Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I mean LOL at the Jeffersons theme but it's another distracting instance of non-period music (he types, over=concerned about immersion in this show about wizards and monsters).

I'm interested to see The Dag from Fury Road in something else, but I'm not sure why they went with the [WARNING--BOOK ISSUES:] gender swap for Braithewhite the younger when it added one more complication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Flimf posted:

Is this real? thats terrible.

It's never actually said, but strongly implied. Atticus describes them as "blobs covered with eyes," which doesn't fit their show appearance--though they do have a lot of eyes, and they do make the fluting noise described in At The Mountains of Madness

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Are they intentionally doing a different subgenre each episode?

A cabin in the monster-infested woods

Spooky cult mansion

Haunted house

It's based on a book, right? Is Chapter IV a Texas Chainsaw Massacre or a Child's Play homage?

I dunno how much Book Chat we want in the TV thread, but based on the previews, we're not going in book order any more.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The novel was written by a white dude? That's a bummer

Take heart then, it's spiraling way off the book by this point.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

s1e4: Hello, trans character! Oh. Goodbye, trans character.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Gordon Shumway posted:

Was she supposed to be transgender? I thought she was a hermaphrodite, and they were doing a Native American third gender thing with her "knowing two worlds" or however she put it.

On another gender related subject, they keep making a big deal out of the fact Christina Braithwaite can never be like the other cultists in that she's a woman and is therefore instantly considered inferior. I noticed that she went in the house and that blonde guy William immediately came out, and started to wonder if the two of them had been on screen together yet and if they might be one in the same.

My understanding of the Two-Spirit thing is that it was used in the same way that we'd use "gender-nonconforming" or "non-binary" today, but yes, the character was clearly intersexed.

And they've been playing coy with Christina/William before, but I think that scene was our confirmation that you're correct.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ballz posted:

I noticed that right away too, mostly because I recognized the actress from The Deuce. Gonna make for an awkward reunion when Tic and Leti inevitably run into Heather Davenport!

Edit: So have the police been investigating all these reports of random masses of blood and flesh of white women scattered throughout the southside? I feel like that sort of thing would draw the interest of law enforcement.

Especially since Ruby essentially performed for a witness.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I have to admit I was surprised it didn't dovetail into the end of the previous ep.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It was odd that they set the happenings in Korea toward the beginning of the war, when everything was in panic retreat towards Pusan, rather than later when it had stalemated down.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I've already learned to dissociate everything in the book from what the show is doing, but even with my expectations adjusted I was still surprised to see Garnet from Steven Universe show up.

Once again, a good episode let down by the bizarre music choices.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

radlum posted:

I know little of the Korean War so can someone tell me if any of it was fought in trenches like the one we saw in Atticus fantasy on the pilot?

I don't think those were meant to be Korea.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

Also, was there any historical basis in black women in the 1800s banding together in a Native American-style camp while wearing Amazonian armor and then fighting Confederates who don't like actually using their guns or... what? I guess that was a multi-verse universe where that happens?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahomey_Amazons

e:f,b

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

Still was super dumb that the men attacking them didn't shoot, they just charged them with swords.

Yes, but Dahomey amazons had firearms of their own, so I'm willing to concede artistic license that that part of the skirmish was over.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

anothergod posted:

Are people always concerned about having likeable heroes? I generally feel like most TV I've watched for a while has heroes w/ obvious flaws that are overcome by likeability. Tic seems like completely the opposite. He's very likeable up front but his flaws eat away at that. I feel like that is intentional.

Protagonists have to be at a minimum either interesting or sympathetic.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I was spanked exactly once, for lying.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

radlum posted:

To be fair, I don't think the book did that either. The whole "Lovecraft" thing in both the book and the series is so tenous that I guess the author just wanted a cool name.

It's pretty clear what the connection is to me, anyway--not Lovecraft's works, beyond the broadest themes of "people loving with the supernatural and regretting it," but racism in New England. Atticus crosses the Mason-Dixon line and feels relief that he shouldn't, because he's no safer. He's in "Lovecraft Country" and every hand is still turned against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm not really comfortable with Diana's part in this being to kill a powerless and defeated enemy, for a couple of reasons, no matter how cool her cyborg arm was. It was presented as this big "gently caress YEAH" comeuppance moment, but it sure didn't feel like it.