Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Previous Thread with lots of outdated information

The Final Fantasy Mobile Game

No, not that one. This one has higher quality sprites.

No, that one's in 3D.

No, that's the one that's like Final Fantasy Tactics.

Ahh, there's our girl.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is Final Fantasy Brave Exvius?

It's a mobile game. It's Free to Play if you have a ton of patience, luck and don't mind not keeping up with the Jones'. It's also, on occasion, very good and provides a solid old school Final Fantasy experience like you might have have back in the day. However a lot of the time you'll find the games monetization and profit driven approach to your experience somewhat detrimental. Bug that makes your unit unusable...uh we'll fix it next patch. Accidentally added did something in the player's favor: hotfix within the hour. Make no mistake, this is every other mobile game out there run by greedy developers who really don't care about the quality of the content they're churning out as long as players buy it. However, the design team tends to actually do their job on occasion and create content that's enjoyable, so the game is worth playing.

You can download the game on Google Play Store, Apple's Store, or through the Amazon App store which is how you'll want to download it if you want to play via an emulator on your PC as the Google Play Store version is still bugged on emulators for some people due to the 64 bit code or something, who the gently caress knows.

This thread is mainly about the Global version of the game, however a few players that also play JP, notably Cao Ni Ma, will report whatever's going on with the JP version as their schedule is a few months ahead of Global's.

How Do I Play This Game?

This is a typical old school turn based Final Fantasy game. Similar to any of the games from FF1- FF10. New characters are acquiried by summoning, which is done usually by spending Lapis which is the game's in game currency. Characters have a rarity and some can have their rarity increased. The highest level is now Neo Vision, which is effectively 8*. Some units can only be obtained at NV rarity. All NV units can be further increased to NV Ex+3. It's all very complicated, but suffice to say that units that come out of a gold or blue crystal are basically trash at this point, units that come out of a rainbow crystal are potentially good, and units that come out of a red crystal are going to be very, very good.

Assemble your team, equip gear, slot in an esper and most likely find a whale on your friend list that's going to carry your undergeared rear end through 95% of the content in the game. There are hard boss trials to face down, weekly events to tackle, and a story with dozens of hours of god awful anime writing. Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Important Links

Exvius SubReddithttps://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/ Best source for news and speculation. Also go here if you need to find friends or read about how to beat a trial.

Unofficial Wiki - https://www.exviuswiki.com Lists of all the characters and their abilities. Update schedules, mission information, etc. Go here to look at new units to see what they do before you decide if you want to pull for them.

FFBE Equip - https://ffbeequip.com/ – Fantastic online site where you can upload your user data and then have the site build you an optimal team for whatever you're fighting. Even if you don't want to upload your data you can still use the tool but it's safe to do so.

Exvius Goon Discord Channelhttps://discord.gg/Jx9b6Rt – If you need immediate help, ask here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Maintenence typically starts Wednesday night and ends Thursday morning. Be sure to double check ending times of events as they may differ from maintenance. Claim periods for things like King Mog events or banner ticket redemption are typically around after the banner ends for at least a week. Always double check in the news when a special item's redemption window ends because if you miss the window then that's a dead item in your inventory.

Don’t chase banner units unless there's a safety net that will guarantee you the unit.

Fountain of X bundles as usually worth the $. Others bundles not so much. If there's a good one, the thread will be sure to mention it.

Long pressing a unit in the battle section of the screen will allow you to view the buffs/debuffs currently affecting the unit along with a turn timer.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to be good at this game.
Learn how to chain. The biggest damage in the game comes from either chaining your damage dealer with another one using the same chain family or by "finishing" a chain with a high damage skill that has only a few hits. Abilities listed with a little acronym on the upper right corner will let you know those are part of the same family and will be easy to chain. Higher chains result in more damage.

Also use elemental imbues and imperils. Elemental imbues will an add element to your unit's attack. Typically enemies will have some element they're weak against and thus you can do more damage by doing attacks that have that element. For magical attacks you'll need to choose the appropriate spell of that type, but for physical attacks you can add that element to your weapon and go to town with any physical damage ability. Imperils are debuffs that create that weakness in your foe, these are the skills that say "reduce enemy resistance to [element] attacks".

