Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

double negative posted:

I won’t pretend like I know much about this, and honestly I usually don’t even notice it, but for some reason the score of the first episode felt real off to me, just kinda corny, idk. Enjoyed pretty much everything else, though

The dialogue is really punched up and quippy and not in a pulp way but in like a Marvel movie way or a CBS drama way. I think the most egregious was the uncle rattling off Dracula quotes a second after narrowly escaping death but almost every exchange has some reference or joke or burn and it not only feels really artificial but also makes it hard for any one character to really have a distinctive voice. It also makes for some really bad exposition, like Atticus making a shoggoth joke for no reason other than so the show can have him explain what one is to the audience right before they actually show up.

Atticus in general kind of annoys me, making him a huge nerd who just happens to be swole and badass thanks to being in the military feels too transparently like an attempt to make a traditional leading man that wouldn't be too threatening or hard to relate to for the book readers out there and it's already lead to way too much of him explaining Lovecraft references for the sake of the audience and generally making sure that everyone Gets It.

I'm sold enough on the show to watch this season unless there's some major missteps so I'm interested in seeing how it all shakes out. One thing I really appreciated about the show was that it didn't do the usual TV thing of adding a white character to a story about black Americans to avoid alienating white viewers so I'm really hoping they stick the landing with the white lady who saved them during the car chase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Madurai posted:

I mean LOL at the Jeffersons theme but it's another distracting instance of non-period music (he types, over=concerned about immersion in this show about wizards and monsters).

The anachronistic music doesn't feel particularly thought out or considered, it's like they're just doing it to be cool because it was so popular in Westworld. Same with them just randomly killing off main characters like Game of Thrones, only with added lack of stakes because we already know they can effectively bring people back from the dead and also anything we see could just be a magic hologram.

So far this show feels like it's everything people incorrectly accused Watchmen of being, and I'm really hoping that they pull up.

That Italian Guy posted:

I love how Peele manages to put this kind of comedy in his horror work. That scene had me laughing out loud for good.

Jordan Peele is just a producer on this show, he didn't actually write or direct anything. It's like crediting Danny DeVito for Pulp Fiction or Mel Brooks for The Elephant Man.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mameluke posted:

I know that it's partly because it's based on an episodic anthology book, but I was stunned at how Vampire Diaries fast they rushed through gimmicks here. Witches, doppelgangers, shoggoth-summoning, tesla coils, ancient bloodline guff, all swept back off the table as quickly as they were introduced? Just going off the Wikipedia...what the hell is the other 80% of the season gonna be!?

Yeah, introducing both the ability to erase memories and the ability to bring people back from the dead in episode two is the kind of line in the sand a show has to be pretty confident in itself to draw. I'm hoping it delivers.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
was anyone else distracted by how the dude at the mansion was basically a human version of Raymond from the new Animal Crossing

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Yeah this episode is the one that made me bail on this show. The beginning was so abrupt and so disconnected from the first two episodes I thought it was supposed to be a flashback for a while, and for a show that seemed to start leaning hard into the audience being knowledgeable of horror tropes and both referencing and actively challenging them this was a really generic haunted house story that didn't do anything interesting or surprising. And the show's glossy production values really hurt the visuals in this, I could see how the visuals could have been spooky if done differently and more subtley but they're so intent on making sure you see all the money on the screen that it turns something like seeing a spooky hidden image in some photos I to a giant cartoon head jumping out and screaming boo just to make sure you Get It.

There were multiple times in this episode that I was laughing out loud in ways the creators probably didn't intend, but regardless I can't enjoy this is in the way I can enjoy an American Horror Story because the constant references and portrayal of real world hate crimes are too heavy for me to like it as some cheesy goofy fun. It almost feels like a disservice to evoke and portray such evil in the service of something as mediocre as this.

AtraMorS posted:

They are all doing the same subgenre: Lovecraftian horror.

This episode was Lovecraftian in the sense that Sharknado is a Spielbergian film because it has a shark in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I just realized that the final reveal of the episode basically completely validates the racist cop's suspicions and that he was totally right about someone putting them up to buying that house even if they themselves didn't realize it. Big ol' yikes to that.