Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah there used to be a trucking thread in AI, might find some truckers or former in the general chat thread there. I used to work as a freight broker, so driver adjacent similar to KYOON, freight brokers are middlemen between generally smaller shippers that don't have the volume to handle their own truck booking and generally smaller trucking companies that don't have enough of their own business. Certainly with exceptions, I've booked freight for Amazon shipments and had loads hauled by trucking companies with hundreds or thousands of trucks that they own.

Anyway I'm rambling but there's lots of different paths to take in trucking (they all suck to some degree for sure):
- day cab driving around a city
- long haul OTR for months just bouncing around from "good paying load buddy" "good miles" all over (some companies advertise getting you home every week or other week, I don't know how well they keep that promise)
- dedicated lanes can sort of fall between those extremes so maybe you're running freight for your company from your direct clients on a 2 day outbound trip and then you find 2-3 days worth of backhauls to get you home so the lanes and loads are fairly consistent and hopefully you build up a stable of good freight to haul

Then you have different truck types, dry-vans are the most ubiquitous and also pay the least per mile, temperature controlled or reefer trucks pay more and you're still generally hands off the freight but you have to deal with much tighter delivery and pickup windows where a missed slot can cost you an entire day, you also have to deal with making sure the reefer keeps working properly. Then you have flatbed work that can further specialize with step-decks, double drop, load levellers, all manner of tarps and tie downs, ramps, over dimensional. Your basic flatbed work will tend to pay better than dry van but maybe not as much as reefer. You'll have to tarp your own loads and strap them down and do the reverse at the unload site.

Now I don't know how much of the pay per mile difference filters to the drivers in a big company but I assume you will see some difference, otherwise everyone would just haul dry van loads.

As for moving to Florida, Florida is terrible to get freight out of except during produce season, but that means if your dispatcher is smart and they don't give the game away to the freight broker they can get decent money to get you home because the pay out of florida is crap (but you won't care as much presumably because you want to get home).

A bit rambley there and I've been out of the game for 2.5 years now but LMK if you have any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Victory Position posted:

Not sure if you're still reading this thread, but I'm looking to get a job doing something like this or similar, though I have an extra couple years of working around hazmat to add to that. I've been at my job a long (5+ years) while and am looking to make something that isn't below the poverty line.

I've looked around at IATA-supported jobs, but am not really sure how brokerage or forwarding works quite yet. Where should I start?

Were you a hazmat driver or perhaps were you handling the hazmat paperwork that's involved with shipping hazmat stuff?

IATA...I don't have any real info on air freight operations, I technically worked for a NVOCC that provided air freight options but I a) didn't work there long and b) didn't handle any of those details.

I've worked for 2 different 3PLs and know people who have worked in 3 others, they are all very similar overall. If you have no experience in normal times* I would not recommend going to work for a 3PL where you are running solo at home and expected to bring your own book of business and know shippers and truckers. For example I wouldn't become a Landstar agent, or any of the similar operations like that.

I would recommend working for a company that has an office with people to teach you how to find available trucks and carriers and work the truck postings online (360/DAT, truckstop), there will also be people in the office getting the loads from shippers. You can combine these jobs but I prefer different people doing them. Which company depends on your area and who is around.

*with corona going around I guess it depends on your risk tolerance and what your current job is like, brokerage for me was like 20+ people in one room with probably ~6ft between seats side to side and someone sitting across or behind you 4-5ft away