Use buffs and breaks. Buffs increase your parties stat by the % listed. Breaks reduce the enemy's stats by the % listed. As of this writing buffs of 200% are getting power crept and breaks of less than 80% aren't typically used. Not every enemy can have their stats broken so be sure to double check the wiki if you're feeling like your breaks aren't landing.

Use Killers over straight ATK . Due to how damage calculation works a 50% killer buff is much stronger than a 50% atk buff and worth giving up a large chunk of ATK stat. If you know the kind of enemy you're facing, always try to maximize your killer % against that enemy type. You can check your active level by clicking the unit into the equip screen, clicking details and then the +.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 11, 2021

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Neo Visions Information Post

Neo Visions are the current highest rarity of a unit. As such they are the strongest units in the game. Neo Visions brings us 4 new features.

1) Brave Shift - This is an alternate form that the unit can switch into during a fight. This form is geared separately than the regular form.

2) Brave Abilities - These are alternate abilities that a unit may use when in their brave shifted form.

3) Vision Cards - Similar to Espers these are card that are slotted onto a unit and increase the stats of the unit. Similar to espers they can be leveled up but are done so by using cactuars.

4) EX Awakenings - While NV is the highest rarity, you can further enhance your unit's power by awakening them to EX+3. The costs for these and the materials information is listed below.

A very helpful infographic put together by Furcula on Reddit, click for big.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 17, 2020

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

We'll never know, but I'm still sure that the rush to NV is actually going to hurt their bottomline long term.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Gonna be real interesting to see what happens when NV come out here, especially with an Elena NV being made since if she's as meta-tier as the original Elena was (while dealing hybrid dmg), she'll probably make every other dmg unit extremely lackluster for awhile. Even if she's "only" 160b or so in damage (or whatever Tifa and Cloud hit) that's going to make her very useful for the next year while utterly shaming every DPS unit so far.

e: considering NVs are taking a bunch of terrible whale mechanics that Alchemist Code and WotV use, I wonder if Gumi has any long term roadmap for FFBE at this point.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 17, 2020

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Problem with hybrids is that its entirely up to Gumi to make them work since Alim gave up on them ages ago. All gear will have to be provided through GLEX units or events because JP just doesn't come with that stuff anymore.

As for the mechanics itself for NV, they aren't inherently bad and it all depends on how they are implemented. GL is already doing a bit better than JP with the slightly higher rates, the NV EX tickets and certain free pulls having NVs on the drop table. The ex cards being on NV+1 instead of NV+3 is a massive improvement to that mechanic in JP. Frags are already handed out as daily rewards and it wouldn't take much to implement universal frags like in other games like RS.

No safety net loving sucks, the breakneck pace to get here invalidated a ton of content and units whose design I liked a lot.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 17, 2020

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Problem with hybrids is that its entirely up to Gumi to make them work since Alim gave up on them ages ago. All gear will have to be provided through GLEX units or events because JP just doesn't come with that stuff anymore.

Well they did come up with that Gilgamesh WOTV STMR piece of gear, and it looks like Elena NV will be a TDW unit so that will be nice, albeit a gently caress you to people who got her non-NV STMR. As for Hybrid non-materia pieces that is a bit tough. Even Princess Ashe's STMR sword that's "hybrid" is far behind in ATK. I think they kind of realized that hybrids are, from a design standpoint, really limiting.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
It’s going to be sad to skip Cloud on Thursday. But I need to save every lapis I can until KH3 banner hits. I need Riku on my team. Although, NV Elena makes it harder, I am going to be as frugal as possible.

I’m really impressed with the global changes to NV though. Getting the units VC at EX +1 is super nice, and the gigantaur cards will help too!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Well drat, I never used my free character token before the offer expired last week, because I thought it ended this week like the prism does.

