Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Now This Is Going To Be Fun but they’re wearing nets jerseys

I think Durant likes him a lot so that’s probably why he got hired. Vaughn probably would’ve been a better coach or maybe lue, and I think d’antoni has said this might be his last season as rockets head coach but nobody on the nets would ever listen to him. So maybe this is ok or maybe it’s horrible. We will see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

not defending the nash hire, but sometimes you go with the trusted assistant who has worked his way up and that person is jim boylen

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Yeah this is definitely a KD likes this guy hire.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

not defending the nash hire, but sometimes you go with the trusted assistant who has worked his way up and that person is jim boylen

I mean yeah don't hire a guy who is insane and thinks he's Bear Bryant but there are probably assistants who are not like that!

It was without the star players but Vaughn was doing a really nice job given the roster and has worked for a lot of good coaches. His Orlando stint was bad but it'd be nice to see him get another shot.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I love this hire with Jacques Vaughan sticking around.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MourningView posted:

I saw someone crediting him for "fixing" Durant's jumper lol

Huh

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Algund Eenboom posted:

Now This Is Going To Be Fun but they’re wearing nets jerseys

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Idk whats going to happen in the off-season but it was a good season and I hope we let shai dort and bazely figure out how to win with no cp3 or Gallo next year

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Metapod posted:

Idk whats going to happen in the off-season but it was a good season and I hope we let shai dort and bazely figure out how to win with no cp3 or Gallo next year

Next year is The Year of the Dort

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I hope so mangles I really hope so

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

morestuff posted:

This is great. I'd do an effort post about the Hornets but I don't think anyone wants 2000 (more) words on Terry Rozier trade scenarios

i support all effort NBA posts because they make me feel less silly for the number of multi-paragraph Mavs posts I make that are only of interest to me

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dutchy posted:

i support all effort NBA posts because they make me feel less silly for the number of multi-paragraph Mavs posts I make that are only of interest to me

I love your Mavs posts.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I encourage everyone to make an effortpost about their team if the spirit moves you to. It's cathartic.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

Next year is The Year of the Dort

Crazy that a rookie should have won MIP but here we are

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Tony Snell has a 12.x million option for next season, I assume he's going to take it due to covid chaos, but I haven't read anything in the Detroit newspaper to suggest either way.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

MourningView posted:

I feel bad about it now but I have to admit that during a particularly dark moment in the first half I did this

https://tradenba.com/trades/T9s-08o6T

You're going to prove that time travel exists when the 2010 version of you comes through a portal and socks you right in the jaw for this

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Thank you

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

NickRoweFillea posted:

I encourage everyone to make an effortpost about their team if the spirit moves you to. It's cathartic.

Lol, that is the greatest probate ever

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lockback posted:

Lol, that is the greatest probate ever

MIKE: You can't do it, dog. Can't post the anime spoilers. Can't spoil it. You just can't do it, dog.
MAD DOG: CAN'T SPOIL THE ANIME

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
What manga should Ja be reading in the offseason to inspire him

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

kingcobweb posted:

slam dunk is the obvious choice i guess but honestly he should check out teppu, it’s about women’s mma and it’s a pretty short read but it’s good

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

kingcobweb posted:

Hajime No Ippo

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Got into a dumb-rear end twitter argument earlier tonight and it reminded me of this good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydOUbQqYb30

I also looked things up (https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats_per_game.html#stats::31) and it wasn't until the last four seasons or so that the league average ORtg is above what it used to be in the late 80s and early 90s to take the crown as the most offensively efficient era.

I really think the league will do something within the next four seasons to bring the scoring efficiency down a bit and/or increase variety of play. What that is, I don't know. I think a lot would change if they were more strict about moving screens and less strict about incidental contact and feather-light touches.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Kibner posted:

Got into a dumb-rear end twitter argument earlier tonight and it reminded me of this good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydOUbQqYb30

I also looked things up (https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats_per_game.html#stats::31) and it wasn't until the last four seasons or so that the league average ORtg is above what it used to be in the late 80s and early 90s to take the crown as the most offensively efficient era.

I really think the league will do something within the next four seasons to bring the scoring efficiency down a bit and/or increase variety of play. What that is, I don't know. I think a lot would change if they were more strict about moving screens and less strict about incidental contact and feather-light touches.

I don't think reffing will change unless there's a significant change in ratings over time. That seems to be the bit. They only change the rules if Detroit wins the championship or maybe a new class of star emerges and their skillset shouldn't be overly hindered by physical play from the defense. I

just like the way the whole floor becomes important again in lower scoring, more hotly contested playoff games. Teams that abandon midrange are going to hit icy patches because sending the other team the ball like 55% of the time piles up points quickly. But you need guys who can hit with a good% from there, and that tends to be the reserve of a class of special guards and then just star players

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

R.D. Mangles posted:

MIKE: You can't do it, dog. Can't post the anime spoilers. Can't spoil it. You just can't do it, dog.
MAD DOG: CAN'T SPOIL THE ANIME

They weren't even spoilers! I just said something happens in the part 8 manga that is similar to the end of the Joseph/Wammu fight. Zero specifics. smh these people should be reading the manga anyways

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
NBA Gone Fishin' 2020: these people should be reading the manga

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Portland Trail Blazers Gone Fishin' Post for the '19-'20 Season:

Season Lookback
Overall the season was a disappointment. Portland were real bad pre-bubble, and although the team played admirably in the bubble, getting dismantled by the Lakers in the first round wasn't how this season was supposed to go. Injuries were a bit part of that end result, but you can't help but feel like the 2019-20 season was another year of Lillard's prime wasted.

Depth Chart:
PG: Lillard, Simons
SG: McCollum, Trent Jr.
SF: Ariza*, Hezonja`, Hood^
PF: Collins, Little
C: Nurkic

* - Partially Guaranteed
` - Player Option
^ - Player Option and Injured

Portland's core is set with Lillard, McCollum and Nurkic. They have their flaws (especially on defense) but they are still one of the best trios in the league.

The Blazers also have a solid but unspectacular group of young players in Trent Jr, Simons, Little and Collins. Trent Jr. blossomed in the bubble and playoffs and looks like he can be the 3&D wing of the future for the team. Simons had a disappointing season but he just turned 20 and will get another chance at backup PG next year. Little is also 20 and had a needs to improve his outside shooting if he wants to stay in the league. Collins has the tools to be a real good stretch big but can't seem to stay healthy.

Ariza has a partially guaranteed deal that will most likely be guaranteed. He looked like the Ariza of old after moving to Portland mid-season and offers exactly what Portland is lacking (defense and 3 point shooting from the wing). Hezonja has a player option that he's very likely to take. He was real bad this year and will probably be an end of bench player if he isn't traded. Hood has a player option that he will also take as he tore his achilles. Hood blossomed into a solid bench scorer and small ball 4 with Portland but we will have to see how he looks after recovering from one of the worst injuries a basketball player can get.

Free Agency:
Whiteside - UFA
Melo - UFA
Swanigan - UFA
Wenyan Gabriel - RFA

Whiteside filled in ok for Nurkic this season, but he's not really needed with Nurkic and Collins around. I want to keep him as could play well in a backup role if he's willing to come off the bench and would be a nice trade chip, but most Blazer fans want to let him walk. Melo was a nice redemption story this year but he's not a good player. I don't really care if he stays or goes, if he stays it will mostly be to make Lillard happy. Swanigan hasn't shown that he's an NBA player and Portland will likely let him leave. Gabriel has shown some potential and is probably worth keeping around since he will be cheap.

Don't expect much from Portland in the free agent department. A wing who can shoot and defend would be their top target but that's a tall order with only the mid-level and bi-annual exceptions available. Expect to see the Blazers sign a backup/3rd string center if Whiteside walks, and Olshey might also go after a backup/3rd string PG.

