Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

ArbitraryC posted:

30 isn't that hot though.

Still works for +/-40

Edit: Celsius snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

30 isn't that hot though.

Disagree. thats why I made the thread!

less scale chat more global warming consequences chat

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Big Beef City posted:

Yeah great it's dumb we're dumb no one actually can tell what's hot or not who knows because it's impossible

Great glad we settled that. Thank you the rest of the world for your input clearly it just never dawned on us until this afternoon.

Don't listen to all those losers trying to get you to switch to celsius (tiny numbers for tiny minds) You americans need to get ahead of the curve and start using SUPER FAHRENHEIT. it's going to be all the rage. write to your congressman today

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

MakaVillian posted:

Using the freezing and boiling points of one of the most important substances on the planet is arbitrary?

Quite literally yes. Maybe its less WEIRD than Fahrenheit, but its still arbitrary.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

reignonyourparade posted:

Quite literally yes. Maybe its less WEIRD than Fahrenheit, but its still arbitrary.

Just accept Fahrenheit is one of the dumbest scales ever invented and move on.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fahrenheit is good for measuring temperatures that people live at. Celsius is good for everything else. Also Fahrenheit is a good word to trick kids in spelling contests.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
in Death Valley it gets 5 times hotter in SUPER FAHRENHEIT than in regular old fahrenheit. also if you die there, you will be 5 times deader.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Hammerite posted:

in Death Valley it gets 5 times hotter in SUPER FAHRENHEIT than in regular old fahrenheit. also if you die there, you will be 5 times deader.

i will stay out of places named death

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"what's cooler, than being cool?!"

BELOW FREEZING IN SUPER FAHRENHEIT

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Fahrenheit is good for measuring temperatures that people live at. Celsius is good for everything else.
What does this even mean?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Last week it was 315.928K, pretty hot one.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
the more bigginest the number, the more hotterer it is, duh. thats why fahrenheit makes more sense. also comes in handy during the winter, when you can say "it was -54, my car wouldn't start and my tits froze off."

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Methanar posted:

i don't live in an american plague ghetto where disease is endemic and must be expected.

Also lol if you think I nor anybody else has the discipline and training to effectively use a mask and handle airborne pathogens. When you take it off, did you touch the surface, and then wash your hands immediately after that contact or did you take it off before you got home and then start touching doorknobs
hey moron, you were the one who couldn't buy any ice cream because you didn't have a mask with you, you really don't have a leg to stand on here

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

We moved my son to college Friday and as we’re driving up I notice some smaller dorms next to his big dorm building. He’s says yeah, that’s for the international students. I’m like, wtf that seems I dunno racist or something. He says no, they are just as nice as the others, just cheaper because they don’t have air conditioning. Apparently some international students don’t want to pay the extra for ac because they’re not used to it. Lol what the hell ever it was like 100 outdoors and 84 even with the ac on in his room. Crazy.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
where my bay area goons just had a thunderstorm come thru and knock out power for like 12 hours and it's fukken 100f in silicon valley!!!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
everyone just use rankine, there, problem solved

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i went to thailand in april and it was close to 40 degrees every day and now im immune to fire damage

i did a motorcycle tour and it was like riding in a convection oven, between the air temp, the road temp, and the engine im sure i cooked my shins a bit

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

Methanar posted:

its stupid hot out right now.

Sorry you can't tolerate what most of the world considers a cooler-than-average summer temperature.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Oyak posted:

Sorry you can't tolerate what most of the world considers a cooler-than-average summer temperature.

Yeah that's pretty sad that 27C is a heat warning. But Edmonton does suck so them being babies about it makes sense.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

MakaVillian posted:

Yeah that's pretty sad that 27C is a heat warning. But Edmonton does suck so them being babies about it makes sense.
We don't have A/C here generally, don't have access to many cooling activities with COVID-19, and a few days of sustained 30+ does suck when you have an upstairs bedroom or something like that

The last few weeks have been cold af and this warm only going to last 3 days maybe so take a cool shower and dry off you'll feel better

Also it gets cool at night so use fans and windows at night and keep your blinds and windows drawn in the daytime

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Rat posted:

We don't have A/C here generally, don't have access to many cooling activities with COVID-19, and a few days of sustained 30+ does suck when you have an upstairs bedroom or something like that

The last few weeks have been cold af and this warm only going to last 3 days maybe so take a cool shower and dry off you'll feel better

Also it gets cool at night so use fans and windows at night and keep your blinds and windows drawn in the daytime

These are all great suggestions. I was just trying to dunk on Edmonton.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

yeah I absolutely think 0 and 100 in C make more sense than 32 and 212 in F, but in terms of practically F is way better and measuring weather on earth imo. You can complain it's arbitrary if you really want to, but C is too, as water freezing and boiling is a pretty arbitrary scale to pick off and causes issues in equations where the idea of a negative temperature is a bit nonsensical, at which point you start using Kelvin which includes absolute zero as a more scientific reference point.

For the most part I feel like internet dweebs that get super hung up on units don't really get that in actual STEM fields basically every discipline ends up using it's own set of standard units because even with powers of 10 there's not really a good one size fits all and it's easier to just make the numbers work in a reasonable range of what you're trying to do rather than having a bunch of *10^-11 in there or w/e. It's almost invariably the "I loving love science" meme posters and not like actual scientists, engineers, etc.

Uh you're definitely one of those dweebs.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
working from home in an oven with no AC sucks!!!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I feel you OP. A good tip for dealing with harsh heat like 27C is to put shorts on. If you don't own shorts there's this little life-hack I learned one brutal spring in Tasmania - make a cold drink.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

It’s drat near 550 °R!

MackAddie
Jul 10, 2001

In 5 months, I'll be starting a thread about how I had to put on my parka because it's 60F.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

To waddup Edmonton goon. The gf and I invested in ac in the spring, and it was worth every penny. I go to other people's houses and I want to die.

Though I have to say, losing weight has made the 30° temps slightly more bearable (but I feel like the -30° winters will be worse lol)

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I also decided to go camping a couple weeks ago, which was the last time the area was above 30 (and wicked high humidity) but I did enough mushrooms that I couldn't feel the heat which was nice.

So I think that if you can't get ac, get mushrooms.

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

we're all going to die

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

PTSDeedly Do posted:

we're all going to die

Not me, idiot!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I also decided to go camping a couple weeks ago, which was the last time the area was above 30 (and wicked high humidity) but I did enough mushrooms that I couldn't feel the heat which was nice.

So I think that if you can't get ac, get mushrooms.

hell yeah

:hai:

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Id feel less bad about wanting to die if we all just died

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Any temperature above 20 degree ambient room temperature is oppressive bullshit

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Look, nobody is going to die. Not ever. I promise.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

It's been hot, but it hasn't gone above 100 F, so it's not as bad as it could be. The worst is the humidity along with the heat.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hot enough for ya, eh?

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

*Spots another human* The weather.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Methanar posted:

Any temperature above 20 degree ambient room temperature is oppressive bullshit

I drive by one of those business park signs that has a thermometer on it every day, and I have learned through extensive research that 18° is the perfect temperature.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Linux Pirate posted:

*Spots another human* The weather.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Comfortable temperature for humans is around 15-25 degrees C (probably something stupid like 3-250 football fields in Fahrenheit)

anything above that is uncomfortable in day to day life. Just because you can tolerate it when you're sitting inside watching fox news and eating out of a jar of mayo with the AC at 20C when it's 37C outside doesn't make you a "Cool" dude.

30C is uncommon at the height of summer here and when it does happen it's usually at 200% humidity and no one has AC because 75% of the year it's cold. 30C is hell without AC or a pool or something.