Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As cliche as holodecks and their malfunctions can be, they're a common sci-fi thing for a reason. Aside from having all the plot hooks you'd expect, they can tell you a lot about a character and the setting and culture they live in if done well. For that matter, so can other forms of in-universe entertainment and pop culture.

Deep Space Nine of course probably had some of the best treatments. Bashir and O'Brien getting into the Alamo was maybe a little underused; obviously Worf isn't necessarily interested because he's already grown up in Earth culture, but one of the other Klingons might have found the last stand scenario interesting. Cultural confusion can be really fun like that, like the abortive Camelot one where Kira socked Lancelot in the face because her character was a married woman.

And Vic Fontaine is an interesting case, being a self-aware hologram character who basically acts as a host for a program that's mostly light entertainment with a touch of adventure. He comes off as something like a Dungeon Master character, aware of the 'fourth wall' and able to distinguish issues inside and outside the program, and possibly an attempt to avert a scenario like Moriarty or Doctor Chaotica where an antagonist takes things too far; as demonstrated when after helping Nog literally get back on his feet, he cuts him off cold turkey when he's obviously holo-addicted.

Also feel that given Q pulled the 'turn a Holodeck program real' thing once for giggles, there's some missed opportunity for some more direct comparison to be drawn for his puzzle and test scenarios and the ones that people make as programs. Maybe have Q loitering around and notice someone making a holodeck program, and find the process amusingly meta. (and maybe giving him ideas to inflict on the command crew) My Little Pony of all things did something like that with basically-Q playing in a session of not-Dungeons and Dragons. (Meta in a few ways given the show is owned by the same people who own Dungeons and Dragons, and in-universe he's playing with an actual literal dragon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Comes to mind when Bashir and Garak discuss one of the Cardassian literature forms, the Repetitive Epic, where characters live selfless lives in service to the state, and then the next generation comes along to do it all over again.

With the current plague of reboots, sequels, remakes and new-generation sequels, that really starts to feel familiar.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

We are given all but explicit onscreen confirmation that yes, yes they did

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I like in TNG Manhunt where Picard just wants to cosplay as Dixon Hill and soak in the ambience of 1930s Chicago, but the computer keeps throwing heavies at him because the game's designed for someone who wants to trade barbs and dodge bullets from angry gangsters.

IIRC it's based on Raymond Chandler novels that are specifically written with the rule of 'If the story's slowing down, have someone burst in with a gun'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's not pointed out, but is funny that in the infamous Moriarty episode, Data plays Sherlock Holmes wearing his stereotypical deerstalker outfit- which he did wear once canonically, but only in actual appropriate settings for it when going out to the country. Later on where Moriarty loses interest in Data, Picard puts on an accurate Sherlock Holmes costume, with the silk top hat and matching suit that would be turn of the century London wear.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

I'd want to use the holodeck to have a gods eye view of some major battle and try my hand at seeing what happens if you change something. Sorta like Total Realistic Battle Simulator but unlimited freedom.

Computer, create the battle of Waterloo, but Napoleon does not send Martial Nay to chase the Prussians.

Or better yet, just play Warhammer 40k or Age of Sigmar but the miniatures are real tiny holographic people.

Lol if you don't start stepping on them and roaring

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

EU stuff has established that cadets have done more or less everything imaginable in the Kobayashi Maru test, and occasionally some of it works.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

The Kaiju program is also one I'd want.

"Computer, generate Tokyo, circa 1974, create a Gamera for me to fight and create me a Godzilla Suit"
"Error, Toho has blocked this program from being run"
"Dammit."

I forgot what episode, but i think it was during the second season? I know there is a party in season 1. I know they had disco branded popcorn holders.

It was season three, and looks like it happened on Enterprise on the reg
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Movie_night
The list of films is pretty good, though its hilarious how the most modern one they show is Rosemary's baby.

I've said this many times, i always laugh at Star Trek's reluctance to admit any media exists past the middle of the 20th century. Its not like Paramount didn't make a ton of films and tv shows that they could probably easily use. The writers on TNG probably thought "smart people just listen to Mozart and watch Shakespeare right? Only a wild outsider would like Jazz or Mickey Spillane style detective stuff. " I think they felt that the crew of the Enterprise-D was basically a bunch of college classics professors who happened to be in the military.

Not far off really. But the DS9 writers did get in trouble for spoofing Bond a little too closely, so I imagine they don't want to treat on any copyright toes. (especially given how copyright works rights are always all over the place, see also the trouble they got in with the Arthur Conan Doyle estate)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's actually a mention in DS9 apparently where there's not a lot more new human culture being made when everyone's gotten into translating alien media. See Garak and Bashir's interspecies cultural exchange.

Voyager at least tried a bit with Flotter T Water.