Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
SuppressdPuberty93
Nov 11, 2013

The website I really like, well actually, I guess the subforum of the website that I really like. It shut down the other day. I was just wondering if anyone had any good coping mechanisms for dealing with a website being gone. It feels like a limb is missing, you know? Like what soldier scall "Phantom limb syndrome." I keep going and clicking on the website, but it just doesn't load.

Anyway, some words of support or coping mechanisms would be very helpful right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuppressdPuberty93
Nov 11, 2013

I saw a website that looked like it a little while ago, and got sad again. Does it get any easier?

cda
Jan 2, 2010

That happened to me, and here's what I did: I went and posted on another website where most of my favorite posters from the shut down subforum posted. It wasn't quite the same but it was still pretty good and I got to know them a lot better which was a great silver lining. Then a while later, the shut down subforum got opened up again and I could post there again and it felt good, and absence made the heart grow fonder etc. So have strength because it could happen that way for you too.

MY INEVITABLE DEBT
Apr 21, 2011

just one more spin

in before the ban

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

The cumtown subreddit? I feel u

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I too know the pain of posting on a dead website.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Come hang out with us in BYOB.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

I'm sorry OP. Sometimes there's just no solution to heartbreak and all you can do is cry it out until your tears run dry. I wish I could tell you that you'll recover from this and go on to live a full and happy life but the truth is that I just don't know.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

I clicked on this thread ready to offer sincere advice which just goes to show - always check the post count

Bundy
Oct 22, 2013

Fifa fail to see that their petty rules don't apply to us because: BRITAIN

Daikloktos posted:

I clicked on this thread ready to offer sincere advice which just goes to show - always check the post count

What is it that I should be assuming from the OP's post count, OP?

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Bundy posted:

What is it that I should be assuming from the OP's post count, OP?
Hey, you know, good point. Something like this is still a bummer even if you're entirely well-adjusted about it.

I've had my favourite website devolve into drama and hostility and lost a place I felt at home and creatively primed. You can still talk to your friends on Skype or maybe a bunch of you post elsewhere too, but it's not the routine you're used to and you feel like kind of an idiot that you can't intellectualize your way out of sincerely emotionally missing a website. I guess if I had to think of some useful advice, it's that if composing forums posts is an important hobby or outlet for you that you should diversify the communities you engage with. All this internet-community stuff is so unstable that if you put all your eggs in one basket you might find yourself kind of adrift until you establish voice and friendships somewhere else.

I apologize OP, I should have been more respectful that vague melancholy can affect even the most self-aware.

yikes!
Jul 5, 2006

Soiled Meat

literally this big posted:

Come hang out with us in BYOB.

hey are you takin on new members in the squirtle squad? that was always my fav pokemon

SuppressdPuberty93
Nov 11, 2013

Well its back so I guess the mods can close this now. Unless other people want to lament with a website shutting down..

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

The thread can remain open, or you may close it at will OP. The power is within you.

SuppressdPuberty93
Nov 11, 2013

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

The thread can remain open, or you may close it at will OP. The power is within you.

I can't close it in this forum IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

spb posted:

I can't close it in this forum IIRC.

The powers that be conspired to remove the rule that people needed to reach out to a moderator before closing their threads in E/N. You may lock the thread or you may not. I can lock the thread if you would like.