Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Jaded Burnout posted:

Hmm, good to know, thanks.

:eyepop:

Aww dang ya got me lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Spent 8 hours just cleaning and organizing and doing small projects trying to get parts in their forever home.

Corner of the house is held down by more than tapcons now, this was loving stupid and I should have just poured that level with the rest of the wall. Tension anchor in a good place.

Obscurement film on the bathroom window. I am bad at stuff like this, but I need to switch it for a more opaque film later anyway, or hide it with a curtain.

Check out this giant fuckin' root running under my house.

E: that chunk of new subfloor is ripped out because I'm stupid and dropped the upper half a wall on it, smashing it.

Sistered this joist, I should've blocked it up better before I cut it, I had to jack the part under the new floor back to level, not too much of an issue with my large array of jacks.

Tidy, stairs and the rest of the old floor coming out this weekend, also need to do some plumbing.

E: look above that (level) door header to check out how badly out of level the ceiling is.

Bought Jules a bed for his house. He doesn't like it.

Cleaning suuuuucks.

E:
Got a good full moon last night

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 30, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Something weird I just confirmed, there's a strange periodic buzzing in the house. I just confirmed that it's the booster pump that pumps water from the street to the 5 other served properties and my house vibrating the pipes.

I don't know how the gently caress that's possible considering it's over 100' from the house, and the pipe is obviously buried.

Picture with cars for scale, blue is the water line.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Elviscat posted:

Something weird I just confirmed, there's a strange periodic buzzing in the house. I just confirmed that it's the booster pump that pumps water from the street to the 5 other served properties and my house vibrating the pipes.

I don't know how the gently caress that's possible considering it's over 100' from the house, and the pipe is obviously buried.

Picture with cars for scale, blue is the water line.

Given the rigid connection necessary not to leak water, pipe vibrations can really travel. The moment our upper-level zone circulator pump started to go, the radiators on the second floor began resonating like you wouldn't believe, far worse than the buzz in the pump itself.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm guessing it's a transformer or switchgear vibrating from the current draw, or possibly the pressure variation from the pump impeller is making it all the way up the pipe into the house (since water is incompressible, this doesn't take much) and making piping shake.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Given the rigid connection necessary not to leak water, pipe vibrations can really travel. The moment our upper-level zone circulator pump started to go, the radiators on the second floor began resonating like you wouldn't believe, far worse than the buzz in the pump itself.

They are all steel, but it still blows my mind, I'm familiar with the principles of pump and flow noise damping, and the two ways to do it are to use flexible elements, and to add mass to the system, and it's hard to add more mass than burying a line under tons of soil (and an 80' tall fir tree).

I'm really curious to see if when I replace the initial part of this piping run with properly supported PEX if it goes away (there's like 25' of completely unsupported 1/2" galvanized acting as a huge resonator).

Eventually when I have the spare cash I plan on having a seperate 3/4" water service put in to this house so I can abandon the 70ish year old system to the property that owns the easement for it through my property, and wash my hands of that massive liability.

This whole poo poo show dates back to the 50's, when this property was split up, this house had that open bore well I just made a new cover for, and that fed all the other properties, during the early 2000's housing boom a nearby city annexed a few thousand acres of land across the street from me, and ran water and sewer up the street to feed new developments being put in, and a new 1½" line from the city was incompetently hacked into the existing, already poorly built, system (I had it located, it runs as close as 4" below grade in some spots).

Sometime soon that galvanized pipe is going to corrode away, and the repair fees are going to be well into 5 digit territory, and I want no part in that. My neighbors are ineligible for their own water lines because their properties don't touch the street the city has water in.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

I'm guessing it's a transformer or switchgear vibrating from the current draw, or possibly the pressure variation from the pump impeller is making it all the way up the pipe into the house (since water is incompressible, this doesn't take much) and making piping shake.

Essentially incompressible, as I've had drilled into my head so many times :v: it's probably that very small amount of compressibility that's making the pipes vibrate internally from pressure fluctuations.

Power is a drop from the same polemount 1ø transformer I'm fed from. I'll take a picture of the pump house and equipment tomorrow, it's, uh, really something. Pump is a three stage centrifugal well pump powered by a 1Ø 4hp motor.

Awhile ago my roomates accidentally let the water bill lapse, and the city turned the water off, the owner of the easement had the same company that drilled your well come out to troubleshoot, and they ended up replacing the perfectly good pump, then re-replacing it, and then charged my roomates a couple grand for the privilege. It's a shame I was traveling for work at the time since troubleshooting pumps is literally my job, and I know that step 1 is "does the pump have suction pressure" not "gently caress it, replace the pump"

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 30, 2021

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Also, have you considered this might all be just another facet of the curse that is your home? You might need a priest or a shaman, not flexible elements?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Also, have you considered this might all be just another facet of the curse that is your home? You might need a priest or a shaman, not flexible elements?

