Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Honestly kids and younger adults today are awesome because they have way more interest in and appreciation for older media than I did at their ages. The only thing I find alien is the entire modern concept of fandom, shipping, kinning, etc. and even then that basically existed in the early internet and it was just something I wasn't really into.

I totally get retreating into nostalgia as a way of coping with the exhaustion and depression of living through coronavirus but as I get older I mostly find that revisiting old stuff from my youth usually leaves me disappointed. Partially because even movies from as recently as a decade ago like The Hangover are usually so full of slurs and shittiness that bring them down and partially because a lot of the mediums that I enjoy like videogames and televisions have experienced such major advancements that things that amazed me in the past come up wanting now. Even this very site, when I go through the comedy goldmine I mostly just cringe at how lovely the people in them are and how things like blackmailing your gay uncle by threatening to out him or harassing grieving parents of dead kids were seen as totally epic and lulzworthy.

It sucks having your finite supply of nostalgia shrink as you grow as a person but them's the breaks I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU