Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Problem description: When I start my desktop computer the fans and LEDs run, but I have no display and the red DRAM LED lights up. The computer does not boot or post.

Attempted fixes: I have double checked to make sure that my RAM is compatible with the new motherboard. I have made sure that the RAM is in the recommended slots, 2 & 4. I have attempted to start the computer with RAM in the following configurations: Slot 1 only, Slot 2 only, Slot 1 & 3, and all of the above with the sticks switched. I have cleared the CMOS by shorting the CLR_CMOS pins with a screwdriver. I have removed the SSD (it worked for someone online?). None of the above has had an effect on the problem. I'm fine with replacing the RAM with something newer if that's the problem, but I don't want to do it if the issue is somewhere else.

Recent changes: I recently replaced the motherboard and PSU on my desktop to fix a CPU debug LED lighting up. That problem is solved, as far as I can tell.

--

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs:
AMD RYZEN 7 2700X
GeForce RTX 2060
GIGABYTE B550 AORUS PRO AC
2 TB platter drive w/Windows 10 partition (can't find the product ID, sorry)
Intel SSD 660P Series 1 TB
2 x Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DRAM 2400MHz
EVGA Supernova 750 GS

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

My thanks in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Update: I got new, compatible RAM and had the same problem. Attempted a qflash update to the bios which also failed. Finally ordered a new CPU with a generous return policy, going to try out some other tricks but at this point I've almost bought an entire new computer.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I do not own a computer. I own a space heater that converts money to tension headaches

HOWEVER after a week and a half of daily attempts to fix the drat thing I finally have a working machine and narrowed the failed components down to the PSU, CPU, AND Mobo. So like $600 down the drain on parts that were barely a year old. At least the journey was sort of fun. Thank you all for pondering my bullshit.