Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Oh God, you just reminded me I had a “suit” of light brown corduroy consisting of pants and a matching Levi’s jacket in the 70s. It was inevitably paired with a particular plaid shirt.

I thought it was the bee’s knees.

The Cubelodyte fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I'm going to live forever.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Sunswipe posted:

80s theme tunes were just the best.

Tour of Duty
https://youtu.be/V7krUOqf6I8

Technically double nostalgia because the song is much older but this was the opening theme that meant bedtime for us kids. Except on the holidays when Dad would let us stay up and traumatise ourselves watching it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Less time passed between "Disco Inferno" and Cypress Hill than between the World Trade Center's destruction and Trump being elected.

The four most noteworthy events in American history

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
*skateboards into thread, does a kick-flip and skateboards back out* :hehe:

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

pop up video!

blooooooop

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I do agree that the 2000s were the worst decade, widespread internet was a mistake

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*nodding thoughtfully while inspecting a screenshot of a 90s AOL chatroom*

"an elegant weapon of a more civilized age."

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
AOL was the best time I had on the internet. I miss it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

sharknado slashfic posted:

I do agree that the 2000s were the worst decade, widespread internet was a mistake
I miss the era when I would just not bring up things that happened online because I knew it might be impossible to explain to whoever I was talking to what "online" even was.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

some bust on that guy posted:

AOL was the best time I had on the internet. I miss it.

Through some packet-sniffing fuckery I was able to sign onto AOL 3.0/4.0 back not that long ago so I made a thread with all the stuff I found complete with tons of screen shots: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517794

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

Dr.D-O posted:

I miss the gross "boy toys" of the 80s.

oh my god did anyone else have that creepy crawlers oven? that poo poo was the best.

also toy related, the shag carpeting in my childhood bedroom always had a few hidden crossfire metal balls in it to step on. When we finally ripped it out in the late 90s a few of them fell out and rolled away.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Skratte posted:

oh my god did anyone else have that creepy crawlers oven? that poo poo was the best.

Yeah, my family had the original thing, they were pretty cool.

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
Remember that episode of Gilligan's Island where they got super powers from irradiated vegetables and had to eat soap?

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

kecske posted:

here you go op

https://youtu.be/wJWksPWDKOc

a long rear end audio track designed to simulate the descent into dementia

THANK YOU FOR THIS! I've got an artist friend with extensive caretaker experience and a family full of dementia who I immediately forwarded the Bandcamp link to

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Remember when MTV, Music Television, actually played music videos?

millenials actually are kinda responsible for killing the music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ysyZF-DZFY

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

There's a lot of full episodes of old cartoons on youtube. I started watching ones from the late 80's, when I would have been too young to really understand anything but would still have hazy memories of those cartoons or ones like them. Not even good ones I might be interested in the story but lovely ones that tried to be hip for the time period. Like Popeye and Son or the New Archies or Yo Yogi. I turn them on mute and put some music on, and just watch the shapes and colors move around, cartoons running around a mall or surfing or playing baseball or whatever. I feel like a warm hazy glow of just being there as a kid while stuff happened around me. I had older cousins who had toys from the earlier 80's, it reminds me of playing with them in the backyard, going to the park, watching them play street hockey. It reminds me of a time where all the family was together, and we would do things, go on trips, celebrate holidays.
I live by myself now. My cousins all got married and moved away. My uncle died, my grandpa died, my grandma is in a care home with dementia. I call my mom every week, she barely leaves the house any more these days.
Sometimes I like to mentally go back in time for a bit. Maybe it means I'm not all right inside but you know. That's just how it is right now

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Through some packet-sniffing fuckery I was able to sign onto AOL 3.0/4.0 back not that long ago so I made a thread with all the stuff I found complete with tons of screen shots: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517794

Christ, last updated in what, 99/2000 based on the news headlines? I forgot Errol's Internet was even a thing.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

This brings back memories of being an adult

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

sharknado slashfic posted:

Christ, last updated in what, 99/2000 based on the news headlines? I forgot Errol's Internet was even a thing.

Oh gently caress, I remember Erol's video store that got sold to Blockbuster, and Erol used the money to morph into an ISP that was absorbed by RCN.
Erol Onaran lived the Great Turkish Dream, which was to come to America, live the American Dream, blow through most of the money, then retire to Turkey to die in relative comfort.
ed: https://enacademic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/6856402

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 17, 2020

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

torgo posted:

Were you an 80s kid who loved Nickelodeon? Remember how they filled out the schedule with those ancient TV shows like Dennis the Menace or Lassie?

