Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Check out the video game Hypnospace Outlaw if you are nostalgic for early AOL, it is a beautiful and original recreation of that aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I bought it on Steam a while ago but like everything on Steam I rarely have time to play it.

I guess I'm also nostalgic for being able to play video games.

Yeah, that's a big one. Even when I have the time after putting our daughter to bed on a Friday or Saturday, there's tons of things weighing on my mind I know I'll have to deal with and it's not just pure escapism like when I was younger and had no clue how precious that truly free time would be.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It sort of sucks, you realize that all of your favorite things were from like a decade or more ago--music, movies, etc.

Nostalgia is strange because it doesn't matter what you were wasting your time with during your teenage and childhood years, all those activities obtain the golden patina of the irretrievable--playing GoldenEye on a small rear end TV screen while listening to The X alternative radio station in my room, or playing the MUD Dragonrealms or EverQuest, even those virtual spaces seem like lost Edens when they were just the things that burned into my brain at a vulnerable age.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

frogge posted:

Noticing my first gray hair wasn't as depressing as getting the tiniest scrape that took three weeks to fade away. RIP me. Soon all it will take is a soft breeze knocking me over to shuffle me off this mortal coil.

But then you get to start your next life, like in The Brothers Lionheart!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Yeah because obsessive parents will shove it down their throats the moment they're old enough to sit them in front of a screen.

A coworker who didn't do that but showed them the movies in order when they were older said his kids found the original ones boring but liked the prequels more.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Snowy posted:

That’s abusive, he should have raised them to be oblivious to the existence of the prequels and just let them find out later

I’m nostalgic about 80s nuclear paranoia, I might have even posted something about it already idk. But I’ve been loving the Atomic Hobo podcast lately, it’s really rekindled my interest.

eBay just started giving out $25 codes for old accounts so I spent mine on this old Swiss protest poster

I found a really well done satirical children's book about nuclear war you'd probably love. It has activities and stuff but the subject matter is super dark. For example, there's a flip book throughout that shows a family dying in the seconds after a nuclear bomb goes off.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Snowy posted:

Sounds good, what’s it called?

I was definitely given Barefoot Gen way too early but then we had graphic photo books about stuff like that, they were worse.

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/the_nuclear_war_fun_book_morbid_laffs_from_the_end_of_the_world

Has a good article about it and some pictures.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Alucard posted:

Hey guys remember back in the day when dicks worked? Nowadays dicks just don't work the way they used to.

It's true; now it stays hard forever, like an ice sculpture, pleasing no one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Goths and punks of bygone days, that's a good video for sure.