So now I need to decide whose prism to grab. I could get esper Charlotte's prism to 7* her but Galuf evade+provoke tanks perfectly well. Could 7* someone like Epsilon Nichol, or my 3rd copy of esper Reagen for his STMR. Shame I can't use it to get a prism for the dark bahamut fina I got on a recent EX ticket but I can always UoC her instead. :shrug:

PaybackJack posted:

Well they did come up with that Gilgamesh WOTV STMR piece of gear, and it looks like Elena NV will be a TDW unit so that will be nice, albeit a gently caress you to people who got her non-NV STMR. As for Hybrid non-materia pieces that is a bit tough. Even Princess Ashe's STMR sword that's "hybrid" is far behind in ATK. I think they kind of realized that hybrids are, from a design standpoint, really limiting.

Gumi in a nutshell.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I like the idea of a TDW Elena, am I nuts? I was going to make her one with stuff I have now but didn't get the last 10 UOC together yet for a 2nd Malphasie unit to then omniprism and STMR mog. When I finally got a 4th Nagi to add her STMR to the WOTV Gilg STMR, it looked like a potentially interesting way to boost her even more. But it does mean less synergy between her existing unit's gear and the upcoming new NV Elena.

I'll definitely be trying to get her, on hoard mode now for what good it will do til then. I voted for her as the remake character.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its entirely possible that one form is TDH but 100% TDH isnt that hot when 7r cloud stmr is 200% tdh. (TDH cap is increased to 400% soon)

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
So the gist is, what, NV is coming this week but there's not a worthwhile NV banner until September?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

suuma posted:

So the gist is, what, NV is coming this week but there's not a worthwhile NV banner until September?

And we get a free NV Tifa that's going to continue to be good for a while. Plus a decent chance at a free NV cloud from bonus pulls.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

PaybackJack posted:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Server resets at 0000 PDT. Maintenence is Thursday Morning. Banners Change on Friday Morning.

Doesn't maintenance start Wednesday night and end Thursday morning (Pacific time), with new banners coming at the end of maintenance?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I like the GL NV changes. Like the Summon Fest changes they seem to have made the overall thing more player friendly. Not fully so, but I didn't expect it to be honestly. They went a bit farther than I thought they would. I especially like the Vision Card being earlier now and some of the other NV awakening bonuses.

And this new Elena... looks AWESOME, I hope she's still hybrid. Nobody does but me. I hope she makes hybrid awesome and viable in NV era right off the bat. She's been my favorite unit of the 7* era overall, I will be giving all I can hoard for the new one.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
I am definitely hoping the NV Elena is viable, a high-powered Hybrid damage unit, likely with multiple elements? yeeees please. I have wotvgilg's STMR, but have never pulled a Nagi so that is saddening. I do have Jasper STMR though so I mean my hybrid materia is really not bad at all.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Ancillary Character posted:

Doesn't maintenance start Wednesday night and end Thursday morning (Pacific time), with new banners coming at the end of maintenance?

I'll change that, thanks!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Massive downtime is coming to an end soon and the game has gotten like 5 patches since this morning, which makes me think it might get pushed back

Games up, everything seems to be working. Pulled two rainbows back to back out of tickets, none of them on banner. The 10+1 banner pulls give a ticket that you can exchange for goodies, including character frags so you dont even need to use lapis to get cloud to +1 with one and the daily login rewards

e-2 100 loving chocobo slot pulls, im going to be here all day long. Already got a 5*/NV pull ticket from one of them. Im betting the rates are poo poo but better it be low than none at all like JP

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 20, 2020

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

No NV pulls today or tickets from the 100 slut machine pulls. I did awake Tifa to NV so yay.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Tons of rainbows now, most garbage but Agent Olive #2, Bahamut Dark Fina #1, and Lilisette #2 were pretty nice. Probably UoC/Omni the Agent Olives to get her STMR because it's so good.

Aside from the free 10+1 and a 5*-NV ticket from the coin shop I haven't dropped anything that could go NV yet.

Pulling through that slot machine was a slog.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

So after cashing in all my Tifas I was one shy of Ex+2 so I grabbed the 1k lapis bundle and 5x5 of the shards from the shop. There doesn't seem to be much incentive to rush her to EX+2 since all you get is a bit more stats and some more of the same cactuar cards. Is there something else I'm missing here?

