Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

West 1st Round: Lakers vs. Blazers
West 1st Round: Clippers vs. Mavericks
West 1st Round: Nuggets vs. Jazz
West 1st Round: Rockets vs. Thunder
East 1st Round: Bucks vs. Magic
East 1st Round: Raptors vs. Nets
East 1st Round: Celtics vs. 76ers
East 1st Round: Pacers vs. Heat

Here we go. Against all odds, we have NBA playoffs.

Who you got? How many games is each one going? What matchups are you looking forward to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Only thing that matters is okc in 5

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Lakers in 6. The Blazers looked tired today. If CJ is having an off day Portland will drop the game it happens in easy. Dame is going to be Dame, but I don't know if it's enough for an entire series.

Clippers in 5. Clippers are too deep. Clippers are going to be throwing everything at Luka and just wear him down.

Nuggets in 4. No Bojan, no Jazz win. I wouldn't be surprised if Mitchell steals a game for a gentleman's sweep, but going with 4 games.

Rockets in 7? gently caress this is tough. Thunder are hard to pick against right now. Maybe Harden just goes hambone and makes this a nothing series. If Westbrook was there I'd be more confident in my pick.

Bucks in 4. I don't even think the Magic come close to stealing a game. Giannis uses it as a warmup.

Raptors in 4. Sorry Levert. Next year though...

Celtics in 6. 76ers are such a clusterfuck, but they have those games where it just clicks so I think they win 2.

Heat in 7. This hurts. I have no idea what Pacers team is going to show up game to game. If TJ Warren keeps rolling, Dipo can play 2nd option, and Myles Turner looks like he cares, I can see Pacers taking this instead.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Athanatos posted:

LAL in 6
LAC in 5
DEN in 6
HOU in 7

MIL in 4
TOR in 5
BOS in 6
IND in 7

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Lakers in 4.
Clips in 6. Kristaps Porzingis
Nuggets in 4.
Rockets in 6. CP goes down
Bucks in 5. Magic steals one
Raptors in 5.
Sixers in 7❗️Celtics stumble
Heat in 7.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Lakers in 6

Clippers in 5

Nuggets in 5

Rockets in 6

Bucks in 5

Raptors in 4

Celtics in 6

Heat in 7

Blazers have a shot if Dame keeps being Dame and one of CJ, Trent, and Melo steps up every night. That seems unlikely based on how much making the playoffs seems to have taken out of them.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Lakers vs. Blazers
Lakers in 6

Clippers vs. Mavericks
Clippers in 4

Nuggets vs. Jazz
Nuggies in 5

Rockets vs. Thunder
Thunder in 5, god i hope the thunder win this

Bucks vs. Magic
Bucks in 5

Raptors vs. Nets
Raptors in 5

Celtics vs. 76ers
Celtics in 5, but god twitter would own for a week if the sixers won SIXERS IN 7

Pacers vs. Heat
heat in 4

edit: gently caress it, i'm not a coward

Katana_Warrior fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 16, 2020

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Portland in 7
Mavs in 6
Nuggets in 6
Thunder in 7

Bucks in 4
Raps in 4
Celtics in 5
Heat in 5

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Lakers in 5
Thunder in 7
Nuggets in 6
Clippers in 6

Bucks in 4
Heat in 5
Celtics in 5
Raptors in 6

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Lakers in 5
Rockets in 7
Nuggets in 6
Clippers in 5

Bucks in 4
Heat in 7
Celtics in 6
Raptors in 5

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Lakers in 6

Mavericks in 6

Nuggets in 5

OKC in 6

Bucks in 4

Raptors in 4

Celtics in 5

Heat in 5

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Lakers in 7
Clippers in 7
Nuggets in 6
Was gonna say Thunder in 6 but gonna do my fellow Titans fan a favor and say Thunder in 5

Buck in 5
Raptors in 4
Sixers in 7
Heat in 6

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Finals are going to be Bucks/Clippers, that's all I know.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Blazers in 6
Rockets in 5
Clippers in 5
Jazz in 6

Bucks in 5
Heat in 6
Celtics in 4
Raptors in 6

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Lakers in 6
Thunder in 6
Denver in 6
Clippers in 6

Bucks in 6
Pacers in 6
Celtics in 5
Raptors in 5

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Blazers in 6
Thunder in 5
Denver in 6
Mavs in 7

Bucks in 4
Pacers in 7
Celtics in 5
Raptors in 5

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
How the Lakers win: Defense, lots of defense. Either get the ball out of Dames's hands, or make sure it's only in his hands and no one else gets going. Make above 20% frees.
How the Blazers win: Threes, threes and more threes. Trade twos for threes. Lure the Lakers into shooting threes. Get stops in the clutch of close games. Get something from other people in addition to what they get from Dame.

