Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Birdman
Oct 21, 2012

Gordon Shumway posted:

Was she supposed to be transgender? I thought she was a hermaphrodite, and they were doing a Native American third gender thing with her "knowing two worlds" or however she put it.

She refers to herself as "two-spirit", which is kind of like an umbrella term that encompasses what other cultures we'd call "transgender" or "intersex." They can also consider themselves one of those groups, but like, not every indigenous person is comfortable w that due to colonialism being a motherfucker.

Anyhow, everything about her treatment is really my exit point for this show, wow. I already thought a lot of the writing was lackluster but oof. Introducing her nude, with "what are you?" (i know there's magic bullshit everywhere but for real, you don't think this implication through?) Tic punching her in the face. And while I suspect it won't be a death that sticks, she doesn't even make it out of the episode without a slit throat. Aaaand the actress is cis, unless I'm misinformed somehow. As a trans person myself it was extremely jarring and disgusting. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Birdman
Oct 21, 2012

Augh okay, I know I said I was out, but morbid curiosity had me watch 5 while I worked to see how the Yahima fallout was handled.

I wish this show just didn't touch queer topics at all, tbh, I think it'd be better for it. The story editing leaning on sudden disorienting jumps in time would still be frustrating, but not in the same painful way as the LGBT content puts me on edge. It feels really oddly thoughtless. Why was Yahima even in this show? The pages are more important to Tic this episode. She wasn't the reason for throwing the punch. :/ Either Ruby or Montrose's plotlines maybe should have been their own episodes- Ruby's seems complete, but the Montrose part is so rushed.. I wish he had any dialogue to have a glimpse into his head about things. The silent acting isn't really cutting it for me.

Probably it's unintentional, but man... the juxtapositions of gender non-conformity (yahima, christina/william, the drag queens mostly feel like props for Montrose tbh) and anal penetration (montrose/sammy, and ruby and the manager) have just the skeeviest vibes to me.

This show is really willing to not beat around the bush and deal with tropes about Black people in media head on, but the way it steps on a rake about the ways queer people are handled in subtext just suuuuucks. It's a big distraction from what the show was actually handling well in episode one.

Harvey Birdman
Oct 21, 2012

Solvent posted:

I’m guessing Yahima will be back.

That was definitely my initial suspicion but it's still super weird how uninterested this episode is in her.