That's a solid plan :v:

The amazing pump house.

Service drop

Unfused, unprotected conductors running through the garbage (that typo's staying)

A master work of construction.

The inside, note the, uh, everything, the masterful electric connection, the insulation ripped apart by mice, the mix of PVC and steel, the general horror movie aesthetic.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
So uh, who's saddled with the responsibility for that trash shack?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The whole water system, and access to it is eased to my neighbor, so hopefully him!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Elviscat posted:

not too much of an issue with my large array of jacks.

This phrase hit my train of thought like a speed bump (what a wonderful mixed metaphor).

I know very few non-gearheads who have a jack.

I know no one who can say “large array” when it comes to their jack collection.

How and why does one have enough jacks that “large array” becomes an adequate descriptor?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

They're from jacking up the front wall of the house, all told I have 4 4 ton and 3 20 ton bottles, and a 1 ton and 3 ton car jacks, all of which were used to jack up the front of the house, which looking back I didn't document very well.

Elviscat posted:

Jacking begins again, we sistered all the joists, jacking went ok, lots of pressure on the 20 ton bottles, I think we're going to do another round with the big jacks, we got the house pretty level, but once we removed the jacks it settled back about 1" onto the, uh cribing in places.

Before jacking:

We exerted a lot of pressure.

Our cribbing method probably isn't the best, but 2x4s are a million dollars a piece, and we spent 8 hours loving around with the other stuff, soooooooo

Don't judge, it's an authentic period-correct construction method.

E: I'm excited to get those alder rounds back out, I didn't properly tarp my firewood before the rainy season so I could use some nice dry stuff.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 30, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well it's not burned down exactly. But more of it's burned.

Wait, poo poo, how am I supposed to get upstairs now?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I bet that insulation went up quick.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

StormDrain posted:

I bet that insulation went up quick.

Nonono.

I'm replacing the old, non-insulated stairs with new, shiny super insulated ones, jeeze.

So I was trying to get some temp plumbing rigged up so I could poo poo and stuff, I'm gronking a fitting on upstream of the shutoff valve and I hear hissing, look behind me and water's hitting the loving ceiling.

Which is, in general, bad, especially when the first isolation for the house is in your loving hand, and shut. I can't turn the water off without disrupting service to my 5 neighbors.

So I knotted a bunch of rags around it, in true submarine damage control fashion, slowing the leak to a trickle, and rushed to get to Lowe's before closing.

And I came up with this chucklefucked arrangement, since while Lowe's website says they have 5 galvanized 3/4 compression couplings, they loving don't.

You can also see my awesome initial response off to the left.

Hole, right next to where I snapped a line off when I dropped a wall on it.

Looks like that joint was dribbling on the unprotected threads.

With that in hand I did a beautiful and professional job running the PEX and called it a night, I think that's good enough to be permanent.

My $35 Amazon special pipe threader actually works a treat, it cuts easily, ratchet mechanism works well, teeth are aligned correctly, taper is correct, A++ tool for the small number of pipes I'll have to thread before all the galvy is gone.

Before and after pictures from my Sister-in-law's phone that has a fish-eye lens.

Safety in mind for my temp method of getting upstairs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
At least it looks like you'll be able to actually put new first floor joists in properly and nice and level soon.

Holy poo poo. Honestly this is what I should have done to my house but didn't. Making good time, dude.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Wow.

I think Lowe's being short on 5 fittings you need is more nightmare fuel than most of the other parts of the project.

Also, on the Dewalt tools - I just bought the 20v handheld wet/dry vac because my toddler produces crumbs at an ASTOUNDING rate. Anyway, it's a great little unit if you find you need to clean poo poo up but can't haul a full shopvac around. I was surprised it worked at wet too, but that's not my current use case.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

At least it looks like you'll be able to actually put new first floor joists in properly and nice and level soon.

Holy poo poo. Honestly this is what I should have done to my house but didn't. Making good time, dude.

I still wish I had committed more sooner, but thanks man means a lot coming from you. I hope I have half the quality your place does when I'm through.

Alarbus posted:

Wow.

I think Lowe's being short on 5 fittings you need is more nightmare fuel than most of the other parts of the project.

Also, on the Dewalt tools - I just bought the 20v handheld wet/dry vac because my toddler produces crumbs at an ASTOUNDING rate. Anyway, it's a great little unit if you find you need to clean poo poo up but can't haul a full shopvac around. I was surprised it worked at wet too, but that's not my current use case.

I dread the plumbing, the reason Lowes is short those parts is they're cannibalizing their plumbing section for bath fixtures.

