our strength increasing over the course of Stormblood, and we definitely get stronger when Ardbert merges with us.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

Actually, she's done that with other villains three times, if you count Fray as a villain (which I do, murder is bad), one for every big-deal-well-regarded part of the game she's written. You could count Yotsuyu twice, too, if you really wanted. I think she's written other storylines around the place, but I don't remember the list enough to count them. I know she created Ysayle, but didn't write her in HW, so that doesn't count.

Trend? Recurring concept? Natsuko seems to really like putting big, dramatic sympathy plays for her villains right near their end (sometimes more than once, Yotsuyu got two), whatever you want to call them. I'm just pointing this out in relation to the one guy it's not gonna work for.

In terms of comparisons to other Final Fantasy villains, Emet is very Kuja in terms of making you sympathize with strong emotions about concepts too grand to fully grasp, and that works for them. Yotsuyu is one without a clear comparison but she's clearly keying off a very realistically bad past into her form of grand vengeance, which isn't a world away from a few minor villains, and I'm not fond of the final form it takes but it worked really well during 4.0. And I guess Fray was that one scene in FFIV that people apparently like, I dunno, I wasn't big on IV.

But Fandaniel is Exdeath by way of Kefka. Just an unmitigated awful person, a total shitbag, with nothing getting in the way of just wanting to murder him even harder. You don't need that sort of character to have sympathy plays, and in fact it can hurt them, introduces hesitation when the best part of them is their failure and eventual death being pure catharsis.

Alright, now that Cleretic has firmly stated their take, we can close the thread, as we all know that exactly the opposite of everything they said will happen

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
What was Hades a reference to

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Neo-Exdeath is already the boss in O4S

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Hilda, assholes

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

especially when that voice is completely ignored by both the game

dude we kill him for it, the gently caress man

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Giott is probably the most prominent one

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I remain profoundly disappointed by the fact that we literally have an Ascian ally but it will never play a part in the main story because it's optional content

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Raelle posted:

We always see stories of long-lost, ancient civilizations that "fell to their own hubris," so it always bewilders me when I see people want to reduce Shadowbringers' much more nuanced take to the same old thing. Amaurot was as effective as it was because it, refreshingly and convincingly, went out of its way to mostly paint its residents as innocent victims and well-meaning people. Like, there's an entire quest explaining that their creation magic is something in-born and natural to them to the point that even babies can do it. Blaming them for something like that is and would be really hosed up. Emet's grief isn't outlined as misguided, it's underscored as justified. The Amaurotines deserved to live. We deny them that because the people of the fragments also have a right to live, and their existence and ours is a zero-sum game. That's why it hits so hard. That's why Emet points out that the victor of your fight will be the hero and the loser will be the villain, whatever happens. That's why, by killing him and the last hopes of Amaurot, "you have done a great and terrible thing."

I constantly see aspersions about Amaurot and how awful it must have been from various people about how they totally deserved what they got and brought it on themselves and I always can't help but think that there's no way they're actually reading the text, but projecting what they've been trained to see from just about every other fantasy story of ancient civilizations. It's really striking that the first instinct when we see an entire people massacred is often to look for the reason they deserved it.

can we just quote this at cleretic every time they post

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Y'all should know not to extrapolate huge plot points from the trailer. Remember the SHB trailer and how everyone thought the WoL was traumatized and would undergo some kind of character shift because of how he was wandering around clutching his head and having flashbacks? Or the whole Master Matoya misdirection? Sometimes they just put poo poo in the trailer because it looks cool. Chill

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
It's the same blessing. We didn't make a new one. midgardsormr locked it away and we unlocked it over the course of HW

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Chillgamesh posted:

*pedant nerd voice thats actually my normal voice* its probably ember and not amber given that he says "smouldering softly" in the followup line

e: actually all the lyrics seem to be fire-themed

The twist is that the WoL is the Chosen Undead

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
There's absolutely no chance DRG doesn't get Shadow of the Dragon

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Bruceski posted:

Was that the name of the Omni-Jump?

