Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I'm not sure where this is going, it won't even be that funny, but it felt weird to plop in Suck Zone or whatever, hell, maybe it's an E/N post, but I feel a need to talk about processing this lovely-rear end election as a rape victim (so appropriate trigger warnings apply I guess). It's... difficult to yell at Biden supporters and call them rape enablists, even though by rights there's no difference between Biden and, say, Bill Cosby or Woody Allen or Harvey Weinstein, and the media isn't going to bat too hard for them spare Kanye for Cosby, so it's weird that I have to tolerate friends on Facebook or Twitter or whatever gush about Kamala Harris joining that wonderful Biden ticket, yaddda yadda, in a way I don't have to get jazzed about Cosby's new comedy special. I guess there was Kobe's death, that's probably the closest analogue, but, like, dude died and in a horrific way, so what stand is there supposed to take. "Man, someone should really do something about this piece of poo poo who died in a fiery helicopter crash, wait, I think that's a resolved deal." But watching Biden ascend to the presidency, it's about as bad as Kavanaugh and (nearly) Roy Moore. It makes me wonder what's up with my rapist, if he's in jail or not, I don't know, my case didn't go to trial, long story, so in theory, he could be living a happy life, drinking Big Red all day and hunting deer and hanging out at bars and chilling at friends' places, while I'm sadbrained and without insurance and unable to get proper help for myself, and hey, that's probably not the case, the dude probably is locked up because he really was all kinds of hosed in the head, but I think of Tara Reade, y'know? I think of her fear, I juxtapose it next to my own, and I think of all the cheerleaders for Biden who just ignore her fear, which by proxy ignores my own, especially when I talk about it, and you know what's the worst? That feeling of making the election about me, when so many people are being affected by this garbage, and I feel like such an rear end in a top hat, but that's the trick this satanic society does, is make you feel selfish when really you're being victim blamed, right? You're being gaslit into blaming yourself for caring about your rape, as if it's the responsibility of rape victims to support the rapist, as if we, we are failing the Democratic Party and it's just not possible for them to fail us, we cannot be failed, it's not like we've already been failed already by humanity, somehow, it's our fault, our responsibility to keep quiet, to cut out our tongues, and submit ourselves again just like we were forced to submit before, and holy poo poo do I feel like punching something, gently caress this entire country and society in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

as a survivor, I have no qualms with telling people off about their choice for Biden

that's great! you shrugged that allegation and that victim off. I guess that means everyone else is open season or as you like it, I presume?

it's definitely more that these days since having to tone down that burning white hot point inside because it was just messing me completely the gently caress up

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

yes but have you considered that there's a cheetoh in the whitehouse?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
thinking about what liberals did to Tara Reade makes me unfathomably angry, especially combined with them immediately turning around and becoming what they accused her of with the Alex Morse poo poo. none of these stories actually matter to these people, survivors don’t matter, people don’t matter. they’re all loving pawns. I can’t loving take it already on my own, I can’t even imagine how awful it must be as someone who went through it.

I am so sorry this happened to you and I hope one day you find peace.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

most of the people that i’ve spoken to usually shut up when i say that i’m not voting biden because i believe tara reade; it’s unfortunate because these same people will usually still encourage other people to vote for joe biden

i’m sorry that people don’t care about rape victims in the abstract, and i’m sorry that whatever thin veneer of decency this country had has been stripped away, but most of all i’m sorry that this is happening to you specifically, someone whom i’ve posted with for years; i feel awful all the time about how this country is going, and i can’t imagine how much worse i would feel as a survivor of sexual assault

i hope your post brings someone comfort and helps them feel like they’re not alone, and i think that your feelings are valid and that a lot of the collective succdems are being incredibly selfish in their desire for normalcy at the expense of victims, but because it’s collective selfishness, it’s framed as the greater good

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

FormaldehydeSon posted:

got dang cheetoe

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Do you want the fascism speedrun or the long-play? vote below

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I've had a much more fair life than up it, and I'm not gonna vote for any rapist

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
That scene from Watchmen where Ozymandias has tomatoes smashed in his face with the people asking if he'll stay, except it's me and people asking me if I'll vote for Biden.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
don’t boo hoo, vote

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

proof in the decorum poisoning pudding is the looks of horror you get from people when you say "i dont plan on voting for either rapist."

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
If you can tell them to go suck off Biden's dick. Then just call them a rapist, gently caress your "enabler" decorum. They are just rapists.

Then remind them that their vote is loving worthless if they don't live in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan (plus Ohio and Florida.)

