Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

DantetheK9 posted:

So, my husband and I are planning on moving to Florida next year and I'm wanting to take this opportunity to change careers. I've been in security for most of my adult life and I'm loving tired of wearing a polyester shirt and telling Karen to get her kids off of the goddamned sculptures.

I've been applying for desk job type stuff, but between a lack of responses (Partially due to my lack of college and partially due to COVID hiring slowdowns, if I had to guess.) and how deeply goddamned sick of dealing with the general public, I've been giving more and more thought to getting my CDL and driving a truck.

I've looked around at truck driving schools and most of the ones that're turning up in searches feel low varying degrees of scams, so I'm asking you goons for advice. What do I need to know when getting into this?

If it helps, I currently live in Northern Virginia at least through the end of 2020 and we're working on moving to Central Florida sometime in Spring 2021.
I'm just going to throw some advice at ya.

If you go to a truck driving school, go to one in VA because FL is notorious for having scam schools. Go to a community college if possible.

Some companies like CRST (where I started) and Swift and England have their own schools. They are ok.

Absolutely do not sign on with a company as an owner operator at the beginning. It's much better to be a company driver at first so you don't have a huge investment in a job you may not like. There's a high burn-out rate in trucking because it involves a lot of time away from home.

Speaking of time away from home, are you planning to drive with your husband? Most trucking jobs as a rookie are the "Stay on the road for a week or two" type of jobs. Local runs can be had once you have experience.

That's all I have for now.

Keep the shiny side up and don't touch nothin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU