Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I hope the twins show up in 6.0 fully Giraffe'd up without further explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm sorry, his name is Fan Daniel, lmao

His full name is "Fan, Daniel, back at it again with the white robes." Please don't make fun of him

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Pharohman777 posted:

Why does Cid say 'that sounds familiar' if you choose the option 'G-warrior, engage!' in the sapphire weapon fight?
Is that line another gundam reference?

In Japanese it's "Tobe! (Take flight/soar) G-Warrior!" which is a reference to the first opening of Gundam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz3kjtQ0PUw

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Cleretic posted:

I still don't buy ANY of that about Amaurot being a utopia, but we're in a weird 'either way it works' situation on Elidibus possibly being a child. Either they are a utopia, in which case it's safe to trust a child there and their judgement is infallible... or they aren't a utopia, and are in fact a civilization so lovely or in such a bad position that they'd put a child in that role, which... also checks out, Lahabrea and Emet had to learn how to be terrible people from somewhere.

More's Utopia is about how such a place is completely impossible and that's exactly what our Amaurot represents. Hythlodaeus' name literally means "Speaks Nonsense," the River Anyder comes from anhydros meaning River of No Water, etc. It wasn't perfect because no perfect society can exist.

Also sacrificing a child in a The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas-esque manner to bring about a dark god sorta hammers that home, too. Azem abandoning their post makes a lot more sense now since seeing twelve other people vote for that would make any person want to get the gently caress outta Dodge.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Everything in 5.3 jibes pretty well with what we saw of Elid. He was naive, tried to strike deals with heroes and people who believed themselves to be heroes (Urianger, us, Thordan, the WoDs), was nearly single-minded in his actions, made attempts at reconciliation and he truly and honestly thought he was the hero. Elidibus also rescued Unukalhai from his fate on the 13th, which we now know is a direct parallel to his own life's circumstances.

He wasn't a particularly deep character but there were seeds of this form of him as early as Heavensward at least.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Cleretic posted:

Emet doesn't need to save me, I spent the entire first phase making a rope to pull my way back there anyway.

Tough titty, bruv. You got sassed back into existence by a certified Bad Bitch™.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Rand Brittain posted:

Looking back over the final scene with Elidibus, I don't think we're meant to assume he was an actual child because he still has an adult voice and manner of speech, because that would have been a very easy change to make to get that across. He's just small because there's not much of him left.

The voice and posturing didn't matter; read the context clues from the stones Hythlodaeus and Emet-Selch left behind. There's instances of the swearing Elid into his position, one chastising him for not going outside and playing after the rains and that in the metatextual FF stuff, Zodiark was purposefully kept as a child because the other gods feared it.

It is likely that they sacrificed a child who only wanted to protect everyone as their hero. That's how desperate they were.

Edit: not to mention that white robes and clothing are oftentimes associated with sacrifice

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t particularly believe in the Kidlidibus theory but I don’t exactly get why they had him be child sized after the fight

That was his actual size. Hell, during the fuzzy flashbacks shown of the Convocation (allegedly) from Elidibus' POV, they're way taller than him.

He also sounds way way younger in Japanese compared to the English VA.