Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm kind of torn on the gay thing, because black people are especially problematic towards homosexuality and trans issues, worse and worse the further back you get in time (NOBODY was gay in inner city black schools in the 80's/90s apparently to avoid getting beat down or worse) - and a show about black people in earlier time periods should definitely include that.

There's kind of dual issue where some gay people are tired of self hating/violent gay tropes, but then you can't talk about the black "community" and gayness without talking about how ridiculously horrible it has historically been towards sexuality due to a mix of lower income - inner city toxic masculinity combined with a huge Southern Protestant background via slavery and the effects on a person due to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Vorgen posted:

I never expected to see such an ... accurate depiction of Korea life and culture in an American TV show. I've lived in Korea for 16 years now and the plot, characters, events, and even clothing and set design match up almost perfectly with everything I understand about Korea. The hard-rear end mother and the devoted daughter is even a common literary string plucked in Korean writing. Whoever wrote this episode had a comprehensive, in-depth understanding of Korean culture that I've only ever seen in Korean movies before. That alone was quite frankly amazing. It wasn't Chinese pretending to be Korean, and it wasn't Japanese pretending to be Korean either (LOST!). It was the real deal.

The only thing that I had doubts about was the speed dating scene and the talk about "mee-ting" as a dating concept. That's relatively recent in Korean culture, so recent that I've seen it go from a scandalous and hush-hush topic to normalized in just the time I've lived here. Of course I've also gone from a 20-something to a 40-something and gone from the provinces to the capital during that time so there may be geographic and age factors involved in that perspective as well. But I mean a little over 10 years ago I remember going to a house party and when I left the older man security guard of the building was asking us if the event was speed dating event, showing undue concern because if it is he was going to have to shut it down. For it to be so scandalous in the 2000s and also a practice in the 1950s doesn't seem to match up with what I understand of the culture.

And I never thought about the implications of a nine-tailed fox having nine tails before this episode. Is it simply a coincidence that there are 9 orifices in the human body? I, uh... have to do some more research.

My roomate is Korean and absolutely loved that episode so I somewhat get it, I think.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Oh I know, but look of "Daddy just hit me!?" was heartbreaking and I can't imagine how anyone could consciously do it to a child.

I was spanked ridiculously, with belts bare assed full force up to like 60 times, switches, etc. by my father, mother, grandmother, etc. Raised in the 80s in a black family, and it was something passed down generationally from the South.