Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Pandaal
Mar 6, 2020

I keep checking to see if there's a thread for this, decided to "be the change" and such...

"Rogue Company is the third-person tactical action shooter that puts the fate of the world in your hands. Suit up as one of the elite agents of Rogue Company, each with their own individual set of skills, and go to war in a variety of different game modes."

As described, this is a 4v4 third-person tactical shooter that combines the "bomb" gametype of CS, the 3P roll-and-crouch movement of Gears of War, and the "Operator" hero archetypes of R6: Siege. The "Rogues" are, at the moment, more akin to the "Ops" of Siege than the "Heroes" of Overwatch or the "Agents" of Valorant. That there's a shared weapon pool from which each Rogue has two weapons available for purchase and upgrade using currency earned through performance in matches, and each Rogue has two abilities: one passive, one active.

The game is made by Hi-Rez and is currently in beta. It's available for free through Twitch drops, or by buying a "Founder's Pack" starting at $15 which includes beta access alongside some unlocked Rogues and some other bonuses depending on what "tier" you buy.

Finally, the game is cross-platform and cross-save through the Epic platform on PC, Xbox, PS4, and Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_GTgZH9QIY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Grahams Ghost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust

Pillbug

I played this a bit and I'll definitely play more. It feels a lot more casual/arcade-ish than Valorant/CS/etc - while you buy between rounds, there's no real econ strategy because you don't lose anything at the end of the round (I guess some light strategy as you decide which of two primary weapons to get, what order you buy perks and upgrade, etc).

The 3rd person approach definitely takes a bit of getting used to, having to frequently swap shoulder to ensure you've got the right sight lines as you move through the map. For those not wanting to jump right in to vs other players, in addition to a decent tutorial thing there's a vs bots mode which is a nice way to get comfortable with things.

Pandaal
Mar 6, 2020

Yeah the buy mechanic is more similar to the MOBA strategy than CS. It allows you to get ahead gear-wise if you frag out but doesnít punish you out of contention if you have a bad round. I think it keeps the games closer. Coupled with the upgrade mechanic it also makes you start planning your later rounds kit as the 8k to start a new weapon is a big setback.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If you buy Rogue Company on one platform, do you get access to it on all of the other platforms its available for too? I know that is not common even with games like this, but Hi-Res does this with some of their other titles.

Pandaal
Mar 6, 2020

I said come in! posted:

If you buy Rogue Company on one platform, do you get access to it on all of the other platforms its available for too? I know that is not common even with games like this, but Hi-Res does this with some of their other titles.

No, I donít think this is the case.

Bruc
May 30, 2006

This game is what I wanted valorant to be. Surprisngly polished feeling for a Hirez game, the gunplay feels awesome.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

For a second I thought this thread was about Rogue Warrior and I was confused as to why someone in 2020 would make a thread about that awful game.

Bruc
May 30, 2006

Hopefully they will add a Mickey Rourke voice pack at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandaal
Mar 6, 2020

They've patched up a lot of little bugs and whatnot since the beta launch, I think it's in a pretty stable place now. Scratches the "tactical shooter" itch without being sweaty to the point of not being fun.