Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

What an absolutely incredible ride. Cried at least three times. Loved all of it

Yeah!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Oh, someone posted a picture of a lalafel holding the staff with Exarch, was curious about that

Just to reiterate:

G'raha accommodates even the smallest of heroes. :unsmith:

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

juggalo baby coffin posted:

if hydalen and zodiark are both primals, and primals drain the aether of whatever region they're in, how have they not sucked all the aether out of the entire universe by now?

also in the 5.3 warrior of light fight, was that the real emet selch back from the dead? I hope so, I really liked that guy.

Being that they were the original primals summoned/created by the Ancients, their ability to sustain themselves might be a little different. The tought methods used by the various groups and tribes have summoned their primals are downright crude compared to the original creation magic. The constant aether siphoning might be a limitation.

And no, that wasn't the real Emet-Selch. It was more like a contingency program set up to activate when needed. He had a good feeling that the day would come when it'd be needed, seems like.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

I died when Cid declared the name of the G-Fighter + mobile armor as the "G-Savior."

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Moofia Boss Val posted:

I have Bard and Black Mage at level 70 yet but I haven't done their questlines past the first quest in which you get the job stone. Waiting until I cap them before I do the rest of the story.

There's a lot of skills/spells unlocked with those quests, so I hope you haven't actually tried to play those in dungeons or stuff.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Cleretic posted:

Benchmark loading screen has art for a new area.

I don't like how spread-out and disparate Endwalker's zones are, but I admit that 'gently caress it, we're doing Il Mheg again' would at least be a curious diversion.

I'm very certain that's preexisting Il Mheg artwork. Why it's in the benchmark, who knows.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

I literally cannot comprehend watching and reading everything Ardbert did and coming to the conclusion of "what a fuckup!" Like, I just can't. He and his group did Everything Right, and their efforts were only a "failure" because of unforeseen consequences that literally no one planned for.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

FAUXTON posted:

what, Tonberry and Kobold?

Specifically, Plainsfolk are the original Lalafell that sailed north to and settled in Vylbrand. Their pupils are quite visible.

When they migrated east to the mainland and settled in Thanalan, they developed a glossy layer that protects from glare and dust storms. It's pretty hard to see their pupils.

Tonberries are cursed Lalafell, and Kobolds are an unrelated species entirely. :v:

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Cleretic posted:

Yes. In fact, this is exactly what the Lunar Primals are.

Lunar Ifrit's card explicitly states it can't temper others, though.

Ziddar fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 4, 2021

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Heck, there's still delivery moogles hanging around on the First. They'll even have different dialogue if you've done the old postmoogle quests, like the ones on the Source do.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Jetrauben posted:

It never seemed that the Amadpori had like, religious reverence for white magic, it was just a purely utilitarian thing.

Heck, white magic was specifically a reaction to Mhach's development of black magic and subsequent war. And really, black/white magic is more a technique than anything else; the difference is in application. Both are freely siphoning aether from the surrounding lands. And conjury is just a nicer, Elemental-approved version :v:.

I always liked the analogy that conjury is asking someone for some cash, and white/black magic is just punching them and stealing their wallet.

Ziddar fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 4, 2021

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Cleretic posted:

Ultimately, Lolorito is a conniving bastard, but he's a conniving bastard that knows he benefits most from the current status quo. An extremely unhelpful person if you want to make great improvements, but a very important ally in stopping a power grab.

Really, Teledji was doomed the second he thought he was too good and smart for the system. He died a parasite who deluded himself into thinking he didn't need a host anymore.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

I found out on a whim (as I'm the player who talks to everyone all the time), that nearly every single job and class NPC that you've worked with has updated dialogue for finishing the MSQ. Crafting and gathering, too. They're been pretty great so far and I still have a lot to talk to. I love it.

Ziddar fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 13, 2021

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Cleretic posted:

Something that struck me while doing that questline, though: how old is Kan-e-Senna meant to appear?

We know that the Padjali remain eternally young, and in every other case that seems to lock them as looking like children (hell, the Conjurers' Guild guy hasn't aged between the Echo flashback to Kan-e's childhood and now). But in Kan-e's case I think she's meant to look like an adult? I admit I don't have a great handle on her comparative height for midlanders, though, since I play an elezen and the other Alliance leaders she appears with are huge by any metric.

Just as an aside because you mentioned him: E-Sumi-Yan (the head of the Conjurers' Guild) is old. Encyclopedia Eorzea hints that he's over 200, and if you speak to him post-EW MSQ if you've leveled WHM, he confirms it. He might be the oldest living Padjal we've met.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

These are the exact lines you get as a Lalafell post-aether boosting.

Which earns this reaction from you.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Chillgamesh posted:

Given what we know about memories and souls from Endwalker, Bad Timeline G'raha is 100% dead. Source G'raha isn't sharing a headspace with anybody, he just has a bunch of experiences from a like-minded person inside him now. That's why he's still so anxious and down on himself, and it isn't until he starts barking orders in Thavnair that the G'raha he can be starts coming out.

Well, memories and soul. He's in the unique position of effectively experienced an extra rejoining (like the WoL), but with literally himself from another timeline instead of another shard. He even comments at the end of 5.3 that it's a very weird feeling. He's both the anxious and adventure-loving G'raha Tia that dove into the CT to help everyone and the century-old Exarch that learned about all the amazing heroic things that the WoL did before things went horribly in the Black Rose timeline. Being a bit of an anxious doofus isn't even just this G'raha; the time you spent with him on the First showed that deep down he was still an anxious doof, except with 100 years of added experience and conviction.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

PoorWeather posted:

You might be right. I think it's hard to say for certain, because "the bad parts of life make the good shine brighter" is a really common truism in fiction and in a lot of religious thinking - I can't remember where, but I'm pretty sure there's even an incidental line which is more or less exactly that in Endwalker. There's definitely one in Shadowbringers with Feo Ul, though in that case it's probably more connected with the "what makes mortals beautiful is that they plant trees they'll never see grown" theme, which is kinda its own kettle of fish.

I'm actually kind of curious about you picking this line. Feo Ul points this out in contrast to the pixies, which do not and cannot act on anything but the immediate now. They basically fly by the seat of their pants through their whole existence, which anyone can tell you has its downsides for mortals. It's not so big a deal for immortal pixies, as they persist until they don't, which doesn't seem to be much of a concern for them anyway. "Planting a tree in which branches you will never sit under" is just a poetic way of stating that it's good and virtuous to work for a better tomorrow, even if you'll never live long enough to see it. It's a statement in opposition to the idea of "well I won't be alive then, so why should I care?" And to a pixie like Feo Ul who only lives in the present, that kind of forward thinking is novel and beautiful.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Begemot posted:

Yeah, I'd love to do more stuff on the moon. There's a lot of super important plot action there, obviously, but I want to know what's up with that crashed Allagan ship and the weird fungus caves and the cactuars... did Hydaelyn seed that life there too? Are some of them space aliens like the dragons that happened to land there? Is there more Allagan junk in space???

Like a surprisingly many things, the story about that Allagan satellite is explained in the sightseeing log.

I recommend doing them, or at least looking them up, as a lot of random info is buried in the logs.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Revenge of the Horde remains one of my absolute favorite tracks in the entire game, though goodness knows it has tough competition. It feels so incredibly final to me, nailing the feel that this is the end of the Dragonsong War, right here. The first 30 seconds or so alone have an immense amount of emotional heaviness to it. I never regret getting Final Steps of Faith in the roulette.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Blockhouse posted:

Is Elpis cheaper if you go there from the First?

I don't think Ultima Thule is cheaper from Labyrinthos

Elpis is in fact cheaper if you teleport from the First. It's the same cost as teleporting to Mor Dhona from the First. Teleport costs are mostly raw distance if they're on the same planet, but dimensional links count as adjecent. I think that absolute most expensive teleport is Kugane to Ultima Thule at 2178g.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Clarste posted:

Moon cats seem to have ordinary names unless there's something weird I never noticed.

Mooncat women have relatively normal names, but the men literally have their mom's name except with a suffix on the given name that denotes birth order.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Jetrauben posted:

Kinda makes you wonder how and if Radz-at-han's diplomacy worked with Ishgard. Can't imagine "dragons are unholy monsters without remorse" could exactly diplomatically coexist with "yeah, we're buddies with the local dragon."

Taking an airship from Radz-at-Han to any of the listed locations (the main cities plus Kugane) is 300g, except Ishgard, which is 500g. Clearly the dragon bias at work! :tinfoil:

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Considering that during his denial of your story, Emet repeats the "thousand thousand lives" bit that his future self did, it's safe to say that there were a number of parts the WoL was very specific in recalling.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Chillgamesh posted:

mixed race lalazen that is full elezen height but has no knees and waddles everywhere

Using my knees to kneel down to my good lizard friend.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

SirSamVimes posted:

Interestingly, the fact that Emet-Selch shattered his auracite means he could have probably retreated back into the rift if he wanted to. I imagine the reason he didn't is that he was so tired of everything that he would rather charge at you and either kill you or die himself than retreat and resume scheming.