How the Clippers win: Execute their normal play. Paul George brings it. Get enough bench play to keep the games in control or shorten the rotation. Or conversely just get Doncic into foul trouble.
How the Mavs win: Make Paul George frustrated. Take advantage of Porizingis. Doncic hits threes. Bench outplays Clippers bench. Win some close games.

How Nuggets Win: Overwhelm Utah with depth. Keep Murray on a short leash.
How Utah Wins: Get over habit if long scoring droughts. Hit eject on Jordan Clarkson time when it goes south. Gobert makes Jokic work hard.

How Rockets Win: Just do what they do and James Harden doesn't turn into a pumpkin.
How Thunder Win: Good shot selection, take advantage of second chance opportunities, don't get caught up in weird anti-Harden gimmicks.

How the Bucks Win: Just play their normal game.
How The Magic Win: Get Giannis to lose his cool. Hope that the general lack of execution for the Bucks during a lot of the bubble is a real thing and opens some holes for them to get through.

How the Raptors Win: Limit habit of long scoreless droughts. Don't depend on the Nets going away on their own.
How the Nets Win: Keep constant pressure on the Raptors on the offensive end, Lavert goes god mode.

How the Celtics Win: Play a team game, no Tatum or Jaylen Brown takeover games gone wrong. Don't get dragged into an emotional quagmire by Embiid.
How the 76ers Win: Absolute dominance on both ends by Embiid. Actually make those threes that he insists on taking. Tobias Harris and Josh Richardson outplay their matchups.

How the Pacers Win: TJ Warren is bubble TJ Warren. Myles Turner strongly outplays Bam. Slow down the game. Get something from Oladiplo if he's on the floor.
How the Heat Win: Jimmy Butler "This Time It's Personal" games all series long. Speed up the game. Make TJ Warren doubt himself.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

Rick posted:

How the Lakers win: Defense, lots of defense. Either get the ball out of Dames's hands, or make sure it's only in his hands and no one else gets going. Make above 20% frees.
How the Blazers win: Threes, threes and more threes. Trade twos for threes. Lure the Lakers into shooting threes. Get stops in the clutch of close games. Get something from other people in addition to what they get from Dame.

How the Clippers win: Execute their normal play. Paul George brings it. Get enough bench play to keep the games in control or shorten the rotation. Or conversely just get Doncic into foul trouble.
How the Mavs win: Make Paul George frustrated. Take advantage of Porizingis. Doncic hits threes. Bench outplays Clippers bench. Win some close games.

How Nuggets Win: Overwhelm Utah with depth. Keep Murray on a short leash.
How Utah Wins: Get over habit if long scoring droughts. Hit eject on Jordan Clarkson time when it goes south. Gobert makes Jokic work hard.

How Rockets Win: Just do what they do and James Harden doesn't turn into a pumpkin.
How Thunder Win: Good shot selection, take advantage of second chance opportunities, don't get caught up in weird anti-Harden gimmicks.

How the Bucks Win: Just play their normal game.
How The Magic Win: Get Giannis to lose his cool. Hope that the general lack of execution for the Bucks during a lot of the bubble is a real thing and opens some holes for them to get through.

How the Raptors Win: Limit habit of long scoreless droughts. Don't depend on the Nets going away on their own.
How the Nets Win: Keep constant pressure on the Raptors on the offensive end, Lavert goes god mode.

How the Celtics Win: Play a team game, no Tatum or Jaylen Brown takeover games gone wrong. Don't get dragged into an emotional quagmire by Embiid.
How the 76ers Win: Absolute dominance on both ends by Embiid. Actually make those threes that he insists on taking. Tobias Harris and Josh Richardson outplay their matchups.

How the Pacers Win: TJ Warren is bubble TJ Warren. Myles Turner strongly outplays Bam. Slow down the game. Get something from Oladiplo if he's on the floor.
How the Heat Win: Jimmy Butler "This Time It's Personal" games all series long. Speed up the game. Make TJ Warren doubt himself.

Great post. Quoting because it's right.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Oladiplo would have been a highlight even for Tae in his prime

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

I made a bracket group for us here: https://nbabracketology.com/group/view/18977

password is boylen

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Lakers in 6
Clippers in 6
Nuggets in 5
Rockets in 7

Bucks in 5
Raptors in 5
Celtics in 6
Pacers in 6

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Katana_Warrior posted:

I made a bracket group for us here: https://nbabracketology.com/group/view/18977

password is boylen

Joined, thanks for setting it up.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

West 1st Round: Lakers vs. Blazers - Lakers in 5
West 1st Round: Clippers vs. Mavericks - Clippers in 6
West 1st Round: Nuggets vs. Jazz - Jazz in 7
West 1st Round: Rockets vs. Thunder - Rockets in 6
East 1st Round: Bucks vs. Magic - Bucks in 4
East 1st Round: Raptors vs. Nets - Raptors in 5
East 1st Round: Celtics vs. 76ers - Celtics in 7
East 1st Round: Pacers vs. Heat - Heat in 6

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I decided to try some very specific predictions. Feel free to make millions betting on (or against) them.

Lakers in 6: Dame wins Portland 2 (including game 1) but it's not enough.
Rockets in 7: CP3 misses game 7.
Nuggets in 7: Utah blows a 3-2 lead by shooting 10-53 from 3 in games 6 and 7.
Clippers in 6: Dallas loses 2 games in OT.

Bucks in 4: Bucks set a record for largest point differential in a playoff series.
Heat in 6: Duncan Robinson is unironically compared to Steph Curry numerous times.
Celtics in 5: Embiid averages 14 FTs per game in games 1-3. Misses game 4 with a hand injury.
Raptors in 5: Raptors lose game 1, as it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Lakers in 5
Clippers in 6
Nuggets in 6
Thunder in 7

Bucks in 5
Raptors in 5
Celtics in 6
Heat in 6

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Lakers in 5, Portland will win one of the first two games and cause some overreaction but the Lakers are too talented.

Clippers in 6, though this probably won't be as competitive as most 6 game series are. Mavericks will win two close ones and get shut down four times.

Nuggets in 5, I find it funny this series is happening at sea level.

Houston in 7, this could go like 500 different ways. I think Houston takes it but OKC has a helluva shot.

Bucks in 4, Bucks are going to look to stomp.

Raptors in 5, I'm sorta gifting the nets one here because I don't think there will be two sweeps but Raptors are a much better team.

Celtics in 6, if Simmons were playing I'd probably go the other way.

Heat in 6, another ugly series that I don't feel super confident about. Playoff Butler is real though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DeimosRising posted:

Oladiplo would have been a highlight even for Tae in his prime

Lmao drat, I deserve that.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Ahem.

Raptors in 16.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

My indisputable first round picks are:

Bucks in 4
Heat in 6
Raptors in 5
Celtics in 5

Lakers in 5
Rockets in 7
Clippers in 5
Nuggets in 4

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Lakers in 7 but they'll trade blowouts so it'll be les fun than that sounds

How the Blazers win, tons of 3s from the guards, Zach Collins makes threes and holds the line for the double.
How the Lakers win, cold shooting form the Blazers, wings/bigs unable to stop Lebron and all the fouls he gets away with on offense, lockdown defense frustrates the blazers and lack of touches from a team playing behind frustrate nurk/whiteside
Clippers in 4.
how the clippers win. tough defense versus a great scoring team, too tough for mavs to overcome. buckets are manufactured whenever necessary from the big 4
how the mavs win: getting buckets like loving crazy and some weird zone defense scheming, kawhi leonard injury, paul george misses every shot, nurkic ballerina spins his way into 35 points a night while rebounding everything and locking down the paint

Nuggets in 5. Sorry MV
How the nugs win: Keep doing their thing on offense and use their length to contest desperate shots from the jazz
How the jazz win: Spyda becomes D Wade, with the calls, and gobert stops every shot at the rim. role players get blisteringly hot against a weak nuggets d

Thunder in 6.
How the Thunder win: the way they've won all year. Chris Paul probably tears a hamstring in game 6 to ruin the rest of OKC's postseason
How the rockets win: D'antoni turns the team into Harden and 4 shooters, brings more screens and hand offs and takes the thuner by surprise to steal a couple

Bucks in 5
How the bucks win: being the bucks
How the magic win. covid outbreak. One crazy 3p shooting night to spare the Magic the sweep

Raptors in 5. Raptors curse
How the raptors win: playing the same team offense and strong defense against a bunch of chumps
HOW THE NETS WIN: Caris Levert becomes an avatar of Shiva and leaves the court a flaming ruin. Raptors shoot 25% from three after a crazy hustling nets defense irritates th em for no reason. we later find out that jack ma pays the raptors operating expenses for the next two years for a t hrown series.

Celtics in 5.
How the celts win: Strong wing play and defense against sixers role players, Embiid feasts but it's not enough
How the sixers win: Lockdown defense keeps games close enough for embiid's easy buckets in the paint and a rejuvenated josh richardson's blazing shooting from three

Heat in 5.
How the Heat win:No Sabonis means tons of creation vanishes and is not replaced by oladipo. no proof oladipo is ready for full speed again. Jimmy Punishes Tj Warren on offense and defense, their shooters make shots, oladipo can't create good looks and myles turner is demoralized
How the Pacers win: Oladipo crumples Heat's PNR defense, Myles Turner shoots so well that Bam is rendered less useful on d, Heat scrappy role players fall back to earth. Tj Warren keeps shooting the lights out

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 17, 2020

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bless y’all who think the Isaac less magic can take a game off the bucks I appreciate you but you’re very wrong they are awful

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

Bless y’all who think the Isaac less magic can take a game off the bucks I appreciate you but you’re very wrong they are awful

Terence Ross 50 point game combined with DJ Augustin 50 point game. It's happening

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Terence Ross 50 point game combined with DJ Augustin 50 point game. It's happening

Please gods hear this man’s prayers

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
East:

Bucks in 4 - Orlando becomes the first team in NBA history to get swept in 4 straight home games. Like they have no business here. Give this spot to Memphis so they can get some experience.

Raptors in 4 - Before last year, this is a series the Raptors would've made way harder than it had to be, now they cruise.

Celtics in 5 - I'm not sold on Boston, but the deteriorating Sixers are an ideal matchup for them.

Heat in 6 - Jimmy Butler will establish himself as the best player in the series and Warren-sanity will wither.

West:

Lakers in 5 - Portland's shooters will make the Lakers work, but they don't match up all that well defensively. I'd expect some fun games here.

Clippers in 4 - Dallas is still a work in progress and Clippers are definitely a "switch flipping" kind of team.

Nuggets in 4 - I wouldn't pick Denver against any other 3-6 seed (especially with no games actually in Denver), but they luck out and get the team with a big offensive piece missing and two stars who hate each other and are probably dying to leave to the bubble.

Rockets in 7 - This series could go a lot of different ways. I'd say Rockets in 6 if Russ was healthy, and Thunder in 6 if he doesn't play at all. I assume he'll play at some point, so if Harden (who is still the best player in this series by a country mile) can carry Houston to a split in the first two, they're in good position.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Lakers in 4
Clippers in 5
Nuggets in 6
Rockets in 5

Bucks in 4
Raptors in 4
Celtics in 7
Heat in 6

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
West:
Lakers in 6.
I suspect we get one really hot game from Lillard, and one really hot game from everyone but Lillard, and then four games that are vaguely normal from both.

Clippers in 6.
All six games will be non competitive.

Nuggets in 5.
In the before times, I had the Jazz as a possible (albeit unlikely) champ. Their chemistry is all gone forever now. I suspect Denver could lose one game to anyone.

Thunder in 5.
They are better, and practically the worst case scenario matchup for the Rockets. Harden has suffered against very good defenses in the playoffs. We have a decade's worth of evidence here, and OKC has a very good defense. Depending on how long Westbrook is out, they could get swept.

East:
Bucks in 5.
I can't see Milwaukee actually losing a series to anyone, but for whatever reason, they seem incapable of sweeping this year, even a pretty bad team. They just seemingly have games where they all go cold at once. So... I predict one of those a series.

Raptors in 4.
Eh. Gotta predict one sweep, and Toronto continues to be underrated.

Celtics in 4.
gently caress it, I'll predict two. Sixers are just too beat up to pose a serious threat to anyone.

Heat in 6.
I trust the players/system here a lot more. I dunno how the Pacers win without the Warren fluke turning into "no longer a fluke". I'd be pretty cool with being wrong here. I like players showing me up.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Bucks in 4
Heat in 6
Raptors in 5
Celtics in 6

Lakers in 6
Thunder in 7
Clippers in 5
Jazz in 7

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I forgot a bunch of these games are midday, it's gunna be a bunch of slop

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

POR in 7 - chaos reigns
LAC in 5
DEN in 7
HOU in 5 - I’ll be happy if I’m wrong

MIL in 4
TOR in 6 - don’t think nets will be as easy as most of us are hoping
BOS in 5
MIA in 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Bucks in 5
Raptors in 5
Celtics in 7
Heat in 6

Lakers in 6
Clippers in 5
Nuggets in 6
Thunder in 6