Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
To be fair Aang was thrust into a world war before he was even hitting puberty and had to learn everything on the run, while Korra was raised in a gilded cage with little idea of what the outside world was actually like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Korra was raised in a gilded cage with little idea of what the outside world was actually like.

https://nitter.net/Merman_Melville/status/1088527693757349888#m

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Is there any more news on the live action show?

I remember a bunch of headshots going around a year ago, but nothing since then.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Is there any more news on the live action show?

I remember a bunch of headshots going around a year ago, but nothing since then.

Production and filming began in Vancouver, British Columbia on November 16, 2021, and is expected to last until mid-June 2022, under the working title Trade Winds and Blue Dawn.[18][23][5][24][25] Stewart Whelan serves as a cinematographer.[26]

From wiki. So i'd expect to start seeing more stuff towards the end of the year maybe

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Paul.Power posted:

I feel like something I ought to mention about The Promise (and subsequent comics too, but especially The Promise) that I've seen a lot of summaries gloss over is that I hope the reader likes *checks notes* Kataang. I mean, cards on the table I'm definitely a fan of it (people were posting their ships upthread, right? :v: ) so from my point of view it's enjoyable and they make a cute couple, but even I think there's one or two jarring bits, most notably their choice of pet name for each other, "Sweetie". Which... I don't mind on general principle, it's maybe a bit old-fashioned but hey, this is a world of industrial revolution nations alongside feudal ones for entirely sound reasons so whatever. And we do kinda see in subsequent comics that Aang and Katara can both be a bit traditional at times - of course they both have a "last of their kind" vibe going on, which makes them more concerned about preserving the past compared with the more forward-thinking Sokka and Toph. The actual problem I have with "Sweetie" is that if I recall correctly that was Katara's mum's pet name for her. Which um... if that's deliberate then uh.... ?????. So you know, forwarned is forearmed. Their relationship mellows a bit over the course of the comics, which I feel like is them going from "puppy love" to something more steady, but they are particularly lovey-dovey in The Promise.
After some thought I think I'm seeing some more of the reasoning behind "Sweetie". In The Guru we're given the idea that the grief of losing those we love is reborn in new love, and we get explicitly shown this via the medium of weird clouds with Aang's love for the Air Nomads being reborn as love for Katara. We're never shown Katara's internal mental state on this, but you could reasonably apply some symmetry to get the idea that her love for her mother is being reborn as love for Aang. And that kinda brings us to "Sweetie", as something of an echo of Kya. I can only assume it's Katara's idea, since the word has a far more specific meaning to her than it does to Aang.

Now let's face it, Katara does still have some motherly feelings towards Aang, so there's a straightforwardness to her calling Aang "Sweetie" - a weird one from a traditional romance perspective, but you know what, sure. But it is interesting that the pet name is reciprocal, and I'm guessing that's probably because Aang has that capacity to make Katara feel like a kid again - from the penguin sledding in the first episode, to their dance number in The Headband. And we do see from The Runaway the desire to recapture that lost childhood from that "one last job" plan she proposes to Toph. With the war finally over, and at least some closure from The Southern Raiders, Katara finally has the chance to not have to be everyone's mother all the time and take some time to be a kid again. And perhaps that's why Aang calls her "Sweetie" too.

Maybe I'm daft to be spending so much time thinking about this, but see previous comment about this world living rent-free in my head now :v:. I think it's definitely interesting that "Sweetie" is dropped completely in Imbalance - from a Doylist perspective, it's kinda obvious that new comic writer Faith Erin Hicks wanted to move Aang and Katara's relationship in a more emotionally mature direction compared with Gene Luen Yang (they also don't kiss "on panel" in the comic, instead going to that ol' standby of holding hands at significant moments). From a Watsonian perspective, we do see Katara find more closure on her mother at the end of North and South, and a few months seem to have passed between then and Imbalance, so maybe she and Aang just quietly decided to drop "Sweetie" at some point - it had served its purpose.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Aang and Katara do strike me as the type to take a while to figure out their whole deal after the whole war, given they've spent a lot of time together and clearly have the feelings but also got absolutely epic amounts of baggage to deal with from it.

Also still say Zuko's coronation does end up looking kinda like a wedding.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I still think Suyin is Sokka's daughter.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://deadline.com/2022/06/three-new-animated-avatar-films-in-works-lauren-montgomery-to-direct-first-1235046035/

Didn't know this. They got the original creators at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

And the director has directed Avatar episodes before. As well as some other good animated shows.