Hell, there was nothing keeping him from just leaving at the end of the Amaurot dungeon. He could've left at any point before he transformed, but I imagine he felt he had to push to the end. Prove that his ideals and mission were just. Your seemingly miraculous revival followed by his brief vision of Azem just pushed him to a total do or die moment. How the tale of this conflict would be written would be finally decided right there, period.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Onean posted:

It's not really faces, but there was a ton of fantastic eye work and other semi-subtle animation stuff in EW cutscenes. I'm hoping it continues, it's a nice addition to see.

The eye movement was something I really noticed. Eyes drifting when the character was thinking, and even very subtle quivering during some scenes really made sold so much emotion.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Who wrote the lyrics to Answers, anyway? Was it originally in English or Japanese?

Answers, like pretty much all the songs, has always been in English.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not convinced evolution exists in this universe. I think it's more likely that the lifestream can just spontaneously generate beings, sometimes. Probably only under special circumstances that only existed early in the star's history. It would allow for the first ancients to live in a relatively barren star, and see an obvious need to improve it which they could pass down the generations

Genetic inheritance and environmental pressure clearly do, as the BTN quests in HW and beyond get into. It's just that it gets a little fuzzy when Literal Magic exists alongside it.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

cheetah7071 posted:

sometimes people will put a blurb in their search info, but there's a 60-character limit so you can't say much

For roleplay purposes, usually people use that search info for a very brief descriptor, maybe a 'RP = IC,' and a link to their character carrd. Not much else you can do with it.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Doesn't stop the Vanu Vanu! Maybe they could bond over being flightless bird-like folk.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Mr. Nice! posted:

They might not have awoken a Fandaniel prior to that. We don't know how and when they awoke any of the sundered ascians except for the few instances we've seen happen.

I imagine it had to be at least a few, given how the fight with Amon the Undying opens up:

"Many faces have I worn, but this is my favorite by far..."

Certainly implies there were more than just those two.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Mr. Nice! posted:

They might not have awoken a Fandaniel prior to that. We don't know how and when they awoke any of the sundered ascians except for the few instances we've seen happen.

hopeandjoy posted:

He’s probably talking about the people he’s possessed over the years.

Bringing this back up since I went on a cutscene rewatching spree earlier today. In the scene after defeating Amon the Undying, when he's speaking on how the memories Kairos once blocked kept coming back to him, he specifically laments how death never helped.

Amon posted:

Death failed to expunge them, no matter how many times it came. Rebirth after rebirth, from one Fandaniel to the next.

So it seems like the Ascians did go through a few Fandaniels. Still up in the air if any of the others were as messed up as Amon, though. :v:

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

The entire point of everything with Ardbert and his friends is that they were too good at succeeding at their goals as Warriors of Light. They overcame every challenge and trial, up to and including one of their own being a traitor. And then they lived up to being true heroes by defeating and sparing her.

Ardbert and co. are the exact opposite of fuckups. :psyduck:

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Bruceski posted:

Thinking about it, Nanamo is really the only one we get a peek behind the curtain. Almost all the time we're interacting with her she's in unofficial capacity in some form or another so she gets to be a kid.

I know it's hard to tell, being a Lalafell, but Nanamo is like 21-22. Though I suppose being royalty, and everything that happened with her parents, she didn't really get to have a real childhood.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

ImpAtom posted:

They are literally just a Japanese biker gang.

'Biker delinquents, except with hippo chariots' was not the angle I expected, but am glad they went with.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Cleretic posted:

Doesn't the Warring Triad have Extremes as a prerequisite? God no, let's never make that one mandatory.

You just need to clear out all of Unukalhai's quests to get to the ShB rolequest follows-ups that involve him. This involves completing the normal Warring Triad quests, and then simply unlocking the extreme versions. You do need to complete Bismarck and Ravana extreme, though. Luckily they're trivial unsynced at 90.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Nessus posted:

Is this related to their possible creation of Lalafells?

Lalafell are from the the islands in the south seas and presumably were there for a long time before migrating north to Vylbrand for the first time. There's a few lines about some odd creations having 'lalafell-like skin,' but they're pretty much throwaway flavor. Also, they exist as dwarves on the First, without Allag existing there at all.

Ziddar fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

okay maybe a few times

Mister Olympus posted:

gaia specifically can't have any shards floating around except on the void, since she's an ascian and got glued back together. she is only the same as claudien in that you can go to elpis and see both of their past lives. or hear about them at least

None of the sundered Ascians get "glued back together." The Unsundered find a shard and raise them up with the help of the Convocation memory crystals. Doing so doesn't affect any other shards, other than they're probably going to live their lives ignorant of the whole situation :v:.