Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
Worked in customer service in long-haul freight from like 2007-2014. Unless the lifestyle appeals to you, or you do not see yourself having other options, this is a very brutal lifestyle. Guys getting stuck in Wyoming for a week or more at a time because i80 is shut down by the DOT was something that seemed to happen at least once per year while I was there. Co-drivers stabbing or sexually assaulting each other was something that happened about once per year. Easily the least professional office environment I have ever been in, and it is an industry that chews people up and spits them out at every level. If you hang in there and become proficient with the over the road element and have a company you trust to work for, the money can be good. It also looks like you live in a region without severe winters, so that should help.

My advice - Look deep into what you will be paid, and DO NOT trust anyone in the company to tell you what you will make. If you think you'll make 50 weekly trips per year and take two weeks off - that's almost certainly not what's going to happen. Freight will be low, you will be delayed by weather, the guys at the building will be shut down due to materials delays, etc. Get the info from current and former drivers to see what is really going on. Nearly every company will have sign-on bonuses now, but make sure you know how many strings are attached before you earn it. If you do not already have your CDL, strongly consider paying for it on your own before you join a company - it's generally going to be more affordable, will give you more options for where you can work, and certainly be a better outcome if you do not complete training. You see many horror stories about guys who don't finish their 'free' training, and the company charges them back for the cost of training if they don't complete it.

I'll be the counterpoint to the 'don't go o/o' discussion. Owners who have a clue how to manage money are almost always be making substantially more money, but have to manage risk with the bank and maintenance. It also comes with much more control, because you decide the loads you take, not your dispatcher. It's certainly not the way to go right away, but down the line it may be a fit for your situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I can get behind this, but if you set off with the goal of becoming an o/o you are going to gently caress it up and be disappointed.

I'd agree with that as well. Someone who has no CDL at this time thinking they are going to own a truck and start raking it in within a year is delusional. If you understand high school math and have a clue how to drive, it's something to consider down the line.