Thanks for the tip, if I see one of those for a good price I'll pick it up, looks like a dust buster on steroids.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to take measurements, and there's a demon waiting for me to feed it in habitability bubble #2

E:
ENHANCE

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 2, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elviscat posted:

They're from jacking up the front wall of the house, all told I have 4 4 ton and 3 20 ton bottles, and a 1 ton and 3 ton car jacks, all of which were used to jack up the front of the house, which looking back I didn't document very well.

A friend of mine has a similar array from straightening up the handy-Andy-built garage on his property.
Some highlights: The slab has no reinforcement whatsoever. It has cracked down the center, and we curt out a big triangle shaped bit at the vehicle door to pour an actually flat spot for the door to close on (previously, it had hand built double doors. That had been opened and an industrial cooler door slapped on top to make a porch of sorts, for some reason, and another wall built up with a man-door in it at the opening.) The walls had rotted out at the bottom due to soil building up and/or the slab sinking, so the walls had spread and fallen off of the slab. Ideally, the garage should have been razed and rebuilt, but permitting would have been problematic given the rest of his property, so it was remodeled instead. Garage of Theseus. He jacked up the walls using beams added partway up the wall, cut off the bottom of the wall and sistered in a new footer and lower bit. He also had to sister and reinforce most of the roof rafters and such, since they *didn't* use 10' board, but pieced together beams, poorly (natch.) The roof line is hilariously meandering, but it's now solid and dry.
Even better, the house has been added onto in a similar way, from scraps and random crap. He's been working on fixing all that for years, mainly just to keep the place dry, and from falling apart around him. Bumbass decided to "retire" and then ran mostly out of money, so it's slow going. This is the guy who bought my Jeep, and then attracted every lovely driver to hit him somehow. He's an... interesting fellow. He's very thorough and does good work, though. He's the reason my shed is probably built better than my house.

Elviscat posted:

Well it's not burned down exactly. But more of it's burned.

Wait, poo poo, how am I supposed to get upstairs now?

You are no longer protected?

Elviscat posted:

Nonono.

I'm replacing the old, non-insulated stairs with new, shiny super insulated ones, jeeze.

Ah, good.

Elviscat posted:

I dread the plumbing, the reason Lowes is short those parts is they're cannibalizing their plumbing section for bath fixtures.

I hate hate hate plumbing. The potential for disaster is just insanely high. Water always wins.

edit: plumbing so far has cost me more than anything else in my house, including the roof. Mainly the parts I can't do myself (LOTS of digging, as you may have seen in 2019.)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Darchangel posted:

I hate hate hate plumbing. The potential for disaster is just insanely high. Water always wins.

edit: plumbing so far has cost me more than anything else in my house, including the roof. Mainly the parts I can't do myself (LOTS of digging, as you may have seen in 2019.)

Plumbing, along with electrical, is one of those things where I don't trust myself to do more than temporary basics without adult supervision, and so I tend to get someone in to do it. Plus it's probably illegal to do even as little as I do without certifications.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

Plumbing, along with electrical, is one of those things where I don't trust myself to do more than temporary basics without adult supervision, and so I tend to get someone in to do it. Plus it's probably illegal to do even as little as I do without certifications.

I did get someone else to do it. That's why it cost so much. :shepicide:

edit: but I'm not worried it was done right, either...

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Darchangel posted:

A friend of mine has a similar array from straightening up the handy-Andy-built garage on his property.
Some highlights: The slab has no reinforcement whatsoever. It has cracked down the center, and we curt out a big triangle shaped bit at the vehicle door to pour an actually flat spot for the door to close on (previously, it had hand built double doors. That had been opened and an industrial cooler door slapped on top to make a porch of sorts, for some reason, and another wall built up with a man-door in it at the opening.) The walls had rotted out at the bottom due to soil building up and/or the slab sinking, so the walls had spread and fallen off of the slab. Ideally, the garage should have been razed and rebuilt, but permitting would have been problematic given the rest of his property, so it was remodeled instead. Garage of Theseus. He jacked up the walls using beams added partway up the wall, cut off the bottom of the wall and sistered in a new footer and lower bit. He also had to sister and reinforce most of the roof rafters and such, since they *didn't* use 10' board, but pieced together beams, poorly (natch.) The roof line is hilariously meandering, but it's now solid and dry.
Even better, the house has been added onto in a similar way, from scraps and random crap. He's been working on fixing all that for years, mainly just to keep the place dry, and from falling apart around him. Bumbass decided to "retire" and then ran mostly out of money, so it's slow going. This is the guy who bought my Jeep, and then attracted every lovely driver to hit him somehow. He's an... interesting fellow. He's very thorough and does good work, though. He's the reason my shed is probably built better than my house.

