Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Really liked it. Making a Lovecraft mythos show but having it star black heroes is a great way of dealing with the stain of Lovecraft's racism, I had never actually heard of that poem he wrote. Wow.

The one thing I disliked was how clearly those CG monsters were shown, as they looked kind of boring. Would've perhaps been better to obscure them more, show little shadowed glimpses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I was not aware of the concept of sundown towns and thought the cops might be a bit exaggerated, but reading up on the subject sobered that up right quick. loving hell.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

Also I loving adore Uncle George, please don't hurt him!

I thought he was a goner like 3 times in the woods, really happy he made it out alive!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Xealot posted:

I'm also very worried for Uncle George. He's introduced in a happy marriage and is way too kind and paternal NOT to die horribly just to raise the stakes.

Oh God. Oh gently caress, he told his wife next time he should take her along.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Collateral posted:

The bar dude getting a bj out back was a reference to James Baldwin right? That speech was good, shame about the audience.

Props to that dude for quickest recovery from Fellatio Interrupto I've ever seen

on TV I mean

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I agree with your points about the dialogue. I did appreciate the moment when Atticus doesn't get smart when the cop humiliates him for being allowed a U-turn. It was really painful, but it would've been easy to have him either twist it around on the cop, action hero style, or deliver it super angrily.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Jeepers, this show moves fast. I was not expecting them to find Tick's dad and blow up what turned out to be a wizard cult by episode 2, but I guess there's more to see and tell.

I feel like the conclusions that 1) Tick's dad was kept in the tower and 2) Tick was related to the Order's originator were drawn lightning fast, but I didn't mind, the show has a pleasantly manic feel at times.

Risky showing a character die that early and come back, though I'm very happy they did for Letitia - though I don't expect there's any more for Uncle George. RIP, you were the best.

All in all still really enjoying the show. The use of songs is fantastic.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

V:shobon:V

I like the weirdness of it, I think it helps if you haven't heard the songs before.

The Handmaid's Tale turned it into a very obvious crutch, I hope this won't. And while I thought the sarcastic poem over the portal scene was a wild choice, it did make it harder to focus on what was happening.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, that was very jarring.

AAAAAHHHHHIIII just remembered some big revelation about your past.

edit: actually, they weren't screaming. But it was still weird how they skipped any sort of doubt or "huh, that's eerily coincidental" and skipped straight to Atticus's heritage being cleared up.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 28, 2020

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I feel like this episode gave me a clearer idea of the anthology style of the show. Fun episode and Lettie really got to let loose in this one. Love her.

The baby-headed basketball player was kind of ridiculous but seemed intended to be creepy. Was the idea that Winthorpe had turned him into that with magic? I think I missed a bit of plot, was loving around with an unresponsive set of bluetooth headphones.

It was nice to have some payoff at the end, but I'm finding myself almost wanting to switch off when powerless black people get terrorized by white folk and cops now. When it's on the news every day, I kind of want to escape it in fiction (yeah I know, that's lovely)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
So the implication is Montrose is gay, in which case Tic will have to come to grips with that?

Again a fun episode of a whole 'nother genre, though Jesus, things went fast again at the end. Character introduced (they seemed to have two sets of genitalia next to each other, which I think barring some absorbed-twin scenario is not a real thing?), "turned into a siren," and then killed. Honestly not sure what to think of that.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nemo posted:

I just saw the names of the coming episodes

Time traveling back to Tulsa basically confirmed. Following up on watchmen's episode is gonna be tough.

Can anyone remind me of the "sissy" comment that was discussed? I don't remember it on episode 4.

Tree 'apologizes' to Tic for sending him to the back of the club in episode 1 when he knew the owner was there getting a blowjob, then says something like "I thought you might appreciate it" to which Tic distractedly says "I ain't no sissy"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
What did Tic say right before attacking Montrose? I listened to it three or four times, but couldn't make it out.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Jesus, Aunjanue Ellis (Hippolyta) really brung it this episode. Goddamn bonkers.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I love what Jonathan Majors does as Tic. Very physical expressions of love and anger issues, in both his face and movements.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Anonymous Zebra posted:

So, something fun was that The Book of Names was never something white people had in the first place. Episode 4 essentially says that Titus found the book on one of his colonial expeditions, and likely stole it from a native population.

I did notice Lettie throwing some clicks in there when she read the spell. Pretty cool.

I was not expecting such a definitive ending to this show. So many shows just end up teasing more over and over. Having Jioh realizing her part at the critical moment was a little cheesy, but overall a fun finale - though I do feel there's plenty more you can do with these characters.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I don't know how the creators intended it, but to me it did feel like something dark and disturbing, to show how Dee was changed by all the poo poo that happened to her, despite her family's efforts to save her (and because of how much they failed to protect her)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Onomarchus posted:

Station

lol, that's going to stick in my mind.

Interesting idea that magic might just no longer work for anyone who self-identifies as white, actually. It'd be hard to convince yourself you're not.

edit: unless you're Rachel Dolezal

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 23, 2020