Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
hmmmm
1st Gen
2nd Gen
3rd Gen
Goku
View Results

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I assume it's pronounced Stacy but I'm gonna go ahead and call them Steak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I really like Mago but I haven't really liked any other Gfriend songs I've heard. Do they have anything else similar or is this a new direction for them?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
The thing is the Kpop industry is still tied to physical sales and the whole lootbox model they have going, whereas Western pop isn't any more. So while Western artists seem to drop non-album singles more often recently, for the most part Kpop artists will still scrape together some B-sides for a physical release.

The flip side of that is that Kpop "full albums" are usually just singles with more B-sides because they don't generally promote more than one single from an album

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

I really don't understand the audience for all these hyper aggressive boy groups because I don't imagine a ton of young girls are really into Spartans or Arthurian legends and the music is always so bland compared to other groups, but I do enjoy just how loving extra they are, especially with live stages like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1QMXlDbUJ0

lmao they have a Sephiroth guy

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

esperterra posted:

While we're on the subject of bad choices in English versions of songs, forever lolling at 'who dat who dat who dat is' in the intro to Bad Boy, especially when the rest of that version is p drat good.

risky risky, why you test me? this is an emergency

Scylo posted:

This is the only video they put up for it but the Not Shy, Wannabe, Dalla Dalla and Icy english version mini album is out and I think Not Shy is the worst English version I've ever heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvTdg7sgsgU

I think the video actually makes it seem jankier than it is, big autogenerated Youtube content vibes

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
G Idle's first couple of videos had the member names in the subtitles, more groups should do that. But then not all groups even do English subtitles

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Decalcomanie is the best Mamamoo song but the proper MV stops for like 2 minutes right before the best part of the song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0I8YjeWfQU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Scylo posted:

The new Kang Daniel ain't bad, sounds like he's been through some poo poo and this might be about that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLrWIgkvoB0

hard to imagine anything worse than getting dumped by Jihyo

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Scooter is going to compete with Taylor's reissues with a BTS version of 1989

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

TV Zombie posted:

More hints at what watercolor sounds like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX8BUwxOr14

I am asking you again to consider buying her album.

Thank god it's not a ballad

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I didn't notice until seeing the lyrics in that video that the chorus has "decalcomanie" in it. Shoutout to the best Mamamoo song or is that word just weirdly common in Korea?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I just think it sounds like they're doing weird impressions rather than their own voices

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

esperterra posted:

Joy solo debut at the end of the month.

Seulgi next pls, since I&S is most definitely staying shelved for a while.

e: also full RV comeback sounds like it's coming when Yeri finishes her drama

Please not a ballad

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

this is such a bummer, Mago was so good and I was hoping it was the start of a new direction

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh Snap, Jihyo’s performance project is a full solo with vocals and dance, even if it’s a short cover. She’s such a great performer and can do it all. What stood out the most was how good she sounds in English and how well the contemporary dance suited her as well.

https://youtu.be/nAW4uqc-7T4

I love Jihyo but this song is so boring (from the Bright soundtrack? lol)

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Vastakaiun posted:

Reading more about the aespa song being originally in the Hobbes & Shaw soundtrack led me to find out that SM also did this way back with S.E.S and a song that was a big hit in 90s Finland, AKA my childhood. First time I heard this was so weird, it's the same exact song.

S.E.S "Dreams Come True"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_yyXw83rt8

The original by Nylon Beat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTBp7KE4gVQ

Don't forget Dancing Queen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXZxc8GSXnI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7ZEVA5dy-Y

Someone commented this under Dancing Queen which is pretty :ironicat:

quote:

I miss the era when kpop songs actually retains the "Korean pop" aura on their song/aesthetic. Unlike now where everyone was too busy to implement cute/girl crush/whatever concept they forget to make their songs unique and are more and more similar to other western pop music.

Barry Shitpeas fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 20, 2021

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

TV Zombie posted:

An article is stating that it’s all ballad album (4 songs) for mamamoos comeback

Noooo

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I just find ballads so dated and cheesy, it's not what I want from Kpop at all

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

I mean, the title has to be tongue in cheek given all the marketing for this album and their reputation for loving to drink. My guess is it'll be a play on the drunk on love idea (hence alcohol free), but with plenty of cocktail imagery. That is right up their alley concept wise and similar to previous tracks including Kura Kura.

