Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

FR though, new staircase won't be after final structural remediation. Steel is interesting, cool, unique, and a challenge, we'll see what I do based on market prices in a few months.

Tried to buy some cool beams off a dude on Key Peninsula this weekend, distressed old cedar, real nice, but he must've sold them 'cause he ghosted me :(

You can also buy premade ready to go closed stringer staircases, around here about £100 for a 4m run, just trim to fit.

Nothing fancy, softwood stringers and MDF treads/risers, but they do the job just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

Deathwatch Beatles

Cover band?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

kastein posted:

Gonna fail your framing inspection on that, I don't see any hurricane ties at all. :v:

Dunno, looks like it could handle cat 2, maybe even cat 3.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

I'm really lucky to have my family near by, who are willing (and motivated by COVID to do something relatively safe) to help me out, things like lifting those beams into place, while I could do it, it's not a great idea, since they weigh well over 100lbs, I had to unload and carry them by myself a couple times, and it sucked. Then just the sheer number of hours that go into stuff like demo and cleanup... this would be a 10 year project like Kastein's without their help.

Sounds familiar. I had to move a 200kg table saw (in two pieces) by myself and that was an ordeal. That's bound to be made worse by having to deal with such a wide spread center of gravity. At least you could drag it along the ground from one end, though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

How smooth can you get a concrete pour? Is it ever clean enough that you don't need to add a finish layer for a level "ok to wheel things over it" surface?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hmm, good to know, thanks.

StormDrain posted:

Is there a place for water to go other than the threshold?

StormDrain posted:

StormDrain

:eyepop:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Darchangel posted:

I hate hate hate plumbing. The potential for disaster is just insanely high. Water always wins.

edit: plumbing so far has cost me more than anything else in my house, including the roof. Mainly the parts I can't do myself (LOTS of digging, as you may have seen in 2019.)

Plumbing, along with electrical, is one of those things where I don't trust myself to do more than temporary basics without adult supervision, and so I tend to get someone in to do it. Plus it's probably illegal to do even as little as I do without certifications.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It might be I'm missing something but it sounds like you need a mounting point for your laser which is independent of the floor. Are you able to screw its bracket into a wall? Or hammer a stake into the earth?

Also, do you know why your lines are moving? I'd have thought they'd be firmly tied down to a nail or something.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, I could mount the laser at an appropriate point, so it shines across the top of the joists, but I'd still need another point of reference tho level them.

Then I definitely don't understand. My laser level shines a flat plane and self-levels, so if I were doing it I'd put it (as you say) just above the desired top of the joists, and raise/level the joists until they're just shy of breaking the beam. If they break the beam at all, adjust them until they don't. That should wind up fully level, no?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

Mine just shines a single line, rather than a flat plane.

Ahhh. That explains it. I've got I think this one:
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW088LG-Cross-Laser-Green/dp/B017LTFQXI

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm still getting on well with steel toe Cats. The rigid sole makes extended ladder work more comfortable, and they've managed to survive a few direct hits with a machete with just small nicks to the leather..

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sure you've only got a couple to do but would it not be ~more efficient~ in the long run to build an entire plasma cutter with built-in sharpie marking?

Think of the aggregate time savings!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

E: I can't stop walking around on my flat level floor in circles grinning like an idiot.

I know this feeling.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

No wait I've seen this one before

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

I love the ambiguous "cold water clothes line" or "air hose". Please don't tell me what it is, or point out the air compressor.

it's PEX

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I got a cheap tungsten work light and I regret it somewhat. It's great light but it's like standing by a fire.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I think I grabbed one of these for about £30 while I was in a place, I should really replace it with LED.

https://www.arlec.co.uk/product/twin-halogen-worklight-with-tripod-400w/

Twin 400W lamps.

Part of it was that I didn't mind a bit of warmth in some of the rooms I was working in, but turns out 800W halogen is a LOT of infrared.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

What am I missing? Have you trapped it?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

rip

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm still waiting for one of these bladey bastards to taste first blood. My money's on the jointer.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah man the place was crazy busy.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

Ceilings are 90% done!

That's awesome! Just the second 90% to go.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wtf

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oh yeah you're right.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

A good face to greet the cops with.

"What year is it?! Did we win at Guadalcanal?"

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

Am I crazy to try and save this? Should I just slam some 1/2" OSB and Lifeproof over the top?

Yeah probably.

Elviscat posted:

Also:

This is a bad development.

Huh?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

Some little rear end in a top hat figured out she can get down the stairs and run around the construction site, sniffing everything and hiding from me, I have no way to keep her out at the moment. She might be hard to see, under the saw, snuffling at the fan for some reason.

Aha! Infiltration!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Getting tradies to do anything is like punching in a dream.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

I have to admit I'm curious about the venting, any particular reason you're custom-making rectangular vent pieces rather than just working with pre-made round vent piping?

John McClane honeytrap.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

rip :(

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oh no. Oh well. Spend some time with your cats instead.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Take only pictures, leave only mysteries.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm sorry to hear you ran out of time. What happens now?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sorry to hear that your well pump is, well, not well. Glad to see the cat is, though.

What's the plan with the heat pump, then?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Leaving the sticker on really gives it that continental feel.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The old gas feed to my house was at least plastic on the outside, though it was multilayered like motronic said. I’ll snap a pic and see what it’s made of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

There's a lot of stuff that's waaaayyy easier with/requires two people too, hanging sheathing and placing beams come to mind, we could help each other out a lot.

:unsmith: