Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dan Didio posted:

He was getting consistently hit by a guy shorter, with small reach, who was blind in one eye, that’s not a great job mitigating hand speed.

fly away troll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The eye pokes won't stop until they either figure out the gloves so they don't tend to pull their hands open when the hands are neutral (if it were easy/possible, they would have by now) or they take points on the first offence and they start formal warning when people start the range finding with extended fingers like Jones does (which also likely won't happen)

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

maybe now that he's lost an eye, the daniel cormier 36 month retirement tour will finally come to an end

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Dangersim posted:

I guess Muhammed Ali sucks because you literally just described Joe Frazier.

I didn’t say anybody sucks, good to know you think DC is an identical boxer to Joe Frazier, though, lol, don’t do drugs kids.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

bewbies posted:

joe forgot to caveat "greatest heavyweight of all time" with "UFC" and i giggled

and the Fedor stans on twitter are already frothing about it

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

Dangersim posted:

I dont agree, Stipe is strong as gently caress

He is but Jon has the reach advantage, faster striking and possibly better cardio. Not to mention Stipe is on the bad side of 30. I just think he matches up better with Stipe than Reyes.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
was stipe eating those naked rights because he was keeping his hands low in case of a takedown or something? or are dc's hands really that fast

or is he a moron/tired

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Memento posted:

and the Fedor stans on twitter are already frothing about it

Remember when Fedor was on the downxswing (well the early part of the downswing) so they latched onto DC as The Black Emperor and Cain as The Brown Emperor by saying "these guys are just like Fedor fight! They are Fedor! Therefore Fedor is best!"

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

crepeface posted:

was stipe eating those naked rights because he was keeping his hands low in case of a takedown or something? or are dc's hands really that fast

or is he a moron/tired

Why pick just one?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Dangersim posted:

That's not going to change with a fighters union. The NFL has a union and Ronnie Lott literally cut a finger off to keep playing.

It's not gonna change SOLELY from a union because that union will consist of fighters who would rather maim themselves permanently than give up a fight they're getting paid $10k before splits for, but I think the path to get there requires a union as a stepping stone because without one you're never going to stand a chance of getting past promoters who balk at any sign of non-gladiatorial weakness

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

crepeface posted:

or is he a moron/tired
Little bit of options a, b, and c

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/MMACrazy/status/1294864045120643074?s=19

Choose your own adventure but stipe won basically is the verdict

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Giving round 1 (and 4 to a lesser extent to Stipe is insane to me), but Atleast they got the result right

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
41 year old DC still has incredibly fast hands for a heavyweight

lol how did Sal d'Amato give Stipe the first? madness

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Sal D'Amato is loving coked

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That’s a D’Amato Classic.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Legit amazing that Sal D'Amato can be so wrong and actually correct so consistently

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Josuke Higashikata posted:

sure, make it a week.

chaleski posted:

gently caress it let's do it

probation submitted. see you in a week Chaleski.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
DC is a hero for sure. Miocic planted his middle finger so deep in his eye socket it scrambled his occipital lobe and all we get is “I can’t see, it is what it is.”

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

down n out posted:

DC is a hero for sure. Miocic planted his middle finger so deep in his eye socket it scrambled his occipital lobe and all we get is “I can’t see, it is what it is.”

imo his face during that part of the interview had a real look of "I guess this is what I get after a career full of poking eyes"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
He even talked about it leading up to the fight like "yeah I've been training to avoid eye poking" and then changed literally none of his behaviour

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I was 100% expecting him to throw an embarassing Dom Cruz style hissy fit in that interview

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I was 100% expecting him to throw an embarassing Dom Cruz style hissy fit in that interview

DC is not that kinda person. He took the Jones losses well, and when Jones' drug test made it got reversed he was still pretty cordial/respectful.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I’ll miss pudgy dad fighting.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

I'm pretty sure DC's eye was hosed up before the eye poke. Going to need to watch the replay

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CarlCX posted:

I wish we could have the conversation about how impossibly irresponsible it was of DC's corner to send him back out when he'd straight-up told them he was blind in one eye because someone shoved their loving hand through it, but this is MMA and we're still fuckin' years and probably a fighter's union away from it

Yeah that was rank

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Memento posted:

He even talked about it leading up to the fight like "yeah I've been training to avoid eye poking" and then changed literally none of his behaviour

Uh, did we watch a different fight?

DC changed up tons, he fought his urge to mummy the whole 5 rounds that I saw

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

he didn’t do nearly as much mummy guard or patty cake. like, almost none compared to the second fight. Of course that may have just been cause it left his torso exposed

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Brown Paper Bag posted:

I'm pretty sure DC's eye was hosed up before the eye poke. Going to need to watch the replay

That eye was looking weird after Stipe sat him down at the end of the 2nd.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BrotherJayne posted:

Uh, did we watch a different fight?

DC changed up tons, he fought his urge to mummy the whole 5 rounds that I saw

Yeah you're right, he did change up his stance a lot. I should have said "all that training for not poking people in the eyes and the first thing he does is poke Stipe in the eye". Still, the poke Stipe did was nearly at the end of the 3rd, and I think even without it Stipe was going to win. Doesn't make either of them right, but it seems a bit silly to talk up how you're not going to eye poke then go straight out and eye poke in the 1st round.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, There is kind of a middle ground where DC absolutely changed things up but also still ended up poking Stipe in the eye and really didn't try to wrestle. Even though his pre-fight talk was how he wasn't going to eye poke and his back is better so he can wrestle again.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I'm so looking forward to watching the rest of chimaevs career unfold in front of us. Just rewatched some highlights and he is one solid fighter and grappler. I feel like he's the sort of guy that makes the opponent look amateurish by smothering away any chance of them using their weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Hopefully they don't throw Cerrone at him

E: for cerrones sakes.