Here's a fun fact: those "old" shows were about the same age in the 80s that the original 80s Nick programming is now.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Also another fun fact is that the stores near me play stuff from the 80's now, like I randomly hear Madonna playing in Kroger's sometimes when I'm in there and I know it's because some millennial is now the manager. And then it hits me that to zoomers, hearing 80's poo poo in a store would be like if I were in a store in the 90's and they were playing The Kinks or something.

One time several years ago somebody played a remix of Guile's Theme from Street Fighter 2 over the PA in Wal-Mart. I really want to know who was responsible for that because they rule.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I never saw this show, but I downloaded this song in 1997 in an MSN chat room where people were trading WAVs.

It's burned into my brain because I ending up using it in my "audio show", basically a podcast before they existed.

12-year-old me would download a bunch of WAVs from chat rooms and websites and then write a script around them, and edit it all together in Cool Edit Pro. I called it "The Late Late at Night Show", and it was just a straight up late night format show. I'd do an opening monologue, do some crowd stuff, have a celebrity interview (cut together with clips of them), and a musical guest.

To get my show you had to come into my chat room and message me and then I'd send the file through chat and it took like an hour. I had dozens of fans.

At the same time I also had my own fake zine called "The Void", which was an outlet for me to create terrible joke Photoshops (paint shop pros really) like "Marilyn Hanson" and "Fondle Me Elmo".

These were a big hit when I printed them out on my bubble jet printer and took them to school.

I have barely changed as a human.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Tip posted:

I never saw this show, but I downloaded this song in 1997 in an MSN chat room where people were trading WAVs.

It's burned into my brain because I ending up using it in my "audio show", basically a podcast before they existed.

12-year-old me would download a bunch of WAVs from chat rooms and websites and then write a script around them, and edit it all together in Cool Edit Pro. I called it "The Late Late at Night Show", and it was just a straight up late night format show. I'd do an opening monologue, do some crowd stuff, have a celebrity interview (cut together with clips of them), and a musical guest.

To get my show you had to come into my chat room and message me and then I'd send the file through chat and it took like an hour. I had dozens of fans.

At the same time I also had my own fake zine called "The Void", which was an outlet for me to create terrible joke Photoshops (paint shop pros really) like "Marilyn Hanson" and "Fondle Me Elmo".

These were a big hit when I printed them out on my bubble jet printer and took them to school.

I have barely changed as a human.

talk about peaking early!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

dracky posted:

There's a lot of full episodes of old cartoons on youtube. I started watching ones from the late 80's, when I would have been too young to really understand anything but would still have hazy memories of those cartoons or ones like them. Not even good ones I might be interested in the story but lovely ones that tried to be hip for the time period. Like Popeye and Son or the New Archies or Yo Yogi. I turn them on mute and put some music on, and just watch the shapes and colors move around, cartoons running around a mall or surfing or playing baseball or whatever. I feel like a warm hazy glow of just being there as a kid while stuff happened around me. I had older cousins who had toys from the earlier 80's, it reminds me of playing with them in the backyard, going to the park, watching them play street hockey. It reminds me of a time where all the family was together, and we would do things, go on trips, celebrate holidays.
I live by myself now. My cousins all got married and moved away. My uncle died, my grandpa died, my grandma is in a care home with dementia. I call my mom every week, she barely leaves the house any more these days.
Sometimes I like to mentally go back in time for a bit. Maybe it means I'm not all right inside but you know. That's just how it is right now

I was really saddened to hear two or three years ago that Saturday morning cartoons were completely killed off.

I realize how much different it is now with on demand programming but drat there was nothing better than grabbing some cereal and catching Fantastic Max, Bobby's World, US Acres and some other blah cartoons at the rear end crack of dawn.

Kinda like video rental stores. I get how they're useless now and are an actual inconvenience but I miss them.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

dracky posted:

Well besides that I want to give you a hug, Dracky, I pretty much hear you completely. I have four monitors in my absurd nerd cave setup and the one on the wall on the other side of the room is exclusively for background video nonsense; I usually watch YouTube retrogaming people or other niche interest videos, but sometimes do watch exactly the kind of thing you describe there (though I usually just have the volume on at a low level), or late 1980s/early 1990s professional wrestling since that was the only time I watched it as a little kid, or even straight-up compilations of commercials from whatever era I was likely to have been playing with action figures in the living room while my still-living mother and childhood pet cat meandered merrily about. It seems to me as long as you are also capable of finding happiness doing other things, too, that there is no real harm to this.

Tip posted:

Well that is all pretty rad, congratulations. Now why are you not doing similar things in 2020, is the question?

My friends and I would fill entire blank tapes with stream-of-consciousness improv "comedy" or snippets of songs played from other sources or whatever, and I think if we had been about ten years younger doing the exact same thing would have resulted in a permanent Internet record of our incredibly uninteresting ideas. A blessing and a curse.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

dracky posted:

you have us.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

Skratte posted:

I love telling gen z's that the coolest thing to wear when I was in like 8th grade was those giant felt dr suess hats. You'd think I was lying if you didn't live through the 90s.

gently caress i had one of these. it was hot pink and turquoise.

i also wore JNCOs and Airwalks. I had a jacksonville jaguars starter pullover coat for some reason too. had A LOT of flannel. everything had a nirvana smiley face on it, or some other reference to grunge/post-grunge music.

we watched the OJ Simpson verdict live during homeroom.

Skratte posted:

also toy related, the shag carpeting in my childhood bedroom always had a few hidden crossfire metal balls in it to step on. When we finally ripped it out in the late 90s a few of them fell out and rolled away.

i had a horrible grass green/lemon yellow/olive green shag in my bedroom. that was ok, it gave something for all the my little ponies to eat.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Well that is all pretty rad, congratulations. Now why are you not doing similar things in 2020, is the question?

Weird assumption when I ended my post with "I have barely changed".

I've had 4 gold mined Photoshop threads this year:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908588
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918273
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3922948
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3924577

I recorded 18 episodes of a podcast this year, including one where I play the billionaire host of a game show half written by AI.

I'm also in most of the episodes of a narrative podcast called Sharkman that just released this week.

And I'm releasing the world's first freestyle rapping rhythm game this summer, so I think I'm even still ahead of the curve like I was in 1997.

It has been a slow year though, was down with coronavirus for 3 months.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

Well besides that I want to give you a hug, Dracky, I pretty much hear you completely. I have four monitors in my absurd nerd cave setup and the one on the wall on the other side of the room is exclusively for background video nonsense; I usually watch YouTube retrogaming people or other niche interest videos, but sometimes do watch exactly the kind of thing you describe there (though I usually just have the volume on at a low level), or late 1980s/early 1990s professional wrestling since that was the only time I watched it as a little kid, or even straight-up compilations of commercials from whatever era I was likely to have been playing with action figures in the living room while my still-living mother and childhood pet cat meandered merrily about. It seems to me as long as you are also capable of finding happiness doing other things, too, that there is no real harm to this.

Strumpie posted:

you have us.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
also can i take this opportunity to say you made the best post i have ever seen and i have been angry (read: insanely jealous) about it ever since.

dracky posted:

I have no taste, I have a big butt and my butt smells and I like to kiss my own butt

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

dracky posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck right in the feels.

My grandparents all died over 15 years ago now and I'm dealing with aging parents and young children, but this rings so true. The 21st century is lonely as gently caress and this pandemic has made it so much worse. Some of my cousins didn't move away but they are all even busier than I am these days. I miss my cousins a lot.

There was a time in my life in the early oughts when I contracted an illness and had to drop out of college and move back into my parents' basement. Around the same time one of my cousins moved in while he got the lay of the land in Portland. Then a third cousin who was in college up in Washington got sick with Malaria and had to drop out and moved to the basement too.

That summer we were all unemployed men and in our early 20s living in my parents' house where they had stocked the fridge with gourmet food and kept only the finest coffee on hand. One of my cousins was an early rider so he'd get up and make coffee at around 7:30. I'd roll out of bed about 8:00, and at 9 when we were brewing the second pot we'd wake up my other cousin. We would sit in the basement and roll cigarettes out of a pouch of drum tobacco and a book of zigzags, and use my little brother's G.I. Joe guns to tuck in the ends. Then we'd go out on the covered back patio where we had a rug, upholstered chairs, a precolumbian lamp, and a coffee table. We'd sit there smoking and drinking coffee for a couple hours before finding some way to fill our time for the day like going to record.stores or buying decrepit 1980s video game consoles at the goodwill bins. It only lasted a summer, but it is probably one of the happiest times of my life.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Some things I miss about my childhood were the sounds of the media from that day. I grew up on educational programming and some of the sounds still bring a little tear to my eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JJKbYTl4-4
This would always precede an episode of Nova or This Old House

