Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dynathoughts

Early shot of Japanese Deathmatch Legend Luther. Still no Excalibur. They need to make Toney full play by play, he's already driving.

1) Young Bucks vs Uno and Stu. Early assault from the Dark Order henchmen. Hot start that adds peril to the match. Stu Grayson stays on my Mount Rushmore of underappreciated AEW guys. Uno shouldn't be slept on either. The midair catch into German suplex was fantastic. JR you don't need to make the Dick Grayson joke every time. Angelico just lounging on a box in the background is great. This is a wild and fun match to start. One of the little things that Dynamite does that I love: they always start with a red hot match, giving people incentive to tune in from the start. This was such a clever hero finish

Wardlow. MJF walking with his entourage. He does the self important Candidate thing superbly.

I hate when they say Shida is "in action", because it means "squashing a jobber"

Loved the Hangman / Omega "greatest tag team of all time" spot.

MJF doing the candidate thing again. Love Sabian supporting him in the crowd. MJF's lovely nicknames for Moxley are great. Sailing a bit close to the wind with the "look up at the lights" comment. Goddamn, the camera work on this is outstanding. GO TO THE BUMS! GET THAT IDIOT! Mox has the Stone Cold thing down perfectly. He has an efficiency of movement and action that is superb, no wasted motion.

Matt Hardy interview, kind of poorly mic'ed. Good that they confirmed on air that Dynamite is Saturday. Matt was decently unhinged here.

2) Cody vs Scorpio Sky. This needs to be Sky's time. The "Kick the door down" spot was great, but the door should have come down on "SKY". Love the symbolism of Cody with his entourage and Sky as a lone wolf. Cody is basically working positional heel here. "Prince of Pro Wrestling" is a heel moniker. Oh hey, Mike Chioda! Big Fight Feel in full effect. Sky starts off hot and wild. For all that I sometimes rag on him, Cody is great at making an opponent feel important. Wow, the submission spots are really making Cody look like a bad guy here. This is a hell of a singles match. Toney, Sky was half of the first tag team champions, not just first African American tag champ. KICK OUT OF CROSS RHODES! That's a king-making moment. This is a methodical match, but it's really really good. Until... gently caress. I really wanted Sky to win. That's left me a bit deflated.

Ooh, Mr Brodie as next challenger? With the old belt? Nice.

3) Jurassic Express vs Cowboy Bebop. Hi, Bryce! Kenny starting off aggressive against Jungle Boy. Marko doing his yappy dog thing. Kenny in tights that don't suck. Match start is a little scrappy but the action is fun throughout. While he's never going to be the fastest, Luchasaurus has a combination of power and athleticism that's utterly compelling. The continuation of the Marko / Kenny feud is fun. Kenny being half of the best tag team in AEW sometimes makes you forget that he's probably the best singles wrestler in the whole company. Jungle Boy is just so fast and athletic and charismatic to watch. This was the ending I was expecting but boy was it a fun match.

Proud and Powerful wrecking Dustin and Greg's luggage is fun.

Butcher and Blade look like cats on a hot day, wilting in the heat.

Tag Team Appreciation Night. Matt Jackson is a bit too ego polishing here. Dax is pretty decent on the mic. Ricky Morton can still talk, but he gets a bit lost here. Tully gives a pretty effective wake up call here. He's awfully good at the truth telling element. Segment ending was a bit chaotic, too many moving parts.

Hahaha, Jericho's jacket is more horribly orange every time.

Sammy doing the cards again. The chat with the camera guy was unintentionally great.

4) Hikaru Shida vs... Heather Monroe? Heather gets a hot start, which is probably the only way to shoot your shot in a Shida match. Crikey, this is a lot more back and forth than I was expecting... until the submission finisher of course. And still no challenger for All Out

Lance murdering people behind Jake is great. Lance writing things on Jake is weird.

Ooh, putting All Out 2019 on youtube for free? Nice.

And the women's tournament final on Dynamite? That's cool.

5) Chris Jericho vs Orange Cassidy. Surprisingly fast start. Cassidy's flying shoulder is flat out beautiful. The match wasn't as spectacular as their last one but still compelling. Cassidy showing some real innovation here with things like the dragon screw. Love some of the Chioda spots here. Huge Red Shoes energy as he grabs the bat. Boo to Hager coming in, yay to Orange kicking out. ORANGE WINS! The ending wasn't pretty, but Orange by god Cassidy has a pinfall victory over Chris Jericho.

I wasn't feeling Dynamite as much this week as last, but all told this was a remarkably fun show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

A Fancy Hat posted:

Shawn Spears is going to turn face when he assumes he's on the new Four Horsemen and Tully calls him a huge loser or whatever.

FTR looks like a solid pick, plus maybe a conflicted Adam Page? For the fourth guy I have no clue.

I'd say bring in Pillman Jr. That way you have a tag, a big match guy, and a junior.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

NXT did 619k.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-wednesday-cable-originals-network-finals-8-12-2020.html

Booyakka booyakka

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

most importantly, AEW obliterated Guy's Grocery Games.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

So here's a question. If Dynamite is postponed until Saturday next week, is there an appetite for a communal Wednesday night rewatch of the first half of All Out?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

According to Fite's COO, viewership on Fite Plus in Europe is "staggering"

quote:

"We offer a subscription called AEW Plus that's not available in the US, Canada, Germany or France but is available in the rest of the world. It's been bought in over 100 countries and initially the interest was very encouraging and it's had a steady climb. I would say it's not a rocket ship but it's a steady climb with no fall off. What gets me is that I get the numbers of people watching it live and it's quite staggering how many people are watching it live from Europe which is early in the morning. They have a strong and loyal following. The last PPV event, Revolution, was the highest-purchased event out of the six shows we've done with them? They're doing everything right at the moment. It looks really good and we're excited to see that."