You are no longer protected?

Ah, good.

That's what I'd have to do to remodel this shitpit garage, the slab is cracked to gently caress, and even better the sill plates are sunk into the slab so they're rotted to gently caress.

I'd have to "remodel" it to keep a structure there too, since it's too close for modern setbacks.

It's getting replaced with a modern structure and loving bulldozed though, gently caress that thing.

I keep telling myself I can figure out home plumbing since I work on fluid and piping systems for a living, but it never seems to go right when I do :v:.

I've sweated some medium size projects together in the past, but now I think PEX is honestly just as good, way cheaper, and way easier.

Floor is mostly out, removing it sucks, lots of arduous cutting.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I've gotten home from work twice now, and sprinted up the ladder to take a poo poo, realized that the upstairs toilet would flush directly into the first floor, and probably spray all over the panel, and had to clamber back down to use the perfectly functional, and in fact much nicer, downstairs toilet I just ran past.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Elviscat posted:

I've sweated some medium size projects together in the past, but now I think PEX is honestly just as good, way cheaper, and way easier.

There's never any reason not to use PEX, in my experience, except if it's something visible, like in a basement along the walls/ceiling or along a bathroom wall if you don't have space to sink it into the walls. It lasts better than anything metal, you can bend it around corners, you can shorten it without needing to gently caress around cutting new threading, you can run like fifty meters of it with no loving around fitting together shorter parts. Wonderful.

Once it's visible, Alu-PEX is definitely my favourite material, but copper or steel piping with cinched fittings is also acceptable. Sadly cinch-fitting alu-pex, steel and copper requires special tools that you might not be able to easily rent and which would be a big expenditure for just doing DIY stuff.

In that case I guess there's always copper solder fittings instead, but I always have trouble trusting those entirely and in some cases you might not have the space to safely gently caress around with an open flame.

Working with galvanized or black steel pipes is the sort of thing I'd only ever do if it was what was already there, though, for the sake of continuing a look or being sure I didn't cause any galvanic corrosion by mixing materials.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

If I ever have to run anything new, it'll be pex all the way, every day.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Same. I did sweated copper for most of my place, but ran pex for one thing upstairs last year. Way faster and easier, and doesn't corrode. The next place will be all pex.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Bbbbbbut copper is the gold standard.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That sounds uncomfortably like something I said in 2011.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

That sounds uncomfortably like something I said in 2011.

Aww dang. These may be the series of posts that change my mind on pex. I was against it since I don't trust any old plastic at all.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'd say that's a fair statement in 2011, new PEX hadn't been around that long, and the first round of PEX was a fantastic disaster.

Now we have a lot more operational data on it, and it seems that it's the perfect plumbing method, as cheap and easy as CPVC without the gradual embrittling.

On a lark I looked up what schedule 40 304 stainless would cost, and it's not too bad, $2/foot for 3/4. Maybe I'll do butt welded stainless for my next house, that should last just about forever.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I love seeing shiny copper pipes on instagram but as a practical matter PEX does seem to be the new standard and certainly if I ever gently caress with plumbing beyond some under sink bits it'll be PEX.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I don't know if YouTube compressed this to poo poo or not, but it's been fun watching 100+ years of dust come up from the cracks in the floorboards then organize itself into neat little piles as the sawzall vibrates them.

Also everything is now covered in/full of dust, which is "fun"

https://youtu.be/5AvJTvmlRSU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

gently caress laying this floor out, even with a transit laser and half the floor done it sucks.

Actually the half a floor just makes it harder, because I have to match the second half to that, instead of an arbitrary value.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'd just take the whole thing out. Toss some plywood down where you need to walk every night so you don't come down the ladder and end up in the crawlspace minus an ankle.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's basically what I've done

Then those two orange strings (ones far in the back and badly lit) are the level plane, the idea being that I simply lift a 2x8 into place, gently touch the strings with it and nail it into place.

I've just hosed up the layout twice (didn't take into account the 3/4 for the plywood, and then a bonehead measuring error.)

And of course if a string gets bumped, or moved, or the nail gun hose hits it, it's tear off and redo time.

E: you can also see where I ripped a whole joist out on accident!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm a huge fan of laser levels for stuff like this. Set it up in one corner, mark exactly where the beam level is and write REF over it so you know which mark it is if you have to change the batteries, and start at the other end of the room. Cake.

They don't sag or get tripped over, either.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, I have one, the reference platform for all the windows hasn't moved, which has been awesome, I'd just need two to do this job.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I should probably just get a second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Oh gotcha, I should have figured. Maybe just toss up a reference mark for the window height and move it for the floors, then back after?