Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Spinz posted:

Yup. The weirdest part is you will be the EXACT same inside at 50 too and horrors, you are old. It's a nightmare, really.

A&W will no longer mean root beer, it will just describe you: Ancient & Wretched.
snype

Ed: There is an ancient saying, famous among men, that thou shouldst not judge fully of a man's life before he dieth, whether it should be called blest or wretched.
Sophocles

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You can totally judge my life before I die.
It's fine.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

liquid television

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i unironically love the 90s but also acknowledge how fuckinbg lovely they were.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

sure i had super nintendo, but

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I turn 35 today. That's half of seventy. Seventy!
I am become old

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

happy birthday

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

This isn't nostalgia but I noticed that I can't run up stairs anymore and need to hold on a banister or I'll stumble if I'm going to fast.

Getting old sucks folks

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
Were you an 80s kid who loved Nickelodeon? Remember how they filled out the schedule with those ancient TV shows like Dennis the Menace or Lassie?

Here's a fun fact: those "old" shows were about the same age in the 80s that the original 80s Nick programming is now.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

its never gone away, there's one written in marker outside the high school near me

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
It blows my mind to think that the length of time between Pearl Harbor and 1980 is less than the amount of time from 1980 to now.

I was born in 1970, which was closer to the Crash of 1929 than it is to now.

A young man or woman of 20 today thinks about the 1970s the same way I thought of the 1940s.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

dragon friends

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
just turned the text scaling on the awful app up was wondering why I was getting a headache :rip:

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Number_6 posted:

It blows my mind to think that the length of time between Pearl Harbor and 1980 is less than the amount of time from 1980 to now.

A young man or woman of 20 today thinks about the 1970s the same way I thought of the 1940s.

hey, stop, I don't like this. that was all in the distant past.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Number_6 posted:

I know, for me I watch stuff from the 60's and consider it some sort of smoky distant time away but then I think about it and it is only 20 years away from when I was born and the year 2000 doesn't feel that long ago. My father is 20 years older than me and he doesn't seem that old to me... anymore. Then I remember that I will probably be 60 years old by the time my parents are at end of their lives. I will be an old man, and they will be really old and then I will think about how small a difference 20 years is but that an old man (me) is looking after even older parents.

I'm 40 now and I feel exactly as stupid as I did when I was 20 except I'm more employable because experience does actually count for something in some fields. I'm not even that old yet but I feel as though I have wasted my life and there's nothing left and that I am way too old to adapt to the world or learn anything new. Learning is much harder but I am more tempered in my train of thought.

All of this is nonsense and the time we live is short. Make the best of it I guess.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Only fellow old people remember Mummenschantz. Swiss surrealist mime for kids has never been the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXMwzFAtE3o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7AeSjcjHd0

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm only 33, but I feel like I'm gonna blink one day and be 40. I miss being able to eat whatever I want and not be fat as a result.

I imagine this only gets worse the older I get eh

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm only 33, but I feel like I'm gonna blink one day and be 40. I miss being able to eat whatever I want and not be fat as a result.

That's almost entirely because we tend to get more sedentary as we age. Keep movin' and you'll be okay.

Signed, a sedentary fat person.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ginette Reno posted:

You will and it does. Your metabolism will start to drop at about 30 and will fall off a loving cliff at around 35. Start getting into exercise and healthy eating now. I was never able to really put on weight in my 20s and early 30s no matter how much garbage I ate or how little I moved but in the past 6 months of quarantine I've somehow managed to. It's a golden time to buy an exercise bike or a treadmill or something.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Snowy posted:

Only fellow old people remember Mummenschantz. Swiss surrealist mime for kids has never been the same
Thanks for reminding me to promote this Mummenschantz-related video, another excellent example of "sometimes one-hit wonders have other songs that are as good or better!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sl5mm91qUI

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I'm 30 and I like watching cartoons and also I like jerking my weener off (not at the same time), two things that I also liked doing an a young teenager. Really brings me back, tell you what

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Nooner posted:

I'm 30 and I like watching cartoons and also I like jerking my weener off (not at the same time), two things that I also liked doing an a young teenager. Really brings me back, tell you what

gently caress you nooner.

I'm 35 now and feeling really old. I'm working out a lot so things aren't too bad. But just wanted to say "gently caress you nooner you are the worst" and no one cares about you

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

dont talk to nooner that way bitch

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

grill youre saelf posted:

gently caress you nooner.

I'm 35 now and feeling really old. I'm working out a lot so things aren't too bad. But just wanted to say "gently caress you nooner you are the worst" and no one cares about you

Ha it's always some alt of a loon

Look 300 posts in 20 yrs

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

grill youre saelf posted:

I'm 35 now and feeling really old.

that makes me feel extremely old and I don’t appreciate it

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
well well well, looks like i'm the youngest person in the thread so far.
don't mind me, just hanging on to all these 2's.

i'm nostalgic for mid/late 2000s emo style.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

I love telling gen z's that the coolest thing to wear when I was in like 8th grade was those giant felt dr suess hats. You'd think I was lying if you didn't live through the 90s.

Also those airbrushed animaniacs shirts. Super cool and not in an ironic way.

I don't have kids, but I hope kids still sing that hello operator song, because it's just a real fun way to almost say curse words.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
I remember our first tv was in a huge wooden cabinet frame thing and had no remote. You turned it on by pulling a knob and changed channels by using a dial.

Both my dad and grandpa would turn “TV” duty into a game for my sister and I because they didn’t want to get up.

There is a five year difference between myself and my youngest sister (three of us total). When we watched Poltergeist I had to explain to her that after a certain time at night there was nothing on tv but those colored bars or static. Blew her mind.

Also pagers were big for a while.

My mom use to buy McDonalds by writing a check. Styrofoam everything.

I could go on and on.

Old.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I miss the gross "boy toys" of the 80s.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

We had a big wooden cabinet type record player flanked by heavy yellow glass and garish gold 60s lamps. I remember playing mom's leftover hippy albums. Simon and Garfunkel's Sound of Silence and Sergeant Pepper and Surrealistic Pillow over and over.

My mom says when I was really young like 5ish I would get out her ancient waffle iron which was a metal suitcase on squat legs and put it on the floor and use it's long curly cord as a microphone to sing along with Tom Jones.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Is Tom Jones still alive? I've been half tempted to make a thread about celebrities you forget are dead but it always seemed a little morbid.

I freak out a little bit when I remember that Luke Perry is dead.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Is Tom Jones still alive? I've been half tempted to make a thread about celebrities you forget are dead but it always seemed a little morbid.

I freak out a little bit when I remember that Luke Perry is dead.

Gee I looked still going at 80
Didn't know Luke was dead

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

GoutPatrol posted:

This isn't nostalgia but I noticed that I can't run up stairs anymore and need to hold on a banister or I'll stumble if I'm going to fast.

Getting old sucks folks

Mine is actual fear of falling. I feel and banged my leg against my stair case and it tore open. Not serious, just 3 or 4 mm. I cleaned it up and it took TEN MONTHS to heal the way it was.

Another is realizing just how young people in the military are. I remember when I was a kid in the first Iraq war and hearing a 24 year old had died and then thinking, "That's sad, but he lived a full life."

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

https://youtu.be/thmOZfFJWX0

Loved the opening song as a kid.

https://youtu.be/q3w7w58CREY

https://youtu.be/FZLFOOspuds

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I get nostalgic about a lot things but the weirdest ones that give me nostalgia are America Online and bad, quickly-cancelled Fox sitcoms from the '90s.

Being nostalgic for AOL makes no sense because AOL sucked and I always hated it. It was slow, glitchy, and you'd get banned for saying "rear end" in a chat room. I'm nostalgic for all the AOL keywords like Keyword: GamePro or Keyword: CDNow which were these weird little channels instead of actual websites. They loaded a lot faster and were more like Windows programs than they were websites. It sucked poo poo, yet I miss it. Every once in a while I get the urge to install the software and remember that sometime in 2019 they started charging to be able to use the software. So believe it or not it still exists, but you have to pay for it. I am dying to see what it's like now, but not at the cost of $20 per month and having to talk to someone to cancel it.

I'm not sure why I am nostalgic for old, lovely, quickly-canceled Fox sitcoms. "Down the Shore" and "House of Buggin" are good examples of some:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQuk-WjNbtE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSReprGyNHk

The only explanation I can come up with is that these came out when I was in junior high and I had not a care in the world. My parents had a TV Guide subscription and I'd always look through it for the stupid black and white print ads for new TV shows, and Fox always had the dumbest ones. I'd always check them out though, after walking to the corner store and buying some Cheeto's Paws and Surge soda or whatever.

During the summertime I would literally not go to sleep until 4 AM and I'd wake up at like 2 PM the next day. I can't believe my parents let me get away with that. I remember one time my friend knocking on my bedroom window and I was startled awake. It was 6:30 PM.

Tarkus posted:

I know, for me I watch stuff from the 60's and consider it some sort of smoky distant time away but then I think about it and it is only 20 years away from when I was born and the year 2000 doesn't feel that long ago.

Yeah this gets me too. "Music from 30 years ago" feels like it should be Disco Inferno and, not How I Can Just Kill a Man by Cypress Hill.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
im still young and full of potential but nostalgia for me is waking up at 3 am to the cowbell sounds of the Geoge Lopez show intro

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Check out the video game Hypnospace Outlaw if you are nostalgic for early AOL, it is a beautiful and original recreation of that aesthetic.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

A Strange Aeon posted:

Check out the video game Hypnospace Outlaw if you are nostalgic for early AOL, it is a beautiful and original recreation of that aesthetic.

I bought it on Steam a while ago but like everything on Steam I rarely have time to play it.

I guess I'm also nostalgic for being able to play video games.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I bought it on Steam a while ago but like everything on Steam I rarely have time to play it.

I guess I'm also nostalgic for being able to play video games.

Yeah, that's a big one. Even when I have the time after putting our daughter to bed on a Friday or Saturday, there's tons of things weighing on my mind I know I'll have to deal with and it's not just pure escapism like when I was younger and had no clue how precious that truly free time would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Yeah this gets me too. "Music from 30 years ago" feels like it should be Disco Inferno and, not How I Can Just Kill a Man by Cypress Hill.

It's weird, it's like everything freezes around a fixed point in time (for me at least) when I was around 18 and no matter how much older I get things from then still seem current. I died a little inside when the local classic rock station started playing Stone Temple Pilots. Classic rock is from the 70s, not the 90s.

Make corduroy cool again, it's bad enough skinny pants are back.