Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

In October of 2015, popular BYOB8.2 poster dogcrash truther created a hilarious text adventure game featuring plenty of BYOB memes. The game is called Spooky and has text written by dogcrash truther, fluffieduckie, social vegan, and dave. It is an interactive fiction videogame, meaning that you play the game entirely by reading and writing text - so to go north, you have to type "go north" (or simply "n" for short).

This game has been lost for 5 years, but thanks to the help of Fluffieduckie, has now been recovered! Click here to download: http://www.filedropper.com/spooky_1

To play it, you will need a program that reads gblorb files. The program recommended by dct is Glulxe, which can be downloaded here: http://www.davidkinder.co.uk/glulxe.html

MAJOR thanks go out to everyone who worked on making this game, and especially to Fluffieduckie for helping track the game down!

This thread will be for discussions of this game as we play it and try to beat it. Please put tips and solutions behind spoiler tags, but if you just want to share things like screenshots unspoilered, that's fine. As far as I know, this game has never been beaten by anyone other than the developers, so we'll need to put our thinking caps on and see what we can come up with! (And if worst comes to worst, I have a *secret* *hints* *document* from dct himself, to consult if we run out of ideas.)

So all that being said, prepare yourself for a spookyyy.... timee....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

If you've never played interactive fiction before, it can be a bit daunting. Here are some tips about common commands:

I would also mention that the commands QUIT, UNDO, SAVE, RESTART, and RESTORE do what you'd expect they would do!

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Pot Smoke Phoenix

It's not as bad as it looks

ANOTHER BYOB SUCCESS STORY!

Plant MONSTER.

you owe your life to plants. think about it.

be grateful.

i died three timeS!

shout outs to khanstant for the beautiful signature make sure to "like" and "subscribe"

blaise rascal

Plant MONSTER. posted:

i died three timeS!
it's a hard game!!!

cda

Plant MONSTER. posted:

i died three timeS!

Post screenshots of your deaths and at least we will learn what not to do!

Manifisto

installing now. I am now installing the virus that you are encouraging me to install. when my pc dies and my hidden stash of golden girls nudes is revealed to the world I know who(m) to blame.

amazing sigs courtesy of cda, vanisher, and luvcow

Plant MONSTER.

you owe your life to plants. think about it.

be grateful.

cda posted:

Post screenshots of your deaths and at least we will learn what not to do!

They're pretty easy death, like trying to go past Tony Hawk, getting eaten by Zombie Grandpa and the other death was cobra venom at the ziggurat

shout outs to khanstant for the beautiful signature make sure to "like" and "subscribe"

cda

does anyone know what to do with the spider. i have found some things not to do with the spider

sig by vanisher

cda

actually all the animals in these dumb woods appear to be jerks

sig by vanisher

cda

moterhfucker. be kind to animals is the message i guess

sig by vanisher

awkwerd paws

God Says That Mean People Never Live...

But Then Again I guess He Was Wrong Cause...
You Still ALIVE ...
> BOP it

scrub lover/pseriflagt+cat prof guy on sigs tia凸[◣_◢]凸 2020 retard . Pls unban Anne frank fanfic ok thanx

watho
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

i miss dct so much i hope they’ll return once lowtax is out of the picture

thank u vanisher for the sig

cda

this game is bullshit!

sig by vanisher

blaise rascal

cda posted:

moterhfucker. be kind to animals is the message i guess

lol, I wouldn't have thought to try that command. I think that this game has lots of content that is kind of hidden away, and I hope as much of it as possible comes to light and gets shared in this thread!

Working on a map, because i can never get my bearings in these games. It's 3D so I can practice blender and also because sometimes you have to go up and down!!

this area description is so great, haha

blaise rascal

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 15, 2020

blaise rascal

If you are reading this dct, thank you for making and sharing this game

cda

lol...considering all of the different animals that kill you it's kind of unfair that you have to provoke the owl into giving you the poo poo when all the evidence says it's just going to kill you

sig by vanisher

cda

blaise rascal posted:

lol, I wouldn't have thought to try that command. I think that this game has lots of content that is kind of hidden away, and I hope as much of it as possible comes to light and gets shared in this thread!

Working on a map, because i can never get my bearings in these games. It's 3D so I can practice blender and also because sometimes you have to go up and down!!

this area description is so great, haha

west of nanapa valley is your grandparents house and west of that APPARWENTLY is the kitchen but i can't get into it wijtout zombie grandpa loving me up, and down is darkness which turns into the basement once you use the lighter to make some light

sig by vanisher

blaise rascal

This post will be about how far I've gotten!

Current map:

Not pictured is the dungeon beneath the castle, and the upper layer of the ziggurat. Also the bog is probably more complicated that I drew it here.

Current inventory:

a BSDD (I don't want to spoil what this stands for)
nugs
a baggie
a skeleton thumb
a skeleton pinky finger
a skeleton ring finger
a skeleton middle finger
a skeleton pointer finger
a scrap of paper

Here are some of the things I've discovered:
-If you examine the statues in the castle you can get a paper with the word: NDUDN
-Three things of interest are in the swamp: a skeleton hand whose fingers you can steal, the boggyman, and a corpse, which when examined yields a paper and a skateboard
-In suburbia you can give the skateboard to tony hawk to get him to leave, unlocking new areas
-Uh, you can take the owl and examine it a bunch, and find a guy in the dungeon under a castle by examining a cell, and it will lead to an unexpected scene
-I swear, when I played this 5 years ago, I found a way to get into the Winchester Mystery House. Now I can't remember

At this point I'm running out of ideas of things to try. If anyone else wants to contribute something I've missed, I'm all ears! And if not, it may soon be time to consult the secret hints document

blaise rascal

Okay, cda is probated so he can't post, BUT he sent me something he discovered: if you search the couch in your grandparent's house, you get the lighter which you can then use both in the dark room just down from the living room, and also to gain access to the normal house in the suburbs. Time to investigate further...

blaise rascal

UPDATE: THERE'S ANOTHER GAME!

I just checked my SA email for the first time in weeks, and it turns out that fluffieduckie was able to recover a second game by dct! This game is called The Girls Who gently caress For Free. Click here to download: http://www.filedropper.com/thegirlswhofuckforfree
Apparently this game is much easier than the other one.
|

e: Uh, I just played this game, and I wonder; is there a way not to die? Hmmm

Lmao, dct is trolling me from 5 years ago

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 28, 2020

blaise rascal

Goddamn I feel like I'm CLOSE. In any case, here is DCT's hints document:

dct posted:

this game is pretty hard and mostly its hard on purpose but a few of thing things are harder than i meant them to be so if you find yourself getting stuck then welcome to this document you big fuckin cheater i hope you feel good about yourself. you like hints do you? you LOVE them. you LOVE hints you little hint piggie! yum yum for hinties!

ok here are the hints. the first hint is CHECK THE COUCH everyone forgets to check the couch. thats where the most imopiortant thing is. the second hint is A HOUSE (or MANSION) has walls, floors, and ceilings so fuckin LOOK at them and also just generally make sure to LOOK a lot at mysterious houses and their mysteruious hallways or you will MISS AN IMPORTANT THING YOU NEED. ok, are u ready for hint number FOUR? when you smoke weed you should WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING YOU THINK because it might be funny or something and if you dont do it youll probably forget it later. if you read this far CONGRATULATIONS you have been CURSED FOR ETERNITY with the LOVE OF DOGRCRASH TRUTHER here is a little friend square for you [] touching, always - dct

My heart is warmed by this document's sentiment, but my blood is boiled by this document's lack-of-beating-the-game-for-me

Here is my inventory at this point:
Chekov's Gun
Playboy June 1969
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl Edition Kraft Macaroni
a bullet
a Roach Brooch (being worn)
a small glass key
nugs
a Girls Who gently caress For Free
a heap of junk
a pile of refuse
scattered trash
a lighter
a baggie (open but empty)
a skeleton thumb
a skeleton pinky finger
a skeleton ring finger
a skeleton middle finger
a scrap of paper

I cannot progress in this game because I cannot figure out:
-how to move the bart simpson steampunk bong out of the basement!!!
-Don't know what to do with the macaroni
-don't know how to unlock the iron gate
-don't know the password for the cobra
-other various items i don't know what to do with

Still though, this game has really made me laugh out loud on several occasions. As soon as I beat the game, I plan to upload a screenshot LP so you all may enjoy the prose, BUT i can't do that until I figure out how to win!!!!! In the meantime here is a teaser

cda

blaise rascal posted:

Goddamn I feel like I'm CLOSE. In any case, here is DCT's hints document:

My heart is warmed by this document's sentiment, but my blood is boiled by this document's lack-of-beating-the-game-for-me

Here is my inventory at this point:
Chekov's Gun
Playboy June 1969
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl Edition Kraft Macaroni
a bullet
a Roach Brooch (being worn)
a small glass key
nugs
a Girls Who gently caress For Free
a heap of junk
a pile of refuse
scattered trash
a lighter
a baggie (open but empty)
a skeleton thumb
a skeleton pinky finger
a skeleton ring finger
a skeleton middle finger
a scrap of paper

I cannot progress in this game because I cannot figure out:
-how to move the bart simpson steampunk bong out of the basement!!!
-Don't know what to do with the macaroni
-don't know how to unlock the iron gate
-don't know the password for the cobra
-other various items i don't know what to do with

Still though, this game has really made me laugh out loud on several occasions. As soon as I beat the game, I plan to upload a screenshot LP so you all may enjoy the prose, BUT i can't do that until I figure out how to win!!!!! In the meantime here is a teaser

dude...you got to clean up the basement bro, it's what your grandpa would have wanted. if the only problem you're having is the bs bong you're so much farther than me, I don't even know where you got that gun from let alone how to get it. Oh, also I do not know how to unlock the iron gate either

sig by vanisher

cda

wait...now that i'm looking at your inventory, you can pick up the trash/refuse/junk etc.? that would make sense but what i did was, like, >tidy junk or something like that. can't remember the exact verb i used and i'm not at the computer that has the game on it but i can check later

sig by vanisher

cda

bump

sig by vanisher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

I really want to finish this, and I think you may have given me the missing puzzle piece in your last post! i've been busy with other projects, but hope i get around to this tonight