Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

mary had a little clam posted:

drat, episode 5 was awesome. Just weird and gross with great body horror but also, I was genuinely moved by Montrose at the drag show. I found that really lovely and , at least for this episode, I'm glad we didn't fall back on the trope of a self-loathing closeted queer beating the poo poo out of someone they are in love with. Beyond the sexy character stuff, I'm extremely curious as to what this is all leading towards.

Also, can we get a moratorium on people complaining about the soundtrack? Yes, it's on the nose, yes, that's a choice, it should be obvious by now this is what the show is so like... let's move on. At this point it's like complaining there's too much mobster drama in the Sopranos.

One actually pertinent criticism I have though is the climax of the Davenport saga: I felt like they played the rape of a male for "poetic justice" which, yeah the guy is a racist creep and probably a rapist himself, but rape as justice doesn't sit well with me. Unless we're not meant to think she was sodomizing the manager with a shoe, but that's how I parsed it.

That scene is perfect just because of how people read that scene. It was stupidly gratuitous and obscene and absurd, but that is so perfect and that is the point. The editing is weird between scenes though sometimes

Mameluke posted:

Yeah Montrose sucks. Like it's nice that Michael K Williams got paid to hang out with some drag queens and wear a big bruise appliance but he just sucks the air out of the screen. Give me schlock or horror, not "oh woo the violent old man is sad cause he's Got Such Issues"

IMO it speaks to transgenerational trauma, a big important thing and part of understanding things like how we pass on abuse and trauma to our children. One of the crazy things I've been thinking, have the only shades of brown in between black and white been the alien phone princess in ep one and the native undead two spirit person? If true interesting discussion to be had on the erasure of certain peoples in the conversation surrounding racism, and homophobia.

We're really going to need some sex worker commentary soon so I can hit my bingo card though.

breadnsucc fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Solvent posted:

Yeah, this is definitely a good point, I think I'm just so out of it on Sunday nights during that wind down TV time that I let a lot of it slip by.

its the worst part of the show unless it has some secret purpose tbd and even then its a lame way to do a plot to cut out story stuff and then have everyone spend the first ten minutes talking about what happened between episodes