Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Having read both books, all y'all trying to figure out motives from the first eight chapters are totally boned, pun entirely intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I made a general discussion thread for the series for those that have already read GtN and want to talk about the sequel that just came out without posting spoilers in here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937069

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

awesmoe posted:

i've read the books so cant participate but just saying that I'm really enjoying the speculation that's going on so keep on :justpost: everyone

It’s fun to see people guess some stuff right but also go down completely wrong tracks on other things.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Foxfire_ posted:

Magnus and Abigail aren't teeth. They're tiny bits of bone from different sources and Palamedes is cut off before he can say what that implies. Harrow's pod isn't teeth either, it's one single piece of shaped bone that dissolves into chips and pebbles (which Palamedes finds fascinating for some reason). The one other place we have seen lots of teeth is in Dulcinea's ward outside avulsion, which was a spiral of teeth
The reason Palamedes finds the bone chips impressive is just that they're so small; he's impressed that the Ninth house is able to form large bone constructs from such small starting points. Harrow is exceedingly Good At Bones, it's the Ninth House specialty.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Ianthe is such a colossal dick. Look forward to enjoying / hating them even more in book 2.

On her tumblr, Tamsyn Muir responded to a fan question a while back that was basically "who if anyone would have succeeded in becoming a Lyctor if not for all of Cytherea's bullshit throwing a spanner in the works?" and her answer was Ianthe and absolutely no one else.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Speaking of Taz Muir's blog, she posted a pronunciation guide (an expanded version of which also shows up at the end of the Kindle edition now) and am I the only person who mentally pronounced it Sigh-THEER-ee-ah rather than KITH-er-AY-ah? I'm obviously not up on my Greek mythology.

And speaking of Greek mythology:

Steely Glint posted:

Protesilaus shares his name with the first Greek to die in the Trojan War. I desperately want this to be deliberate, and he can only be the first person to die in Gideon if he was ~dead all along~ :spooky:
^^Well-spotted.

Tamsyn Muir posted:

Prot-eh-sil-OW-us. "Prot" rather than "prote."
EBB-do-mah. "Ebb" as in what the tide does, "doma" as in "domain".
Note: Protesilaus is the first hero to die at Troy. He is also the first man who dies as a result of the Lyctor trials. "Johnny Quickdeath" would've also been a good pick.

All the back-matter at the end of the Kindle edition is worth reading btw.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Foxfire_ posted:

- Why was Naberius upset that Corona was sparring with Gideon? I guess Corona is still possibly sequel relevant (assuming all of Gideon's birth/powers are sequel fodder)

My interpretation of that was that Babs is in on the con of Corona not actually being a Necromancer and was worried about her giving it away.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Steely Glint posted:

The closed room being solved with Lyctor superpowers was quite disappointing, I'll admit. Still overall good enough to binge through the sequel and leave me stuck waiting until 2021 for Alecto :smith:

Harrow isn't very much like Gideon. It does contain mysteries but the focus of the book is elsewhere.

The central mystery of Harrow the Ninth is “why are half these chapters in second person, why do these flashbacks make no sense, what the gently caress is even going on here wait how does the River work again ow my brain hurts”

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I really liked Harrow the Ninth but I wasn’t sure I was going to until about 2/3 of the way through when stuff started to make sense and it became more obvious it was actually going somewhere interesting. It’s a wild ride. Try not to get spoiled on it because there are some twists that are fun to figure out.

There are even clues (some much more obvious than others) in the completely buck-wild Dramatis Personae at the beginning.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
regular Tamsyn Muir discussion thread is over here. Spoiler tags encouraged please.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 8, 2020