Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I am now watching both you and Kastein rebuild houses that I might have just burned down and hoped not to get caught for insurance fraud. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

kastein posted:

They hit everyone on the KP for a bunch this year even with no improvements done, so you might have just gotten unlucky.

I don't do poo poo to my house as far as improvements, they still raise the assessment stupid amounts every year, they don't need or give a reason.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Elviscat posted:

Nah, that's just cheap MDF laminate.

The original flooring is buried under there, but because the house has sagged so much, and because the walls were built on top of it, it's just not salvageable, which is a shame because it was milled on-site when this property was a lumber encampment 110 years ago.

It's a bummer that nothing much is salvageable, would be cool to be able to say that 'this part here was milled on site 110 years ago'.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I know nothing about house construction other than what I've seen in this and Ken's thread. What is the reason for notching the beam so that it doesn't touch the cross beams that it's supporting and then joining them back together with those metal pieces?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thanks for the explanation. Also I live in Arizona, I sometimes forget that earthquakes and other natural disasters are something people have to consider when building things. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Elviscat posted:

I guess today is the day I finally get myself with the nail gun, forgot I switched to 3 ¼ galvanized sinkers and put my hand somewhere stupid.

So I got a nice ¼ puncture right under my index finger.
:grovertoot:

Yikes. Other than it obviously being painful, I hope you didn't do any serious injury to your hand.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I am impressed that you got that wall pulled in like that.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That's gonna look really drat cool when it's done.

Is the next/top pour going to be colored like that or clear to make it look really deep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Oh drat, that sucks. I've only ever used epoxy as a glue, and it's strong as hell, so I can't imagine how difficult that's gonna be to get rid of.