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/weekly-standard/the-election-came-down-to-77-744-votes-in-pennsylvania-wisconsin-and-michigan-updated

Then remind them how they are a worthless loving hypocrites who will never loving get rid of the electoral college.
Because it allows them to fiscally rape the biggest states like California, Texas, New York, and Florida.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Electoral_College#/media/File:US_2010_Census_State_Population_Per_Electoral_Vote.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Electoral_College

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Like four days ago, I was arguing with some Biden voters online, at least some who are people I know personally, and it just got so uncomfortable for me being told my vote for a third party was worthless, as if me resisting supporting a rapist could ever be counted as worthless, and I really told my friend off, and then one of his friends jumped in near the end and said something to the effect, "Oh, I see you're dealing with trauma, but hopefully you'll heal enough one day to understand what we're trying to tell you."

And I swear to god, I laughed like I was auditioning for the joker for about five minutes after reading that, which felt good, but the days afterward, as the knowledge of how insanely arrogant liberals are that they'd say some poo poo like that, have not felt so good, have not felt so good at all.

Thanks all for the support, I really need it right now after that shitstorm.

Probably Magic has issued a correction as of 03:08 on Aug 18, 2020

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Probably Magic posted:

Like four days ago, I was arguing with some Biden voters online, at least some who are people I know personally, and it just got so uncomfortable for me being told my vote for a third party was worthless, as if me resisting supporting a rapist could ever be counted as worthless, and I really told my friend off, and then one of his friends jumped in near the end and said something to the effect, "Oh, I see you're dealing with trauma, but hopefully you'll heal enough one day to understand what we're trying to tell you."

And I swear to god, I laughed like I was auditioning for the joker for about five minutes after reading that, which felt good, but the days afterward, as the knowledge of how insanely arrogant liberals are that they'd say some poo poo like that, have not felt so good, have not felt so good at all.

I'd say it's time to sever and throw these people out of your life.
Hopefully you will have others, with working brains that you can built more rewarding relationships with.

I had what you could call an "idiot liberal" SO and I had no idea how damaging it was to my mental health until I threw her out. I mean my overall situation is deteriorating, but on the mental health front I feel that I have gotten better and been able to do more, again. These people can be incredibly toxic to be around in their ignorance and privilege and, yes, arrogance.

I still have friends that are on various points of the political spectrum, and we get along fine because none of them have this looking down at you through lazily-drooping eyelids level of condescension that basically drips from every pore with the rich liberal class.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

Probably Magic posted:

holy poo poo :murder: I want to beat those people with a shovel on your behalf

As a survivor too, I keep telling myself that its voting AGAINST trump, not voting FOR biden but the absolute despair I feel the closer November gets, just ugh. I am so sorry you’re going through all this.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

50s girl groupon posted:

holy poo poo :murder: I want to beat those people with a shovel on your behalf

As a survivor too, I keep telling myself that its voting AGAINST trump, not voting FOR biden but the absolute despair I feel the closer November gets, just ugh. I am so sorry you’re going through all this.

you know when you’re voting for Biden there’s no little box underneath to clarify you don’t like Biden, right? it’s an open endorsement of him, his politics, and his record, which, y’know, is militarizing the state to destroy black and brown lives in the millions. are you really going to logic yourself out of that reality?

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
The system is designed in such a way that one side can use the other to coerce you to vote. Voting for Biden is supporting rapists, war criminals, and the system that threatens you into voting for him while telling you it's your "duty" to do so.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Ardennes posted:

i want the long play but i don't want to debase myself

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

Taintrunner posted:

. are you really going to logic yourself out of that reality?

It’s unlikely that a third party is going to win this from what I can tell, and I’m certainly not voting for Trump so what options do we have here?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

50s girl groupon posted:

It’s unlikely that a third party is going to win this from what I can tell, and I’m certainly not voting for Trump so what options do we have here?

Your options if you don't like Trump or Biden are to vote third party, or not vote, or write-in Joementum. All of which are better than voting for Trump or Biden

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
What happened with Tara Reade is loving horrifying. Given that liberals seem to have zero actual principles other than compromising to the GOP at every turn, I can't say I'm surprised, but . . . it's hosed in so many ways.

Not being able to stomach voting for a rapist is completely valid. It's also not selfish, nor is it taking away from other people's struggles to be open about your own, to whatever degree you decide to be. It's also totally understandable to want to cave somebody's skull in for telling you that you're too damaged of a person to understand their coolly logical adult in the room decision. That poo poo is completely untrue, and it speaks volumes about just how hosed their perspective is.