Picks
Portland is picking 16th and 46th this draft and has all of their future first round picks.

Trades
The Blazers will likely sit tight trade-wise during the off-season as they don't have the salaries to do much. Ariza only counts for $2m until October and Olshey is very unlikely to move CJ. Everyone else makes $5m or less. Once Ariza's deal is guaranteed and free agents can be traded I would expect the Trail Blazers to be in the market for the missing wing they need. Aaron Gordon is a likely target as Orlando's owner is cheap and Isaac is out next year. Other targets really depend on how the off-season shakes out and who is looking to make some moves.

Summary
Expect Portland to try to run it back now that they are healthy again. Ideally that means a top 4 seed and an appearance in the 2nd round, but the West is likely to be a bloodbath again and things don't always go as planned. Also if the right piece is available everyone except Dame, CJ and Nurkic could be moved.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 4, 2020

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the big priority for the bulls should be to find a coach that giannis likes and respects to reduce tension when they either trade for him next season or get him as a free agent.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

R.D. Mangles posted:

the big priority for the bulls should be to find a coach that giannis likes and respects to reduce tension when they either trade for him next season or get him as a free agent.

Speak it into existence

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Thought about this for a while I want Blake Griffin in the cp3 trade

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Metapod posted:

Thought about this for a while I want Blake Griffin in the cp3 trade

This feels like a lateral move for both teams. Wouldn't you want some younger talent on the same timeframe as the core?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

This feels like a lateral move for both teams. Wouldn't you want some younger talent on the same timeframe as the core?

My thoughts are we are likely not going to get any good young talent for crispy (if we can then get that instead) so acquiring griffin is a great steath tank move as he probably won't play a lot that gives us not only a greater chance at cade but also brings our biggest star home. It would be a 3 team trade in my mind so Detroit would be getting something else so lateral move for them would be tbd

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think detroit would trade one old guy on a bad contract for another but maybe they are less realistic about what they are idk. I think you hope either Miami gets high off their playoff run and decides they're one piece away or Milwaukee does something desperate to keep Giannis.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yeah im saying Detroit decides to blow it up fully and adds their name in a trade to make the money work to wherever cp3 ends up. Not a cp3 to Detroit trade

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I'm pretty sure we've already gone nuclear. Blake has said he doesn't care what his role is (i.e. "I'm ready for the bench,") and the FO already let Reggie and Markieff go. I think the only thing left to blow up is to not offer Christian Wood money.

I do like the idea of Blake returning to OK for his final seasons, though. I just can't see how the money works out and a situation where the Detroit FO doesn't feel like they soaked up some lovely contracts for nothing.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Vinestalk posted:

I'm pretty sure we've already gone nuclear. Blake has said he doesn't care what his role is (i.e. "I'm ready for the bench,") and the FO already let Reggie and Markieff go. I think the only thing left to blow up is to not offer Christian Wood money.

I do like the idea of Blake returning to OK for his final seasons, though. I just can't see how the money works out and a situation where the Detroit FO doesn't feel like they soaked up some lovely contracts for nothing.

I think they're committed to Blake unless someone wants to truly pay to take a 40% of the time superstar 60% DNP / too hurt to do much at 36m next year/ 39m in 2022-23.
They don't have any cap worries, so any trade that takes away the chance of a competent enough team to draw sometimes is probably going to cost.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 8, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I feel like a Blake for CP3 trade is barreling towards inevitable. I can't really see the basketball sense completely, but that hasn't really stopped things before.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
You think Detroit would know better after the Iverson trade

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Blake to Houston, CP3 to Detroit, Westbrook to Washington and John Wall to OKC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Time 2 plagiarize

New Jersey Brooklyn Nets Gone Fishin' Post for the '19-'20 Season

Current Roster (and appx. depth chart)
Head Coach: Steve Nash for some reason
Assistant coach: Jacques Vaughn
PG: Kyrie Irving, Caris LeVert (technically SG but he's better at the G part than the S part)
SG: Spencer Dinwiddie, Garrett Temple, Timothé Luwawu-Cabarot, Tyler Johnson
SF: Joe Harris, Taurean Prince, Dzanan Musa, Wilson Chandler, Justin Anderson, Lance Thomas, Kevin Durant
PF: Rodions Kurucs, Nicolas Claxton, Donta Hall
C: Jarrett Allen, DeAndre Jordan.