Yes. They did a similar thing with Yugiri and Bunshin, the NIN 80 capstone. She summoned a bunch of clones to do stuff in one of the Stormblood solo duties, I forget which

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Moofia Boss Val posted:

A king is invested in the fate of his country. It is in his selfinterest to ensure the wellbeing and prosperity of his people and his land. The king cannot easily walk away from his kingdom when things go south; his fate is anchored to it. If his people revolt or his kingdom is invaded, he and his family will most likely die. The king is extremely motivated to act in the best interests of his kingdom.

Elected officials in a democracy, however, are not invested in the fate of their country. They do not own the land or the people, nor are they at personal risk if things go south. The worst thing that can happen to an elected official is that they don't win reelection. As such, elected officials tend to not act in the best interests of their country, but for personal gain. They will take bribes/lobbying money or pay back favors by voting to do things that are counter to the wellbeing of the people and the country.

Furthermore, kings are highly visible public figures. They cannot act as a tyrant, or else they won't be king for very long. Pop culture likes to depict evil kings a lot, but in history most evil kings who fell in line were quickly punished and regined in by the aristocracy, and if not... they were overthrown and killed, and replaced by someone else who doesn't antagonize the populace. Whereas democracy as an institution exists to hide who the real decision makers are (usually wealthy unelected officials who are bribing the elected officials to work for them). People in feudal kingdoms were often more free than people in modern democratic societies, but I digress.
Ala Mhigo had a bad king, and as what usually happens in history, he was overthrown rather quickly. The only notable damage he managed to accomplish was sneak attacking an order of monks and wiping them out, before the rest of the country promptly took up arms and shut down the king. I find it most incredulous, however, that there were apparently no survivors of the royal family whatsoever. Ala Mhigo must've had some pretty awful bookkeeping of the royal family's heritage for no one to be able to figure out who was the next one in the line of succession, be they a cousin five times removed or whatever. Even that couldn't be found, there surely had to be some popular aristocrats who would have been nominated to start the next dynasty. Even if all of the aristocratic families had somehow died out, they could have just grabbed some popular local community leader and made him one too.

Then again, the Ala Mhigo storyline in Stormblood is quite poorly written. We're talking about Conrad's resistance group - said to be the largest of the many different resistance groups - apparently didn't even have a successor they planned to restore the throne, let alone an idea for what kind of government they would establish. Conrad also brought up that there were multiple factions in the Resistance with different ideas for what Ala Mhigo's government should be, but we never see them and that conflict is never brought up again (would have been great patch story material, but alas).
Could have been made by a good willed Amaurotine like Azem or Venat, but once the founders died out the society could have easily derailed as the following generations had slightly different ideas from their predecessors, until by today modern Sharalayn ideology is unrecognizable from whatever it was originally like.
Going by how it seems that Sharlayan is somehow involved in the creation and working of the towers, I suspect that the Forum is in collusion with Fandaniel and Zenos.

https://twitter.com/chocoboof/status/1396233293708763136

I think that (5.55) dad saw which way the wind was blowing in the Forum, but disagrees with the rest of the Forum (who voted unanimously to reject Eorzea's call for aid). So to maintain appearances, he voted to agree with the plan. That means he won't have to resign or be imprisoned... or possibly killed. He still has some power. I'm guessing he's going to try to work from behind the scenes to stop whatever is happening. He may have cut ties with his kids in order to keep them from being targetted by the Forum if they ever discover he is actually working against them. We know from the Astrologian storyline that the Forum is quite ruthless when comes to dealing with perceived traitors.
He was there as the Eastern Alliance's representative so the two continental alliances can coordinate with each other.

G'raha Tia was the useless guy in the room. He didn't have a single line at the meeting. Then again, G'raha Tia and Alphinaud are constantly fighting for screentime whenever they are in the same scene together. Whenever Alphinaud is the lead speaker, G'raha Tia has nothing to say, and vice versa.

Not reading this lol