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/03/fite-coo-michael-weber-says-aew-dynamite-live-viewership-in-668360/

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Back when they were doing a weekly show, Defiant had his first post-WWE match in Newcastle on an episode of Loaded. Compared to the rest of the show the crowd sounded like they'd doubled in size and tripled in volume.

(sadly the match is now unwatchable as his opponent was David Starr, but at the time it was a huge reaction)

For full effect you'd have to get a Geordie to do his introduction, just to go "He is... a BASTARD!"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It feels like they've got development on lock, they have some people who are going to be amazing in a year. They have some great people who hopefully will be back in action or able to travel to the USA in the the next 3-6 months. What they're lacking (and I think the tag tournament was a way of getting us there) is the medium term. Who Shida will be facing at the next two PPVs, who Nyla will be feuding with, that kind of thing.

Coming out of the tournament, I could easily see them giving more work to:

Diamante
Ivelisse
Rachel Ellering
Nicole Savoy
Tay Conti

That's enough to give some feuds and some options for a while.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah, with Bea and with Sadie both it seems less like "you're fired" and more like "hey, we can't keep paying you while we can't use you". Which frees both of them up to follow other opportunities without actually burning bridges.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

If Cody Rhodes is a midcarder then I've misunderstood what "midcarder" means for decades.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

MorningMoon posted:

Yeah, I think anything that gets dropped dropped is either a misdirect to add tension (Hangman possibly joining the Dark Order way back when), or due to real world stuff getting in the way.

The Hangman thing paid off hugely in one of the best ever BTE segments.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

smarxist posted:

Alan Angels vs Billy
Lance Archer vs Jon Cruz/Jessy Sorensen (yes they've moved to handicap matches for Lance lmao)
Beaver Boys/Cult Cabana vs D3, Ryzin, Faboo Andre
Shawn Dean & Frank Stone vs Sonny Kiss & Joey Janela
Will Hobbs vs Shawn Spears
Michael Nakazawa vs Kip Sabian
Private Party & SCU vs Lucha Bros & The Butcher & The Blade
Red Velvet vs Abadon
Ricky Starks vs Lee Johnson
Baron Black & Tony Donati vs Santana & Ortiz
The Hybrid2 vs The Initiative

Jesse Sorensen as in footballhead from TNA? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Sorensen

quote:

Private Party & SCU vs Lucha Bros & The Butcher & The Blade

This match is going to absolutely smack.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 17, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

smarxist posted:

can't even get more than one women's div match on Dark :negative:

Comfort yourself with the semi finals of the tag tournament tonight.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

He's also used things directly from Vince. It's both things.

And definitely at least some of the things people think are Vince bits are Miscaviage bits and vice versa.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

Do you fine folks really think Cody is going to lose the Cody Presents Cody Wins Belt, Starring Cody

You're right, of course, he's going to hold it until he dies and they bury him wearing it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Tournathoughts

Toney and Veda on the mic. Veda is great on the mic. Shaul Guererro is great as a ring announcer.

1) Swole Family vs Nightmare Sisters. Go Swole Family. They have super infectious energy. The Nightmare Sisters are doing some interesting antagonistic / semi heel stuff. A full heel corporate Brandi could be fun. Start wrestling sequence was a bit awkward, got less so when Allie tagged in. Lil Swole does a great job at being face in peril. Very good hot tag stuff from Swole, apart from one weird kick spot that didn't work. Britt Baker rolling up was fun, but I still wanted the Swole Family to win. I also kind of wanted Big Swole to check on Lil Swole.

2) Anna Jay and Tay Conti vs Ivelisse and Diamante. Tay's video package features Christ The Redeemer, towering high over Rio. Rio Di Janeiro. And speaking of messiahs, here's Mr Brodie. Tay Conti has some really excellent strikes. The in-ring is a lot smoother here than in the last match. Ivelisse and Diamante have some superb double team manoeuvres. If Anna Jay is actually just 11 months into her career, she is an insanely fast learner. There's an energy to this match I like, lots of hard effective offense. Everyone looked pretty good.

So we have Nightmare Sisters vs Ivelisse and Diamante on Dynamite this Saturday. And I hope Ivelisse and Diamante wipe the floor with their opponents.

This was a fun show.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

I'm here for Tay Conti slowly morphing into Minoru Suzuki

One of the real pleasant surprises of the second match - apart from how quickly Anna Jay is becoming a really good worker - was the incongruity between Tay Conti being a tall pretty blonde in a sparkly outfit and Tay Conti being an absolute strike machine who took a weak kick off Ivelisse, looked pissed off about it, and then tried to put an elbow through her head.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

faves:

1. W
2. A
3. R
4. D
5. L
6. O
7. W

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Keltar posted:

Look at this, LOOK AT THIS

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERDS

I wanna play too

(sue's son)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It is Wednesday.

Meh, dudes.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

she's gonna take that title. It looks right on her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Keltar posted:

So with Renee Young leaving WWE wonder what are the odds she'll show up at AEW. Her sights are probably set higher.

AEW would I think be delighted to have her because she's an exceptional broadcaster, but I think she could end up as a network anchor no problem.