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kan20tk7VLc&t=40s
Or Carl Sagan's voice over inspiring music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CMAK0N3U8k
The theme song from the Edison Twins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FBi6Tu9Gq4
The sounds of an arcade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2FaK4vhLv8
The weird laugh track that was in the Flintstones

I remember that on the weekends everybody in the complex would be cleaning their houses or just hanging around and listening to their stereo systems. The cacophony of sound was so soothing 'cause it meant that things were cool. I very rarely hear anyone play music anymore considering big stereos are nowhere near as popular and personal music is the thing now. In the summer months, as it got late and I was super young, I would hear kids playing outside at like 9pm and I would be upset that I couldn't join them.

Also, I should mention that certain smells still trigger me. The smell of paper, erasers, new shoes and fresh denim still triggers that sense of both excitement and dread for a new year at school. I still have nightmares about it except I've been late for school for 30 years and have to make up the missing work. That crushing feeling of shame and dread still gets me even at 40 until I of course wake up.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
I lived in a time before video games. When I was like 6 we got our first video game, a Coleco Telstar, basically a Pong clone.

dad old, so what

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Tarkus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JJKbYTl4-4
This would always precede an episode of Nova or This Old House

It’s funny to me that supposedly lots of kids were scared by that intro. To me it was exciting because I was about to watch Zoom or some other cool show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHjMEwZt5OE

Also I loved 321 contact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kypt0mAL2TA

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Snowy posted:

It’s funny to me that supposedly lots of kids were scared by that intro. To me it was exciting because I was about to watch Zoom or some other cool show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHjMEwZt5OE

Also I loved 321 contact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kypt0mAL2TA

I forgot about 321 Contact, my favorite theme song for a kids show ever. Zoom is a bit before my time though.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug
Remember Stevie Washington from MTV (back when they used to play videos)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezgjoOjbnVI

How about this before the Feature Presentation in the theater?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F_tv1XNoCc

:corsair:

EDIT: Or drive-in movies! One of the kids I went to high school with lived in the screen at a local drive in. Being in the screen was weird and awesome at the same time.

The Hambulance fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 18, 2020

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
The first Pokemon I ever played was Yellow, and it belonged to my cousin, and I was immediately smitten with it. When my mom got me a GBC & Pokemon Gold for Christmas 2001, I played it for almost 13 hours straight and only took bathroom breaks. :corsair:

Anyway, here are other things I remember because I'm old:
-rating-less TV shows
-the TV Guide channel where they had country music videos in the header
-all of the non-Beyonce members of Destiny's Child
-Destiny's Child
-naming my bootleg Tamagotchi "Kevin Jr." after Noodles from The Offspring
-checkered seatbelt belts from Hot Topic
-K-Rock

Duck and Cover posted:

As far as cartoon nostalgia goes I sometimes try to watch Thundercats but stop when I get to the Ro-Bear Berbil.

I named my first cat Panthro. :unsmith:

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

YeahTubaMike posted:

The first Pokemon I ever played was Yellow, and it belonged to my cousin, and I was immediately smitten with it. When my mom got me a GBC & Pokemon Gold for Christmas 2001, I played it for almost 13 hours straight and only took bathroom breaks. :corsair:
-rating-less TV shows
-the TV Guide channel where they had country music videos in the header

This reminds me that we used to buy the newspaper on Fridays because inside was a TV guide, an actual little magazine that would have listings for TV shows for the week. We didn't have a guide channel until I was about 13.

I didn't play Pokemon until I was like 22, but I played Pokemon Gold and enjoyed the Pokemon franchise up until about 7 years ago. They were great games but they need a new vision behind them or something, they feel stale.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I remember my family having home deliveries of milk and also potato chips (Charles Chips)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Tarkus posted:

I didn't play Pokemon until I was like 22, but I played Pokemon Gold and enjoyed the Pokemon franchise up until about 7 years ago. They were great games but they need a new vision behind them or something, they feel stale.

You could always try HeartGold/SoulSilver. I have SoulSilver and it holds up so much better than some of the newer generations.