Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

I ordered a mini-14 in March. I made the mistake of using an FFL that I knew, figuring that hey, I see him at work all the time, getting my gun will be easy and he'll do it for free!

Big mistake.

After six weeks of waiting for my gun I asked him about it while I was on a call, and was told a bunch of stuff about "Well, I can't do background checks because of the pandemic". "Hmm", I thought, "that is clearly fucky, as I have purchased two other guns in the meantime and the background checks for those took five minutes". I resolved to keep pestering him when I saw him until he just went and did it.

Well, that didn't work out too well because he then got suspended from the police department he worked for after making a bunch of lovely transphobic social media posts, so I didn't see him on EMS calls anymore. And I found out that apparently there had been some ATF poo poo that went down, so it was becoming apparent "can't do background checks" was true, but the reason was more along the lines of "no longer an FFL".

Some phone calls and messages with mention of legal action and some BAFTE paperwork later, I finally have my goddamn rifle, about five months after I ordered it. Here's some photos! It's nothing special, it's a mini-14, I'm sure you've seen a ton of 'em. This one turns out to be a limited edition one with some nifty engraving. Not the kind of thing I would usually go for, but kind of a fun... well, I can't say surprise, since my medic partner ordered one off the same listing I did so I knew it was going to have it months before I got it, but it was still kind of neat.

Close up-on some of the engraving:

I had to use my foot to open the bolt. Apparently bolts sticking is relatively common with Mini-14s? Google was like "Use a rubber mallet or boot the thing".

Now to get a sling on this thing and a nice 4X holo sight. I don't really think it needs much past that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Lol, I had the same problem with the bolt locking up and needing to be booted open.

What kind of rail and sight are you planning on going with? Iím looking into a 1x reflex myself, as I donít have much opportunity for shooting past 50 yards.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Anonymous Robot posted:

Lol, I had the same problem with the bolt locking up and needing to be booted open.

What kind of rail and sight are you planning on going with? Iím looking into a 1x reflex myself, as I donít have much opportunity for shooting past 50 yards.

Have you had the trigger assembly fall out? I was out shooting with one of my friends on the 4th of July and the trigger just completely dropped out after he shot his. Apparently that's a known issue that's fixable by crimping some stuff.

I haven't looked too much into the holo sight yet since I'm still working on doing up my DP-12 and the factory sights on this seem fine. Probably going to see what I can get in the 4-5 hundred dollar range when the time comes.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

<this space left intentionally blank, will be updated later. Fuck Lowtax>
Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

That thing looks amazing. And you have a hell of a story to go along with it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Have you had the trigger assembly fall out? I was out shooting with one of my friends on the 4th of July and the trigger just completely dropped out after he shot his. Apparently that's a known issue that's fixable by crimping some stuff.

I haven't looked too much into the holo sight yet since I'm still working on doing up my DP-12 and the factory sights on this seem fine. Probably going to see what I can get in the 4-5 hundred dollar range when the time comes.

God, no! Iíd be mortified if that happened. Good to know thereís a fix.

Regarding the factory sights, Iíd considered brightening the front blade with some nail polish but now that Iím committed to putting a holo sight on it Iím not gonna bother.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Ian and Karl demonstrated the boot-clear on their M1 and I never knew about it before that. I feel like the mini would be too short for a boot-clear, and I'm not even tall.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Ian and Karl demonstrated the boot-clear on their M1 and I never knew about it before that. I feel like the mini would be too short for a boot-clear, and I'm not even tall.

I was sitting on my couch when I did it which made it a lot easier.

Anonymous Robot posted:

God, no! I’d be mortified if that happened. Good to know there’s a fix.

It was pretty crazy when it happened- you pretty much never want to hear BANG "Agh! Nobody move!" when you're out shooting. He dropped the mag and cleared it and there was no damage on inspecting the rifle, but I'm going to look at pre-emptively modifying mine so I don't have to worry about it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I like that stock way more than I expected to.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

If I owned it, I'd probably be afraid to use it lest it get damaged.

Somebody Awful fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 15, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

I usually like my guns unornamented but yeah, itís a pretty neat stock. Iím guessing that particular model didnít sell well, though, I found a flier for that run of 750 rifles with that stock and the MSRP was ~200 bucks more than I bought it for.

I might look into some kind of varnish or metal for it to avoid scuffing it up.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Nice Mini

Rather than worry about sealing your factory stock you may want to check if you can find a spare stock in a junk/parts bin at a few local shops or gunshows. Might as well try to find some spare mags while you are digging.

I have picked up a spare wood and a butler creek folding stock for my mini for $20 each. They are pretty common due to people swapping on hogue stocks/muzzlelite bullpup kits. Since you only need to pull out the trigger pack to swap stocks you can just swap it before and after you go to the range. You will end up getting carbon fouling on the forend when you shoot it and trying to clean it out of that engraving would be a pain in the rear end.

Try to only buy ruger mags unless you know your rifle isn't picky. There are a bunch of lovely pre/post 1994 AWB mags out there that were offbrand junk. Ruger mags are always marked on the floorplate with the ruger logo. The one exception being early AC556 mags that were made by cutting down 30 round Mini 14 mags to 20 rounds and using a magplate that fits into the mag and is held with springs/pins. They are marked on the side of the mag iirc. I found one in a junk bin for $10, they are somewhat rare and go for a premium over stock mags.

If your bolt sticks try using a moderately heavy application of grease everywhere the action/bolt/oprod/hammer have points of friction. I use molylube from the autoparts aisle at walmart since it's cheap. One you shoot/clean it a few times the parts should smooth out and you can use way less grease.

The only lube exception is the piston end of the op rod and the channel liner it rides in. Since all the carbon and fouling blow into that channel you want something like Teflon spray otherwise the grease and fouling will just turn into something that feels like valve grinding compound. I just use Hoppes DriLube but you can use and dry Teflon lube you find at the hardware/autoparts store.

The trigger pack shouldn't fall out unless there isn't enough bend/tension in the trigger guard. But all the minis I have seen were actually so tight that it was far more likely to not get the trigger guard seated fully and latched. It can be a bit tricky getting the action/stock/trigger mated and the latch seated the first few times so take it slow and make sure its solid. If the Trigger pack/action don't latch together I could see the TP falling out super easy.

I typed this up and googed AC556 magazine for an example pic and the first result is a YT video I dont remember making. I'll just leave the above as a TL:DW for the videos below.

Mags
https://youtu.be/sAPltO3qBTkP

I also made one with maint tips, plus some other mini videos, at the time minis were not that popular on YT and then PUBG came out and the rest is history.

Maint tips
https://youtu.be/Be_KbtvZnpc

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Honestly i wouldn' worry about damaging the stock. If you're going to drag it through the woods or run a rifle course where you roll around in gravel with the gun clutched to your chest then sure, but for typical goony range action? Nah.

I'm obsessive about my rifles. As dinged up as some of the old military stocks are I'd know in a heartbeat if I put a new one in, and I can tell you exactly which ones I caused. Hint: not many, and most of those were caused by overloading safes and having guns bump each other.

Rifle stocks are pretty durable if you don't abuse them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Regarding rails: if I want to put a reflex sight on my Mini, is there any compelling reason to go with the Ultimak rail over this when the GGG is almost a hundred bucks cheaper?

https://www.gggaz.com/mini-14-mini-...ope-mounts.html

I suppose that if I went with the Ultimak, I could also add an angled light mount without having to mess with less desirable solutions like putting a ring clamp on the barrel or whatever.