Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

Incidental swearing seemed about normal; biggest shock content-wise for me was seeing three hours of The Last of Us in the middle of the day. Graphic violence against humans and lots of profanity, with a couple of suicides for good measure...feels like the kind of game they typically relegate to overnight.

Also the Vice City run was really good and I enjoyed that game at the time but, eugh, lotta early-00's edgy Rockstar comedy that doesn't hold up. I'd forgotten that the Vespa knock-off is named the "Faggio." KZ used it a lot, too, so the name was on-screen repeatedly. It's even in the screenshot the GDQ tweeted to promote that run.

its kinda amazing/horrifying to watch comedy stuff from the aughts and realize how many of the punchlines boil down to "hahah butt sex. they are gay. they have sex with other men, and like dicks. gay. lol"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

babypolis posted:

its kinda amazing/horrifying to watch comedy stuff from the aughts and realize how many of the punchlines boil down to "hahah butt sex. they are gay. they have sex with other men, and like dicks. gay. lol"

It's that spaceman meme "Wait it's all toxic masculinity? Always has been."

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

SeXReX posted:

Personal favorite of mine is raneofsotn's binding of Isaac run that culminates in a beautiful shot of his asscrack

Is that the one where it turned out the runner was used to the game running in slomo because his PC was poo poo?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Drone posted:

Besides Rocko's Quest, were there any runs that were outright bad this SGDQ? Like, I'm talking on the level of that guy who did the Xbox racing game a year or two back and was either extremely stoned, extremely sleep deprived, or both.

I also feel like a lot of people got away with a bit more this year in terms of having a message (HL: Alyx run where the streamer put out an amazing "black lives matter and trans rights are human rights" in the middle of his stream without batting an eye), and also a bit more cursing (oh no think of the children watching!!) than is usually tolerated.

last of us was a real snoozer of a run. just lots and lots of story and exposition. i think the runner was a LOT more into it and expected folks to be as into it as they were. it felt like they just wanted to sit in front of a camera for 4 hours and talk about a game they are super passionate about

yawwwwwwn

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I liked the runner and I think he did as well as he could, but I don’t think it’s a good game to watch a speed run of. From what I watched, it seemed like most of the time saved just came from skipping cutscenes and playing the game normally, but extremely well. It’s sort of impressive but not interesting enough to watch 3 hours of.

Compare to witcher 3 where you make Geralt go super sonic

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i remember this one because agdq 2013 was the first gdq i ever watched live. that event holds a fuckin shitton of nostalgia for me; pj's sg'ng run there remains an all-time highlight, as does runnerguy's oot 100% run (among others). been hooked on this poo poo ever since.

legendary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKiocK59EBY

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

AGDQ 2013 was also my first GDQ, as well as my introduction to speedrunning events, and seeing Miles just blitz through Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 is still really cool to watch today (especially as someone who played the first game when I was 12 and then gave up after a couple hours).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SeXReX posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aC_dSMGURg

It's not exactly that he wasn't a speedrunner, it's that all his submitted times weren't actually done in a single segment. Dude was an admin on the halo speedrunning website.

I'm p sure this is the one where my brother posted, said he'd donate a thousand bucks if he'd stop dying for ten minutes, and right as they finished reading it off, he died again.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
There's a definite monkey's paw in catching up on the YT uploads of runs and getting to the shooter block and "oh that's 360p max, welp, this is unwatchable".

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Just wanted to let you all know that SGDQ 2020 online isn't over quite yet! The bonus stream is making a return in 25 minutes on the GDQ Twitch Channel.

https://twitter.com/GamesDoneQuick/status/1297579355472723969?s=19

https://twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Just wanted to let you all know that SGDQ 2020 online isn't over quite yet! The bonus stream is making a return in 25 minutes on the GDQ Twitch Channel.

https://twitter.com/GamesDoneQuick/status/1297579355472723969?s=19

https://twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

Live now!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

https://clips.twitch.tv/CarelessSourBatteryFunRun

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

The BLM stuff definitely isn't "slipping by," they've had prominent BLM sides in the between-run displays on the GDQ Twitch channel since I think mid Spring. Very glad to see it getting so normalized for sure.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Sumi literally said BLM and TRAHR during her finale speech. Regardless of what you might think about concrete action it's definitely not "slipping by".

It was only after my donation got read off that I realized I should have tossed something in there, I'm just to used to being all light-hearted about it that it didn't even pop into my head until it was too late. Oops.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
The bonus stream was fun since it let the backup runners get on the stream. Bound had a really striking look that makes me want to try it out, with the game world splitting and tesselating into pieces.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I really can't wait for crowds to come back. I'm a killjoy I guess as I find some memes kind of annoying when I want to hear what the runner or his couch are talking about (the 'wah' thing from years back and whatnot just grated on me as a example) but man, without it I feels like I'm just watching random speedruns I could of youtube'd before the event.

That and the technical quality really Isn't Great on some of the ones I've tried to pick out. Mario vs Donkey Kong locking up and going at 2fps with quiet audio and similar things really bummed me out. Absolutely not gonna rail the people for not having the best settup but the staff does a real good job of quietly fixing this stuff so without that aid it's a teeth clincher.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

not being in-person was indeed a bummer. i mean, i get it, and frankly i am extremely not convinced agdq 2021 will be in-person either, but regardless of how justifiable it was, it still took away from the event for me. hearing a crowd react to something crazy hard, or unexpected, or a huge donation, or a terrible joke, those are all important to the gdq experience for me, so it was an extremely different vibe.

but like, how else were they gonna do it, y'know? it just sucks all-around and i hate this horseshit world we are being forced to deal with right now.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah I want everyone to stay healthy, not saying it doesn't make sense or whatever- just that it's a shame that the energy wasn't really there for a lot of it. Clapping surprisingly adds a lot and as tired as the 'oooh nooo I'm screwing up haha jk' jokes are, hearing them without a crowd to play along is just eesh.

Don't know if 2021 is realistic either (maybe summer...? I hope??) but hopeful.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I thought the quality overall was pretty good, all things considered. And while I did miss some of the cheering at big moments, I was very happy to have a year without having to hear the crowd repeat the same 2-3 memes for a week.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I didn't catch any singing in any of the parts I watched so I am extremely grateful for that. There were a few moments of intense frame dropping or quiet audio - the worst I think was 'couch' commentary lag but I think they did a really really good job and I certainly can't imagine how they pulled it off.

I also bought Baba is You after seeing it turned inside out, and I hope I don't get frustrated with not being able to figure out the first level.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I wonder if it’s possible to make a sub-only Twitch plugin that gives viewers an “applause” button they can hammer on, and pipes in crowd noise as more people hit the button in a short span of time.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

I wonder if it’s possible to make a sub-only Twitch plugin that gives viewers an “applause” button they can hammer on, and pipes in crowd noise as more people hit the button in a short span of time.

Yeah, that or have a Discord voice channel (with people vetted to not be assholes) at like 5-10% volume that can interact in the background with stuff.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I enjoyed the streaming format waaay more than I thought I would, and they did a great job on the production for the most part. But I do miss a crowd and the hype, it's just a different feel that you can't replicate without a live audience.

At this rate though I'd expect both GDQ's in 2021 to be online-only at the very least.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

For some of the runs the online format was just fine. Those tended to involve runners/hosts/commentators that are skilled at making online interactions feel like in-person conversation. Not surprisingly, they tend to be successful streamers.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Some of the issues are just really hard to deal with, though, like when the commentators are five seconds behind the runner. You can't just shift them ahead by five seconds or they'll be talking over each other all the time.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Punchy! Your Baba run was so much fun!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

pumpinglemma posted:

Some of the issues are just really hard to deal with, though, like when the commentators are five seconds behind the runner. You can't just shift them ahead by five seconds or they'll be talking over each other all the time.

That was really rough for the DMC4 run, because the runner had such a manic energy and the run was moving so fast, it was hard to keep track of what he and/or his couch was reacting to at any given moment.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Ainsley McTree posted:

That was really rough for the DMC4 run, because the runner had such a manic energy and the run was moving so fast, it was hard to keep track of what he and/or his couch was reacting to at any given moment.

I don't know who was on the couch, but that one guy who has never seen any of the tricks before was a fantastic addition just because he was like HOOOOOLY SHIITTTT at all the cool level skips. Definitely made up for not having a live audience.

Dodadoodoo
Jun 15, 2007
Do you have a dad? I wanna meet that dad.

Inzombiac posted:

Punchy! Your Baba run was so much fun!

Seconded, it was a fantastic run. I wish it could have been live because some parts were just a complete mind gently caress.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Dodadoodoo posted:

Seconded, it was a fantastic run. I wish it could have been live because some parts were just a complete mind gently caress.

Thirded, my brain melted about half way through to a point I couldn't tell what was levels and what was the level select screen. I just stared into the abyss until it was done.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

poemdexter posted:

Thirded, my brain melted about half way through to a point I couldn't tell what was levels and what was the level select screen. I just stared into the abyss until it was done.

From what I could tell, it's all levels from that point on, even the level select screen.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah, I get the sense that the game is confusing on purpose, and the secret levels require a kind of galaxy brain that I don't quite possess, so to see it all done in speedrun format is basically like neo downloading kung fu in the matrix

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it was definitely the right call to not do in person for SGDQ because we're still at 750-800 new cases daily (AND RISING ARRGHHH)

and then AGDQ is often in florida and that's like. a new record broken every day

by the time we get to january we may be at a point where more states start blocking off interstate travel and not allowing gatherings larger than 15 people, so it won't even be legally possible to do in-person

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Watching the banjo kazoo is race from Last year and there being an actual crowd and reactions made all the difference in he world

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there is literally no scenario where agdq is going to be in-person because gdq probably doesn't want to be known as an organization that willingly started a small outbreak in the speedrunning community

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

It's also going to be in Florida, though, right? So the fact that there's no way the Governor of the state will declare any kind of emergency means they're going to have to work something out with the hotel they'd originally reserved?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

there is literally no scenario where agdq is going to be in-person because gdq probably doesn't want to be known as an organization that willingly started a small outbreak in the speedrunning community

herd immunity speedrun

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
let's speedrun this pandemic

oh, we already did

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the absolute best case scenario is going to be "how can we do this in person with no Americans or Brazilians" with every other best case scenario being the same but more countries on the list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the virus isn't going to even remotely gone anywhere in the world come time for agdq, there is not going to be an in-person event. all it takes is 1 person to infect everyone.