Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Oh my god yes poo poo sucks. I just wanted to write books about wizards, I don't know why it needs to involve so much doxxing.

But re the interview it's been ages (article dropped late November 2019, I think the interview was a couple of weeks before that?) and there were technical issues that meant I never had a proper transcript so I'm just running from memory but I think I said Canaan House reminded me a ship from Battlefleet Gothic? And then I started saying "oh, that's Warhammer 40,000, if you know it" until I realised she was giving the look. HtN wasn't out at that point, if it was I'd have brought up The River and it's a point I want to hopefully hit next time. For some additional colour though, because this really stuck with me and I don't really see it discussed in TLT fandom spaces: we talked about the role ANZ humour played in it, and later I read Damon Reese's wonderful essay The Uncanny Valley of Culture and her words came back to me – I think a lot of readers don't understand the social role of the memery, how it's less about WELL, THAT HAPPENED style Hollywood quips and more of a warning sign that something is very wrong. Gideon is telling jokes not because she's a cool funtime prankster but because she's terrified and humour is the thing stopping her from having a nervous breakdown. This para in particular is like ... yeah that's Nav, if you're from this part of the world you recognise it instantly. Australian and NZ culture differ in a lot of ways but we definitely share this one.

quote:

Maddy, whose lack of attention to detail was the driving force behind Chay’s death, does not meaningfully engage with it. She simply refuses; the trauma and guilt weighs too heavily on her shoulders. Her relationship with Chay becomes defined by a ghastly breach of consent, and she is so deeply stuck in survival mode that she sees no way out than to maintain the status quo.

So instead, she resorts to gallows humour. This is a deeply Australian form of introversion — we process trauma alone in our own time, but when in company, we deflect, deflect, deflect.

This is something that’s on show in every scene of The Dressmaker: every person living in the remote town of Dungatar has their own traumas, and each of them absolutely refuses to even consider engaging with them, lest their fragile socially-constructed shells shatter into dust.
Nona has basically no memes in it and that feels very intentional. It's much more confrontational than the first two, it's not signalling that something is wrong so much as screaming it.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, I feel like Gideon would probably be telling jokes regardless.

Like, John's memes work as a signal of something terribly wrong because making a "none pizza with left beef" reference is astoundingly inappropriate in the context where he makes it, and so if you understand it you realize that it says something a little terrifying about where God is mentally.

Gideon's memes are less weird because humor as a defensive mechanism sounds pretty reasonable in her situation; it's just that they rely on information mysteriously beamed into her brain from the ancient past of 2020.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Nav would absolutely be funny in more chill surroundings, she's a bigtime shitposter, it's more that a lot of the framing/timing of the jokes is like ... it'll be a very tense scene, and she'll crack a joke, and it doesn't break the tension. It's whistling steam from a pressure cooker. Kiwis joke when we're happy, but there's a very specific sort of humour that comes out when poo poo is really bad and nobody is willing to look it in the eye.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'm now incredibly interested in reading a Kiwi analysis of these books.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 24, 2022

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Happy Landfill posted:

I'm now incredibly interesting in reading a Kiwi analysis of these books.
I am using all my self-control not to spoil Nona right now but get back to me about this in September because I HAVE THOUGHTS AND I REALLY WANNA YELL

COWS WATCH THE SUNSET?!? TAZ YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 24, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I am using all my self-control not to spoil Nona right now but get back to me about this in September because I HAVE THOUGHTS AND I REALLY WANNA YELL

I'm pretty much going to need to just leave this thread until I get and read the book in September, aren't I?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Everyone posted:

I'm pretty much going to need to just leave this thread until I get and read the book in September, aren't I?
Nah that one line, specifically chosen to give as little as possible away and spoilered anyway, is as far as I'm gonna go. I will not talk about anything in Nona until after September from now on, Scout's honour. :toxx:

I just really want to, holy poo poo aaaa

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

:ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:

Is is September yet?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Nah that one line, specifically chosen to give as little as possible away and spoilered anyway, is as far as I'm gonna go. I will not talk about anything in Nona until after September from now on, Scout's honour. :toxx:

I just really want to, holy poo poo aaaa

is it ok to be jealous though

if its not ok i can make it up to you by letting you tell me all about it, it'll be a struggle but

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I'm so torn; I want to get my hands on an ARC somehow but if I did that I would have to wait that much longer for Alecto :ohdear:

Edit: for the love of Jod please check out this amazing fanart
https://blazing-spectre.tumblr.com/post/661668317795418112/dios-apate-unlike-ianthe-i-dont-think-the-old

For reference: https://i.imgur.com/bV4MICw.jpg

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 24, 2022

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Moira Quirk's reading Nona, and the pre-order's up on Audible.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Tamsyn has said it's not Homestuck because it is clearly Final Fantasy 10 and honestly that makes way more sense. When I first heard that I didn't believe it at all but now I can't unsee it. Resurrection Beasts = Sin, Heralds = Sinspawn, Jod = Jecht, Harrow = YunaLulu, Gideon = AuronTidus.

I hadn't thought particularly FF10, but I've always described the sort of sprawling mishmash of environments, magic, technology, genres, etc in GtN/HtN as feeling a lot like a JRPG.

DreamingofRoses posted:

Moira Quirk's reading Nona, and the pre-order's up on Audible.

This brings me much happiness.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Tamsyn will preview :kingsley:Alecto:kingsley: at the Third Annual Virtual TorCon on Thursday June 9th

quote:

6 PM ET/3 PM PT: Something Wicked This Way Comes

In our bookish coven, it’s always spooky season. Join Olivie Blake (The Atlas Six), Susan Dennard (The Luminaries), Catriona Ward (Little Eve), and Rita Woods (The Last Dreamwalker) for a panel on the deliciously dark tales they’re brewing up this Fall, and catch a pre-recorded sneak peek of Alecto the Ninth, read by Tamsyn Muir.

I am incredibly intrigued since Nona isn't even out yet. I almost wonder if she's tossing a bone (:haw:) to those who have already read the Nona ARC

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 7, 2022

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

Tamsyn will preview :kingsley:Alecto:kingsley: at the Third Annual Virtual TorCon on Thursday June 9th

I am incredibly intrigued since Nona isn't even out yet. I almost wonder if she's tossing a bone (:haw:) to those who have already read the Nona ARC

Nona was an expanded part of Alecto, right? I don't think it's that surprising if Alecto is well on the way to being finished if it isn't finished already.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Short story from the paperback of Harrow is up in full for free on Tor’s site:

https://twitter.com/tordotcom/status/1534521628075233281?s=21&t=WlNFtKZpp69-Pn71C1VDcA

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

As yet unsent is fabulous.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Any way to download that to put on my Kindle?

edit: I forgot how flexible Kindle and Calibre are and did a low-tech of selecting the whole text, pasting it into notepad, and putting the .txt file on my Kindle.

Humerus fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 8, 2022

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

neongrey posted:

i think thats the thing that helps me tolerate the memes in the series so well-- they're applied fairly naturally, like you would if they're part of the normal vernacular of the people using them. I like them less when they stick out more, and I definitely remember there being a few of those, though I cant remember which specifically.

Jail for mother felt a little much to me iirc

The only one that landed off for me was the "none pizza left beef" reference, because grammatically it's such a weird construction it's hard to make it feel natural.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Just had a startling brainwave revelation after reading both books and all available supplementary material in a week-long marathon.

Nona the Ninth is the Roxas parts of Kingdom Hearts. I prophecy this.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Put me down for "it's an elaborate shaggy dog story and Nona is actually completely unrelated to both Gideon and Harrowhark; Palamedes just thought she did because of a misunderstanding."

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Humerus posted:

Any way to download that to put on my Kindle?

edit: I forgot how flexible Kindle and Calibre are and did a low-tech of selecting the whole text, pasting it into notepad, and putting the .txt file on my Kindle.
If you have Harrow on your kindle it might automatically update your copy to include the story at the end — I bought Harrow on release and it now includes As Yet Unsent.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It's so good I'm excited for Nona and Alectro.

I feel like most of the dangling mysteries from Harrow are solved thanks to us million money's on the internet theory crafting but even if it's not a twist at all any more I still love the way the puzzle fits.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
also i assume there are a certain number of mysteries that we do not yet know are mysteries, cause there always are

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

rohan posted:

If you have Harrow on your kindle it might automatically update your copy to include the story at the end — I bought Harrow on release and it now includes As Yet Unsent.