Maybe it was meant to be "free alcohol"

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Things that bug me about Alcohol Free:
- the title doesn't really fit in the chorus
- the goofy Space Invaders dance at the start of verse 2

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
WJSN - Unnatural is top for me, Hwaa probably second

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
PTT is not what I was expecting at all, even for the album preview it feels like they picked the least representative part. The chorus is just kind of Blackpinkish and it doesn't have anything as catchy as "ooh la la awae awae awae" but the video is cool

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I've been trying to work out what the start of PTT was reminding me of and I finally think I worked it out, it's Fanfare by Twice. At least as far as the minor key intro - major key verse transition.

Anyway, Perfect World is good, I agree that the diegetic sounds are a bit much though.

My Youtube recommendations are giving me about 20 different 10-second clips from PTT but I did like the one that replaced the JYP tag in Alcohol Free with TWIIIIIIIIIIICE

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
The thing about Next Level is I can't stop singing "the vengabus is coming, and everybody's jumping" after the oooh ee oooh

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

It's not like actively bad but it's just kind of nothing

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Does BEAM BEAM count as a summery track?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Nominative determinism in action

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZECe-55HY

New Brave Girls. City pop sound fits them so well. I'd kill for more of this from them. Video is super pretty.

This is very good but how am I supposed to know who it's by without 5 tags at the start?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

I think they smashed the kpop guns per minute record with Not Friends. amazing

It's pretty funny that Kim Lip is in both that and the Cocomong one. Versatile

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I can imagine it being confusing for someone new to Twice trying to work out whether there are 8 or 9 members based on the video but at least Jeongyeon is in it in some capacity. Song is great.

The Coldplay song is just embarrassing; super generic song, rock-opera cliche concept, Chris Martin trying to look 20 years younger. I'm sure it'll be great for Coldplay but BTS probably don't need it

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Cavauro posted:

plenty of gun stuff in the feels, also. kpop guns. always gunning it

I mean it is targeted at America

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

ZypherIM posted:

I'm up late so I'll just double post for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC81SgWh86U

e: thoughts

I'm not sure about one thing with the song but more listens will probably smooth it out, but aside from that I really like the song. Has a bunch of like.. 2012-ish kpop sound going on but doesn't sound dated, and the breakdown is really good. The choreo bits we got look like its probably pretty solid there.

The MV... personally didn't like it that much. It feels like they sort of wanted to go with some of the 'stylized+wacky/silly' vibes that you see in a lot of EXID's videos, but like not everyone was on board or understood how to make that work.

I like the song but does anyone else think the verse sounds a lot like Boombayah

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

esperterra posted:

Throwing already existing singles (either digital or ones that had physical releases) onto a mini or full album is a tale as old as time in kpop, not just YG.

It just feels worse when YG does it, 'cause their output is so little compared to other companies.

I mean that is what an album is pretty much everywhere else in the world,

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
JYP's new girl group are called SQU4D. Presumably the members are Alex, Ilhan, Ayanna and Rashida

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

teagone posted:

https://twitter.com/JYPETWICE/status/1460080118022356994

Oh boy. If they come through Chicago during one leg, and the show requires proof of vaccination for entry...I might be there, lmao.

ok so the group is called Twice, there are 9 members, it's their 4th tour, there are 6 stops, it's in 2022

why is it called III???

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

teagone posted:

Jihyo is my favorite for a reason :unsmith:

you can't just say that, you have to say she is your "ult bias"

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
the video is cute but the song is not to my taste at all

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Just when I thought I had figured out group name pronunciations turns out IVE is pronounced I've, not ivy

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

TV Zombie posted:

Is too early to do a top 10 of 2021?

I started doing a top 20, got to 18, then started relistening to songs to fill out the last two spots and went over 20. Top 10 though:
Brave Girls - After we ride
WJSN - Unnatural
Everglow - Promise
(G)I-DLE - Hwaa
Twice - Perfect World
Brave Girls - Chi Mat Ba Ram
Loona - Hula Hoop
Soyeon - Beam Beam
Lightsum - Vivace
IU - Celebrity

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003