That said, yeah, there are a bunch of people who are all-in on the blue-no-matter-who-unless-it's-Sanders bandwagon. The extent to which you end up being willing to put up with them is (obviously) up to you, but there's no shame in taking care of yourself and prioritizing your own needs when it comes to interactions with them (including limiting such interactions, if that's what you need). That's not selfish, either.

I imagine you know all this stuff already, but . . . hopefully it helps reading it from somebody else?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

FormaldehydeSon posted:

read this as 'cheetah in the whitehouse' and I was like, drat, who would be so cruel as to release a cheetah around donald trump

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

50s girl groupon posted:

A vote for Biden is a vote for a geriatric warmongering rapist. He is not going to win this election, Trump has already tightened the gap all the way in August, months before the election.

it would be an open endorsement of his politics and record, from the mass murder of Iraqis to his raping a woman on Capitol Hill. if you care about these issues, you cannot turn around and make an open endorsement of mass murder and rape at the ballot box.

Actions speak louder than words. you will never be able to wipe away the fact that you openly supported endless war against PoC and rape by powerful white men for the rest of your life.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

A vote for Biden is a vote for a geriatric warmongering rapist. He is not going to win this election, Trump has already tightened the gap all the way in August, months before the election.

it would be an open endorsement of his politics and record, from the mass murder of Iraqis to his raping a woman on Capitol Hill. if you care about these issues, you cannot turn around and make an open endorsement of mass murder and rape at the ballot box.

Actions speak louder than words. you will never be able to wipe away the fact that you openly supported endless war against PoC and rape by powerful white men for the rest of your life.

is voting so serious as all this

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Come hang out with us in the NoJoe thread if you're not already!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Thousands of posters are marching through the internet be very G D day, endlessly chanting NO JOE

Hell No, No No Joe

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

jarofpiss posted:

is voting so serious as all this

Depends on whether you have principles or not, I guess.

I know I still feel like poo poo for being an idiot and voting for hillary. I'm definitely not going to vote for a guy I know is a rapist, who is responsible for the murders of thousands, and who has immiserated millions and his running mate, someone who has advocated in court for literal slavery to see how that feels. A vote might be meaningless at the macro scale but I'll always know where and when I've thrown my support and from now on it won't be behind anyone I'd be ashamed to defend.

Also Probably Magic, get those awful people out of your life.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Depends on whether you have principles or not, I guess.

I know I still feel like poo poo for being an idiot and voting for hillary. I'm definitely not going to vote for a guy I know is a rapist, who is responsible for the murders of thousands, and who has immiserated millions and his running mate, someone who has advocated in court for literal slavery to see how that feels. A vote might be meaningless at the macro scale but I'll always know where and when I've thrown my support and from now on it won't be behind anyone I'd be ashamed to defend.

Also Probably Magic, get those awful people out of your life.

i think the idea that casting a vote is some kind of moral action or endorsement of policy is probably wrong. i’ve probably voted for a million downballot shitheads that i didnt know anything about just because they weren’t republicans.

i think the only reason to vote is if you think it makes tactical sense in the struggle against fascism. idk if it does or not, my opinion changes daily (mainly depending on how mad i am about the mail). i didnt vote for hillary and all i got was being able to trigger libs (possibly also a good reason to vote).

im not saying anyone should or shouldn’t vote for the lesser of old rapists but i dont think characterizing it as taking a moral stand with the candidate is right.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Tactical voting to me is a bit of a fool's errand because you're basically doing guesswork on what everyone else is voting. Like, I bet the people voting in Michigan for third party in 2016 thought they were doing so in a safe state that didn't matter. Meanwhile, in NC, even if I'd voted for Hillary, she wasn't gonna win because the results show, from my view anyway, that most of the turnout was Republican. The only Democrat who won beat a Republican unpopular in his own party. So is NC purple or one of those red states where a so-called "protest" vote doesn't matter? Like, I'm voting for Cunningham this election even though he's an empty suit because I think it would be funny if Thom Tillis ate poo poo, but thinking I'm the vote that could knock off a guy who gets elected over and over... a lot of liberals do that and it's kind-of a god complex. There's no way to know our votes matter. I guess if you live in Ohio, you can think of yourself as a reliable swing vote, but the rest of states are set in stone up until they aren't.

