Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Physics... It's everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
:lol:
Your title makes more sense every day.

Good luck!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Agrikk posted:

This one sentence encapsulates every single one of my home projects so perfectly that it was a punch to my brain.

LOL. Same here. I see the strapping mark on a piece of wood flooring every time I walk by. I see every imperfection in trim, plaster, paint, or cabinetry. Invisible to everyone else, but the bug the poo poo out of me.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

MomJeans420 posted:

Is that full of water?

That's the best scenario.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Elviscat posted:

I opened up the ceiling to see where the joists overlap so I can set my beams.

They don't, They're just 28' long.

:monocle:

That's... Unusual.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

angryrobots posted:

I assume you know what the, ah, colloquial name for that tool is :dong:

We called them vibro-dongs.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Nice open air dining room. Very COVID-friendly.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Bbbbbbut copper is the gold standard.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Those boots are toast. I'm a redwing guy, I usually get about 30-36 months out of a pair. When I wore cheaper boots, I was lucky to get 12 before they literally fell apart.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Elviscat posted:

They've done me good for the only boots in my size, and being cheap lovely boots, I've had them around ~4 years, but the first two I was out to sea 75% of the time, and at work (in different boots) the rest.

I ordered a pair of USA made Danners, I always want to go Red Wings, and choke on the price tag (all the styles I like are like $400).

If these don't work out I'll swallow it and go Red Wings, boots are so hard because every decent brand's reviews are a mix of "best boots in the world!" And "used to be the best boots ever, now they SUCK!"

Oh yeah, that hole in the arch is from me kicking a pick-axe to ram it under some boards, and I kicked it through the sole and into my foot, oops.

Mine died quickly because I used to work on the water. Sadly 6 plus lots of hydraulic fluid plus 18 hours a day in them... Redwing definitely has a range of qualities. I used to be a diehard 2226 fan (~$225) until they discontinued them. I bought every pair in my size in the country, and got another 4 years before having to switch. Now I wear a 3504 that's insulated and waterproof, 100% US made, but like $325.

I've heard that Danner quality had taken a hit, but hopefully they've gotten their poo poo together. Boots are so tough. Out of all the redwing styles, there's only been two that fit my small ankles. I literally sat down and tried on every 6-8 inch steel toe boot they had. The 2226 and the style I wear now.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Elviscat posted:

I just wanted HD to ship me some pre-made encapsulated register boots for my cold air return so I could throw 'em in the floor with some flex duct and get to flooring, but I guess if they gently caress up shipping an order there's literally no way to rectify that.

So I guess I have to make them myself.

I have no idea what I'm doing, wheeeeee!

You really are almost West-Coast-Ken.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Buy better insoles.

I've been running the heat-moldable ones from redwing for over a decade. Deep heel cups, high arch, and they actually last. Those Dr Scholl's are junk.

https://jimmysworknwear.com/red-wing-moldable-orthotic-96329/
I never mold them, they're perfect for me right out of the box. I get about 5 years out of a pair before my toes wear through the top layer. They've got a hard base plate, so it'll take a week or so to get used to them if you've been using floppy insoles, butt IMHO, there's no better QoL improvement than quality boots+insoles other than a good mattress. poo poo that comes between you and the ground and all...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

gwrtheyrn posted:

They regularly list unfinished space in square footage and bedrooms that have various reasons that they aren't truly bedrooms. I don't see why acreage would be any different.

They're right up there with used car dealers as far as shadiness.

I love the "a competing offer just came in, how much higher can you go soon you don't lose this house" bullshit.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

TheMadMilkman posted:

It’s more that it’s really easy to become a realtor, it is glorified as a profession on HGTV and the likes, and people feel pressure to have a side hustle these days.

Based on my tax auditor days, a lot of them don’t make much of anything at all. But they do love to try to deduct everything under the sun.

Most of the ones I know are former cheerleaders/prom queens/football stars who want to drive a fancy car and don't need to worry about money because their SO or family have plenty (or are getting big alimony checks). They're super friendly, love meeting people, and think they're "helping" when they're really unhelpful in most ways.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Agrikk posted:

What are we looking at?

I see freshly cut studs so there's no real structural integrity, but it looks like you did that recently. What am I missing?

edit: oh wait. Is it that the existing stud is so far out of alignment with the new stud? because :ohdear:

I see you're new to this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

HAHAHAHAHA WHAT THE gently caress

Man that is a whole new level of stupid.

Holy gently caress. Just... Wow.

Also:

previous owner posted:

Meth!