2-Way and G-Leaguers
Chris Chiozza, Jeremiah Martin, Jamal Crawford

Kind of a disappointing season, but also not, because most thought it would be a "transition year" while the team waited for its #1 big free agent signing to get healthy for the next season. Still, most had the Nets at around the 4th-5th seed, so not great to end up fighting with the danged Wizards for 8.

An expected early playoff exit to the unstoppable and inevitable champion Millwaukey Bucks distracts from the fact that this was a severely depleted roster throughout the bubble. One of the starting lineups was TLC, Kurucs, Thomas, Temple, Johnson. Good thing dudes like LeVert and Dinwiddie can play PG pretty well because they got a lot of practice sliding over to that slot during the season. I love Kyrie and his highlights and I think I could get him to read Settlers but the reality is that the team was better without him and he was injured enough to make the "not injured" part of that a small sample size. The other big injury on the roster is, of course, Durant, and how good he'll be next season is a huge question. Anyone expecting him to be right back to where he was is probably mistaken because he had just about the worst possible injury, one that'll especially affect his lateral movement and probably make him much worse at defense. My most optimistic scenario for Durant is that he turns into late-career Dirk on offense, still able to shoot well because he has a great stroke and even if he doesn't elevate himself he's tall enough to get almost any shot off, probably not running down the court and being more of a body on defense than an active presence. Worst case scenario is end-of-career Dirk on both ends of the floor.

I will probably become extremely mad at DeAndre Jordan for treating Jarrett Allen poorly and possibly even forcing him to be traded off the team, and I will ignore Kyrie and Durant being a big part of that decision. I want to hate fewer people who don't deserve it in the Jewish New Year so only Jordan receives my ire this upcoming season. Maybe Taurean Prince too, we'll see

Free agency
A bit going on here even though this is a more boring free agency class than usual

RFAs
-Garrett Temple played well so his team option will probably get picked up
-Jeremiah Martin and Chris Chiozza are 2-way players and the thinness at an injury-prone position (PG) will probably keep them around

UFAs
-Joe Harris is one of the biggest free agents as a great shooter and not-great defender. Diet Klay Thompson is good enough to be the third or fourth biggest free agent this offseason, but even though the Nets have his bird rights I could see them going either way with him, especially if a team like the Hawks (do they have cap space?) wants to make a big splash
-Wilson Chandler was not very good but to be honest I know more or less nothing about him
-My beloved David Nwaba was already picked up by the Rockets due to injury and I hope he wins MVP for them

Draft
The Nets have 19 and 55 so they're not doing much here. Probably will look for a "win now" type prospect, Desmond Bane maybe?

What does next year look like?
They'll have big expectations that they 100% do not deserve. Wouldn't put it past them to lose in the first round again, especially given that Durant may be much worse and Kyrie may be non-existent, one of two centers on the team is hated by the other center and there are mild trade rumors floating around about him, there are trade rumors about their second-best healthy player Dinwiddie, their third best healthy player (Harris) may be gone, etc. Just in their division I don't see the the celtics or raptors getting much worse, the sixers are a tossup with all the weird poo poo going on there, knicks lol. But hey, maybe Durant got access to experimental stem cell techniques, or learned from Peter Theil how to properly harvest body parts from young healthy people, and he's as good as he was on the Warriors and they go far. Who knows! It would be nice if they got to the ECF, but I wouldn't bet my DinwiddieCoin on it

Note: I dont actually know much about basketball. Some or all of this may be wrong

Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbhQrn7I9EE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNDfwlMUB0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeC0W9iMgqA