Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

hamsystem posted:

I was worried about uncle George and his bad knees for a little bit. When transforming cop ate other cops face I did audibly laugh though.
Throughout the whole episode he was raising so many death flags that I thought they were going to kill him off right away just to set the stakes for the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Gordon Shumway posted:

Was she supposed to be transgender? I thought she was a hermaphrodite, and they were doing a Native American third gender thing with her "knowing two worlds" or however she put it.

On another gender related subject, they keep making a big deal out of the fact Christina Braithwaite can never be like the other cultists in that she's a woman and is therefore instantly considered inferior. I noticed that she went in the house and that blonde guy William immediately came out, and started to wonder if the two of them had been on screen together yet and if they might be one in the same.
Yeah, had the same thought on both spoilers.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Might have been better if they softened his actions by putting him in a situation like Yahima was hanging on a ledge or going to drown during the escape and he just didn't save them.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Bismuth posted:

Yeah its not the actor's fault, I think he's doing exactly what the writers/directors want, and doing a good job. Its just the content they're giving him is a huge loving drag.
Lol, this just made me compare his LC character to him playing Omar in The Wire. Omar was also gay and did a ton of shady poo poo but had a pretty decent moral code.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Really didn’t like what Tic did in this ep. Kinda ruins the show a bit for me now. Montrose was one thing, but he’s not the protagonist who we’re supposed to be rooting for. I don’t really give a poo poo about Tic now.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Dude was a Private. Torturing a spy wasn't considered to be a war crime in the 50s. He wasn't planning the war crimes and would have faced repercussions if he didn't participate in the war crimes.

This doesn't justify his actions, but it does help explain it. He is clearly dealing with the trauma of what he did in the war and on a different planet than Montrose.
Uhhh, did you miss the part where he shot a begging innocent nurse who wasn’t a spy in the head?

They really should have had him refuse and have his gun taken from him or something (to then shoot the woman), maybe then even have his war injuries be from his fellow soldiers.

The fact they had him defend himself with the tired old “just following orders” poo poo is disgusting.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 22, 2020

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

anothergod posted:

One of my rationalizations for the consistently anachronistic soundtrack is to bring the horrible, horrible past into view from a very forward oriented mindset.

The horror in this show isn't spooky atmosphere and jump scares. It's finding out you liked someone who is a horrible person. I am loving stunned by how many people can't handle a flawed character. Did no one else have to read Chaucer or any of the other (few) books I did?

^^^^

Btw, did anyone else catch Atticus' lies in the flashback? Dude definitely lied to Jiah about being a virgin. I think there's more in there, but IDK. Kinda weird? IDK. Now that Leti is the last remaining protagonist that isn't tainted, I am really hoping she's not the "girl who everyone assumes is lovely but is actually a good girl virgin".
Uh, I think it was showing flashbacks, then showing his future, where he then slept with women (may even have been a shot of Leti). I don’t think he was lying about the virgin thing.

Nah, they ruined Tic. You can’t say he had a complicated past and have it be that dark as just killing civilians for no reason. That’s hosed up.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I feel like I'm moving in the opposite direction of this thread because I thought last night's episode went super off the rails bad. Like, the show continues to ride the shlock and "thinking it's a smart show" fence too much and fails at both. Hippolyta doing all these silly Myst puzzles that only sound smart to a stupid person (ohhh, calculate the mass/velocity on the planet's axis, then account for the Shwartzkampf equation, blah blah blah) and throwing that drat meme of the formulas floating in front of her was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Also, was there any historical basis in black women in the 1800s banding together in a Native American-style camp while wearing Amazonian armor and then fighting Confederates who don't like actually using their guns or... what? I guess that was a multi-verse universe where that happens?

I hate the show's continual trashing of Tic's character more and more with his added homophobia this episode. YES, I KNOW IT'S TIED UP WITH HIS ABUSE BY HIS FATHER, but still.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 30, 2020

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Still was super dumb that the men attacking them didn't shoot, they just charged them with swords.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The only reason I'd be mad at the father who attempted to beat homosexuality out of me secretly being gay the whole time is homophobia.
So then have him use the word hypocrite, not drop the gay F-bomb.
My read on his character the way it was written/shot was like he was angry 50/50 because the father was gay AND lying to him.

...and all the responses after will be flooding in about how it just makes Tic flawed or how it was accurate to the time period... based on what I read about the book, none of this plot was there (war crimes/gay dad), it's made up completely for the show, so it's all on the showrunners for these choices.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Okay, listen guys, I complained about the last few episodes turning me off of the show.

But this episode was top notch and brought me back. BTW, the sex scene gore was some of the best special effects I’ve seen in a long time. My jaw was on the floor as to how they even thought up that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

radlum posted:

Yeah, Ji-Ah traveled all the way to the USA to warn Tic and he just shouts at her and treats her poorly (though I don't get why was Leti upset as well, did Tic ever say that he hadn't dated anyone before her or something like that?); I'll be sad if that's the last we see of her on the series.
Yeah... and all she saw was that he was like strapped to something, I think?
And the thing that frightened him was that he was translating the symbols and they spelled DIE or something and that was enough to ask her "How did you know???"

This whole death vision thing is a bit clunky.