Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elviscat posted:

I can't sleep more than a few hours a night right now thanks to my allergies, so I rigged up this contraption, hopefully it helps.

These helped me clean up the air when a bunch of plaster was getting bashed out in our house. Got some super high merv 2x10x10's off Nordicpure and rigged them up like this around the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

organburner posted:

Are those just air filters strapped to fans?

Yup. Air seal what you can. Deeper the filter the better the flow rate.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
My house has spots because I am too lazy to repaint the whole thing. Sucks to be my neighbors.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elviscat posted:

Ah, but do you line up the screws horizontal, vertical, or at a perfect 45⁰? What do you do when that last 179⁰ makes the plate too tight and bulges/cracks it, but 180⁰ back is just a little too loose and gaps the plate from the wall?

Look buddy I'll snap the 18¢ plate in my bathroom if I want stop creeping around my house. (it's recently starting spidering cracks despite being stable for years.)

That's what spacers are for.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elviscat posted:

Good point.

I handled it with a towel and washed my hands thoroughly after, that should be good, right?

If you wake up to a bat in your house you're supposed to go get rabies shots immediately. It's 100% fatal, do not pass go, do collect your life insurance. If you found the bat while awake you're probably fine. You should call your doctor immediately.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elviscat posted:

While that is true, I handled him with a towel and he never got his little bat teeth anywhere near my skin, even when he was trying to crawl up my arm he only ever touched the towel, and an extremely thick Carhartt jacket with a long sleeve shirt underneath.

Yup. If he got in while awake you're probably fine. But like make sure you deed that death trap lovely house over to kastein before you go.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Load bearing drywall cabinetry.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elviscat posted:

That's not touching the ceiling yet!

You'll never convince me otherwise.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

devicenull posted:

For some reason I thought this was going to be a video of the bird. Very disappointed.

:same: was promised fat bird video.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

That's a pretty dope birdhouse.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I love the ambiguous "cold water clothes line" or "air hose". Please don't tell me what it is, or point out the air compressor.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elviscat posted:

The Ford Ranger might be the finest pickup ever built, but it's not really ideal for 16' lengths of lumber. (That super duty is loading like 10 sticks of PVC trim, the owner has a step ladder so he can reach the bed)

And a verrrry small penis. Today on the freeway I saw a hero. Honda civic ex with some ~1-2" pipes sticking several feet out of the sunroof going down the freeway near Anaheim, CA. They must have been 6' sections. ADA license plate and everything. It made me very happy.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elviscat posted:

I used to fit 10' sticks of conduit in my Mustang on supply runs, 1" and below PVC would fit, if we needed EMT I had to put the top down.

Top down skies the limit.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elviscat posted:

True, that just seems like a hell of a mistake by the realtor.

"mistake"

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Agrikk posted:

What are we looking at?

I see freshly cut studs so there's no real structural integrity, but it looks like you did that recently. What am I missing?

edit: oh wait. Is it that the existing stud is so far out of alignment with the new stud? because :ohdear:

Thank you for this, I knew something was horrifically wrong but I couldn't figure it out other than the cut studs and knew it couldn't be that simple. :ohdear:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elviscat posted:

And maybe smoke from the more and more frequent wildfires :(

I've been really happy with both of my Austin Air base model units. They're spendy, but the filter lasts 5 years, made in the USA, real support on the phone with friendly real people, and I couldn't smell smoke in my house mid wildfire here in socal.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
There's still time to burn it down. Just saying.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elviscat posted:

I'm trying, I have 6,000 watts of heat running to dry the mud, and I keep forgetting one heater's on my kitchen outlet circuit and tripping the breaker making food. Shouldn't have replaced that Zinsco panel.

:patriot:

Seriously though it looks amazing.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
:toot: you did a monstrous amount of work in an incredibly compressed time frame. Good luck on your posting! And at your job!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Welcome back!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Slugworth posted:

Someone educate me, I thought heat pumps were not used in areas that got cold enough for snow? I had never seen one until I left the Midwest (and the technology still confuses me, despite me now owning one).

You know how AC works by compressing some gas into a liquid outside (which makes it hot, a fan then dumps that heat. Run your air compressor and touch the tank, it will be warm.), then pipes it into your indoor condenser where it lets it suddenly expand into a gas (which makes it cold, ever notice how a spray can gets cold as you use it?) the forced air unit then pushes that coldness into your house. Well what if you ran the system in reverse? Now the gas compresses into a liquid, and they let it expand outside. That expansion is colder than the outdoor ambient air temperature (-26.3C for R134a). Blow a fan of 0C snowy air over it and you've just gained 26.3C in temperature. Now start compressing that gas back into a liquid indoors...

It fucks with my head every time too, but it's the phase change of the gas that is creating delta-T that you can capture heat from, not just fans blowing air around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elviscat posted:

She also pulled the tablecloth she was on in that photo off like 15 minutes later.

It's been in the low to mid 20's here (-7 to -2C) here, part of the problem, I think, is I mounted the outside unit (evaporator in heat mode) in the roof's drip line, giving it extra moisture to deal with.

Until you can solve this problem I would switch it to resistive 100% of the time. You're just working your unit for no benefit.