I bought Harrow through Google so I'll have to redownload it to check. But check I will because I want to reread Gideon and Harrow both before Nona.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

*throws hat down and stomps on it*

Greenlit
Dec 16, 2004

A commonborn squire
takes the reins of a knightly order, and leads a wayward kingdom from the midst
of chaos. The masses yearn for a hero. I give them what they wish.

M_Gargantua posted:

It's so good I'm excited for Nona and Alectro.

I feel like most of the dangling mysteries from Harrow are solved thanks to us million money's on the internet theory crafting but even if it's not a twist at all any more I still love the way the puzzle fits.

Is there a collected resource of these theories anywhere? I've poked around here and the fandom wiki, but still have some nagging questions about Harrow.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Someone on Reddit transcribed the reading. It was very short

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheNinthHo...web2x&context=3

quote:

Alecto The Ninth.

ACT ONE.

HARROW IN HELL

CHAPTER ONE

At a point in the slit she was carving through life, Harrowhark Nonagesimus woke to find herself lost in a dark wound. She had been walking when it had all gone black - any path ahead or behind was blotted out; now she was here.

A sword was laid upon her from shoulder to hip. Her feet were bare.

Upon her chest, straddling the sword, there was an open magazine.

The first thing she was upon opening her eyes was a pair of tits.

Edit: I'm very curious how this comes off to those who have read the Nona ARC lol but also :argh:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 10, 2022

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Really feeling like we won't be seeing Harrow in Nona, I mean besides Nona being the person in Harrow's body at the moment. I mean that is what's happening right? That opening is basically picking up where HtN ended.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I think last we left it

Gideon's is now in charge of Harrows body.
Harrows soul took the escape hatch and wound up in Alectos body in the tomb.
And Nona I suspect is a pretty much clean slate soul inhabiting Gideon's body, having been power washed of memory and context from being brain dead in the tomb for 10 millennia.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

M_Gargantua posted:

I think last we left it

Gideon's is now in charge of Harrows body.
Harrows soul took the escape hatch and wound up in Alectos body in the tomb.
And Nona I suspect is a pretty much clean slate soul inhabiting Gideon's body, having been power washed of memory and context from being brain dead in the tomb for 10 millennia.

From what I recall from the excerpt Nona has black hair that grows too fast. After what Ianthe did, it’s 100% Harrow’s body.

big dyke energy posted:

Really feeling like we won't be seeing Harrow in Nona, I mean besides Nona being the person in Harrow's body at the moment. I mean that is what's happening right? That opening is basically picking up where HtN ended.

I think you’re right that it’s basically jumping off from the epilogue in Harrow. Super interested in what’s going on with Gideon’s body right now though

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 13, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I thought the hair growing too fast was a problem because the red starts to show and they have to dye it again. How would Harrows body be with Cam and Coronabeth when they were last with Gideon's body?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Gideon is the one with boobs, Harrow's lack of is repeatedly commented on. QED

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

M_Gargantua posted:

I thought the hair growing too fast was a problem because the red starts to show and they have to dye it again. How would Harrows body be with Cam and Coronabeth when they were last with Gideon's body?

Have you read the short story? (Not being glib, seriously asking.)

Also, the quote from the excerpt: “Nona ate while Pyrrha brushed out her hair in short, brisk strokes, letting its fine black sheets fall over Nona’s shoulders. It went almost to the bottom of her back now, and it was soft and thin as water: every fourth haircut day they cut it, but not every haircut day because it was a pain, and because people noticed your hair growing less when it was already long, Camilla said.” Dying roots wouldn’t be a problem, the problem is implied to be people noticing that it keeps growing back really fast.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 14, 2022

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like if it was Gideon's body someone would have commented on her incredible biceps, also.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

How big are they, exactly?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Big enough that if Gideon were to take the throne, she'd be known as Princeps Biceps

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
tangentially related but a goon author got a very nice writeup by tamsyn

https://thespinoff.co.nz/books/14-06-2022/a-homecoming-for-new-zealand-fantasy-tamsyn-muir-reviews-the-dawnhounds

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Oh that looks awesome!

Goon author :hellyeah:

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
late to this party, but goddamn am i ever glad i decided to show up. bought the first book a while ago, put off reading it until a long crosscountry flight, then absolutely devoured it and started on the second. i feel like a drunk girl at a club who just wants to hug all these characters and tell them how much i love them.

also according to the very cool and official house identification tool, i belong in the fourth house, which tracks, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Fourth House best house.