Looks like we'll get enough event coins to get all those STMR tickets in the shop, which combined with the 100+ tickets I have now means Mystina and Elly's STMRs and that wraps it up for me in terms of 5* era units I want an STMR for. I dropped 16 UoCs for the prisms needed to bump up the Agent Olives and fuse em, so that's checked off the list. If we get a Dragon Quest rerun banner I'm definitely going to grab a Jasper Unbound, but otherwise I think I'm pretty good with past limited time units.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 20, 2020

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
Oh my God, so many screens ... New NV quests, new shops, new unit screens.... I feel like I'm missing something. I wish they made it clearer on each screen what's daily, what's permanent, etc.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

For anyone farming coins from the challenge level: Dual wield + barrage goes through the break bar in two turns, so use the first turn to buff up and the 2nd to explode the boss with a pair of chainers+Tifa.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
If you have White Mage Rosa from the FF4 Mog king, equip her with dual wield + equip L sword/fist. Give her 2 fists or greatswords and use Radiant Arrows. It’ll break the gauge in one turn.
I framed out all of Tifa’s brave abilities to level 5 in like 30 mins that way. Used 2 Tifas to chain and AC Cloud to finish. Had an extra slot so used Lunafreya to imbue, imperil and buff.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I think I might quit after Elena NV gets here. Hoard til she arrives, get her if I can, and win or lose, done. I'm not enjoying the busy work of it all anymore and they rushed to this at the expense of so much, I'm burnt out. I can't even play after a day like today without spending an hour and a half in the menus doing really slow bullshit that I just don't enjoy. I do like the NV changes but goddamn I got like 15 SNES RPGs I still haven't even played what am I doing letting this gacha hack my brain to get at my wallet, honestly. It will be fun to try for the unit I voted to get this upgrade before I hit the road, though.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 21, 2020

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I spent 20k on the banner to get the tickets needed to get the 50% STMR Moogle because I was sure I had Kryla at 50%. Turns out I didn't now I've got a 50% moogle that needs a home. I got 2 Barrets and 2 Tifa off the banner which I guess I can use to help get Tifa to EX 3.

I also pulled a Zenida off the banner. I wonder how her damage compares to Tifa, her STMR is useful at least if she's still worth 7*ing.

Oh and I also pulled another Agent Olive so jokes on me there. Thanks Gumi!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Taking Tifa to EX3 seems like a waste unless you're sure you're never going to get a real NV unit or you'll get them slower than you'll get the rare mat her EX3 needs. She only gets some stats for her EX3 too.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I just pulled another GD Agent Olive. WTF Gumi. It took me 10 months to pull 1 and you drop 3 more on me within the month, 2 of them less than 24 hours after I UoC 2 of her prisms, one was from the free FF7 specific banner tickets and the other was from a 5+1 that I got from the slot machine with today's pulls.

THIS GAME KNOWS!

Hmm, since it knows maybe I should omni+stmr moogle Zenida. There's an STMR I wouldn't mind having two of.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 21, 2020

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Taking Tifa to EX3 seems like a waste unless you're sure you're never going to get a real NV unit or you'll get them slower than you'll get the rare mat her EX3 needs. She only gets some stats for her EX3 too.

In JP taking a native NV unit to +3 was only worth it because of the card but its such a loving whale grind that not even BIS formulas account for them. Theres even less of a need in GL because they give you a copy of the card at +1.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

In JP taking a native NV unit to +3 was only worth it because of the card but its such a loving whale grind that not even BIS formulas account for them. Theres even less of a need in GL because they give you a copy of the card at +1.