So it might as well be a moral stand. I've voted for losers who I groaned about and they ate poo poo and that's fine. (And voted for losers who I cheered for, hi Obama!) As I said in D&D, all voting ends up being compromise because our candidates are not 1-to-1 for us on each issue. But the fact we select options at all shows discrimination. So you might as well vote on morals while keeping in mind that voting, like consumption, can't be ethical in a capitalist society. For me, that just means figuring out a line in the sand. Biden has crossed multiple lines in the sand for me. He's not mentally fit to be president. He got people killed with his actions during the plague primaries. And yeah, he's a rapist. Like, the question I think any voter has to ask is, "Where is the line for me?" And if you can answer it and it's something like, "Bloomberg, I wouldn't vote for Bloomberg, but Biden is still okay," then alright. You at least have asserted your identity, re-affirmed your morality, made your voice actually matter. What I see from a lot of Blue No Matter Who people is a suspension of all critical thinking though, that there is no line and even excessive pillorying (just as in the last election) about holding on to useless principles. Except they're not useless. People will die for their principles. That's the entire point of martyrdom. To say that the Democrat Party as an aesthetic institution, not even an ideological enterprise (because there is none), warrants more loyalty than, well, faith or ethics... we know where that leads. The Catholic Church sex scandals. Hollywood sex scandals. The Patriot Act amidst the war on terror panic. The War on Terror in general. It breeds an atmosphere of corruption.

But I agree somewhat with jarofpiss in that, if someone votes for Biden, who the gently caress cares. They voted in a panic, and my sympathies lie with them. It's a hard, nearly impossible choice, with a lot of hostages involved. I empathize with 50 girls groupon feeling hopeless about their options. I'm not going to yell at every Biden voter who feels like they have no choice. It's the people in my life and elsewhere who yell that I don't have a choice, that anyone who doesn't vote their way is an immoral creature, that I have lost any and all patience for. I'm about to delete every single person I ever went to college with, because holy loving poo poo am I tired of the sanctimony.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Hey, sorry you don't currently have your gangtag. I'm talking to some mods to try and see what the deal is.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Jewel Repetition posted:

Hey, sorry you don't currently have your gangtag. I'm talking to some mods to try and see what the deal is.

twoday just put a bunch in through, and probably will be again shortly since they're missing a closing bracket. might want to contact them.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I did have one and then some rear end in a top hat in D&D bought me a Trump supporter av and I had to hurriedly replace it, is what it is. But thanks all. The responses here have buoyed my feelings.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Probably Magic posted:

I did have one and then some rear end in a top hat in D&D bought me a Trump supporter av and I had to hurriedly replace it, is what it is. But thanks all. The responses here have buoyed my feelings.

PM Squizzle or Twoday next time, they'll do it for free.

But anyways I appreciate your posting and it's sadly really hosed up and yes sever those assholes

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Probably Magic posted:

I am glad about that. I totally understand how you feel. You are not alone.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ardennes posted:

I think I'd prefer the speedrun tbh.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
gently caress rapey ol' Joe, and if NJ somehow doesn't swing blue and my lack of a vote for Biden ends up mattering, idgaf. Not like that's gonna happen anyway. Gonna vote in the locals, leave the presidential bullshit blank.

And gently caress people who vote blue "no matter what," what a crock of self-righteous bullshit.

Goddamn, what a shitshow all of this is

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
Florida is going to swing red anyways, it always does, so all my handwringing about throwing away my vote doesn’t really matter anyways does it? I believe Tara Reade, and I doubt I could live with going “yeah but I voted for him anyways because muh votes”

A lot of my in-laws and coworkers are blue no matter who so I’ve got the excuse of “I’m immunocompromised I had to stay home whoops” because I will start swinging if I have to hear some mealy mouthed “but muh votes” from them

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i thought about it a while today and im convinced trump is a bad man and i won’t be voting for him. i still haven’t figured out what biden is offering me for my vote so i don’t think i will be voting for him until he makes that more clear. trump gave me $1200 and bernie wanted to give me healthcare but biden doesn’t seem to want to give me anything so i will probably not go vote for that man.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

Hey just dropping in to say I believe Tara Reade and I believe you and gently caress idiots moralizing about your obligation to vote for a warmongering rapist. Wait that doesn't actually narrow it down does it? I try to use my cismalehetwhite privilege to complain about how dumb it is to not have major candidate that isn't a rapist in all kinds of inappropriate company and its pretty funny to see libs freak out about it, even if it is cold comfort.

I hope you're doing ok. You are valid. Your feelings are valid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

TehSaurus posted:

Hey just dropping in to say I believe Tara Reade and I believe you and gently caress idiots moralizing about your obligation to vote for a warmongering rapist. Wait that doesn't actually narrow it down does it? I try to use my cismalehetwhite privilege to complain about how dumb it is to not have major candidate that isn't a rapist in all kinds of inappropriate company and its pretty funny to see libs freak out about it, even if it is cold comfort.

I hope you're doing ok. You are valid. Your feelings are valid.

You seen this? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916038