See changes like this to the punitiveness of the system as a whole have me feeling some goodwill toward Gumi/GL for making it easier for people to really enjoy these things and not feel like they're missing out. I am just seriously not enjoying things atm. I'm taking yesterday and today off the game and I'll see if I enjoy doing dark visions 5 with Elena's enhancements and the new Tifa NV. I really do want to stay excited for the new Elena NV and chase it, maybe things will even out content wise and I can chill a bit and get the enjoyment back.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
I feel dumb.. Where is Reno's prism to awaken him to 7*?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

A guy on the reddit posted how he's quitting because the game feels like a chore and I'm like "Now?" there's actual content all over the place. This is the least the game has felt like a chore in a long while. NV Tifa is still perfectly usable without her skills being enhanced, or being at EX+3. There's new trials, rewards for running old trials, a series specific daily quest, poo poo I haven't gotten to Behemoth, Shinryu, or finished the Elf on the Shelf. There's a loving DV running, a King Mog, a Raid. And for once in many months it feels like enhancing Tifa is something that actually matters since it was made perfectly clear outside of Sylvie and Rena that DPS units are never going to get enhanced in a meaningful way again so having a brief moment here to grind out a new shiny dps is great.

If anything there's too much going on.

werdnam posted:

I feel dumb.. Where is Reno's prism to awaken him to 7*?

10k event points reward.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

If anything there's too much going on.

Pretty sure that's what makes it a chore to some people.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Yes, and because what we get is just grind-it-out "content" that is actually just the same screen over and over for two weeks with higher and higher requirements of our time and/or money to get mad bonus units to get enough event points to get up to the reward tiers that still have desirable stuff (which is like up to 70k event points now for mog kings, and they're back to back to back lately with these raids too). I feel like I'm open to a response of "well if you don't enjoy it just don't do that content," but I don't like FOMO and their development strategy is explicitly aimed to inspire it and I notice that more when I'm not enjoying the game. And anyway I guess in a sense that is what I'm gonna do, just not do any of the content and then also uninstall it after that. But not til I try to get Elena NV dagnabbit

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pretty sure that's what makes it a chore to some people.

I could get feeling that way about grinding Brave materials or the King Mog, but the King Mog grind has always been around and the Brave things aren't that necessary.

I guess if you were just the kind of person that liked the casual, "log in and knock out most of the stuff in 30 minutes then log out" type of player you'd be upset by this content dump but I'd say while the game does exploit FOMO, they also do a good job of making an accessible plateau right below the peak.

Anyway, I miracle pulled an NV Cloud off a 3* ticket from event points so disregard me.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
You know, there's something special about designing a grinding event where every stage has multiple enemies but the bonus units' strong attacks are single target.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

werdnam posted:

You know, there's something special about designing a grinding event where every stage has multiple enemies but the bonus units' strong attacks are single target.

Put Diablos on Tifa or Cloud, use Reno's AOE full break, and Tifa kills the mobs 1 by 1 with Meteor Crush even without a chaining partner. Or chain her with a buddy Cloud/Tifa since they'll retarget on their own. It's weird but not that bad really. :shrug:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

If you can find an NV Cloud as your friend unit, Brave shift then lightning imbue and 2xAoE will get the job done at any level with decent gearing. Tifa not having a buffed AOE attack is annoying for sure.

Since Cloud is DW in Brave form, that makes me think maybe Elena will be the opposite. Her non-shifted form could be TDW then she shifts into brave form where she becomes TDH. It seems like the Brave Shifted form is where the damage is but I hope they play around with it more in the future so the modes are more flexible. Like rather than having Elena just be TDW/TDH, that also represents a split in her MAG/ATK focus. So she deals magic damagd in regular form but can brave shift to deal physical damage. That would be an interesting way to do a hybrid and probably a bit easier to balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

PaybackJack posted:

If you can find an NV Cloud as your friend unit, Brave shift then lightning imbue and 2xAoE will get the job done at any level with decent gearing. Tifa not having a buffed AOE attack is annoying for sure.

Since Cloud is DW in Brave form, that makes me think maybe Elena will be the opposite. Her non-shifted form could be TDW then she shifts into brave form where she becomes TDH. It seems like the Brave Shifted form is where the damage is but I hope they play around with it more in the future so the modes are more flexible. Like rather than having Elena just be TDW/TDH, that also represents a split in her MAG/ATK focus. So she deals magic damagd in regular form but can brave shift to deal physical damage. That would be an interesting way to do a hybrid and probably a bit easier to balance.

As long as they make her MAG like Ace's (magic damage that uses physical attributes) that's a fine idea, but if it's normal magic then it'd be terrible and awful.