Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I thought the incredible vocabulary was really good at conveying just how weird and messed up it is inside Harrow's head, especially after seeing her from the outside in the first book.

Like from Gideon's POV it's easy to go 'wow what an rear end in a top hat' but reading Harrow it feels like the poor girl is barely lucid half the time :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Sekenr posted:

Although if I were to complain - someone should take thesaurus from her, she uses shitton of obscure words for no good reason IMO. I never had to use kindle's dictionary so often with any other book ever.

Honestly, the dictionary function might just be what converts me to read ebooks permanently. I love looking up words through the Libby app while I'm reading and not have to physically put my book down to look something up.

Edit:

Strategic Tea posted:

I thought the incredible vocabulary was really good at conveying just how weird and messed up it is inside Harrow's head, especially after seeing her from the outside in the first book.

Like from Gideon's POV it's easy to go 'wow what an rear end in a top hat' but reading Harrow it feels like the poor girl is barely lucid half the time :(
I think my favorite characters end up being the ones that I started out absolutely hating. I just want to give Harrow a hug, as much as she'd hate it. I got a friend of mine to read Gideon and his first thoughts were, "Loving Gideon but god I just want to punt Harrow off a cliff" and my reply was basically, "Harrow is....complicated" and just kind of left it at that.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 2, 2020

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Happy Landfill posted:

Honestly, the dictionary function might just be what converts me to read ebooks permanently. I love looking up words through the Libby app while I'm reading and not have to physically put my book down to look something up.

The dictionary is handy, but it's so much more cumbersome to flap back and forth to the Dramatis Personae than in paper.

Happy Landfill posted:

I think my favorite characters end up being the ones that I started out absolutely hating. I just want to give Harrow a hug, as much as she'd hate it. I got a friend of mine to read Gideon and his first thoughts were, "Loving Gideon but god I just want to punt Harrow off a cliff" and my reply was basically, "Harrow is....complicated" and just kind of left it at that.

Ianthe meanwhile starts out seeming just terrible, proves herself to actually be excitingly terrible in more ways than you thought, but is somehow still a compelling character you want to stay around.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I was totally expecting Ianthe to die because my immediate reaction to her eating babs was "you're a little gremlin, you're my new favorite until you inevitably die" and then she proved she was a smart gremlin and survived.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Entropic posted:

Ianthe meanwhile starts out seeming just terrible, proves herself to actually be excitingly terrible in more ways than you thought, but is somehow still a compelling character you want to stay around.

Ianthe is probably my favorite character. She's so incredibly terrible, and I love it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Have I mentioned that the TLT tumblr fan community is extremely wholesome and good?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I like that SexPal speaks in cursive.
I also made some dumb memes:

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 3, 2020

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

The Gideon and Harrow tags have some really good stuff. Here, have some fan art based on my favorite twitter post ever
https://sanga-manga.tumblr.com/post/631551282921029632/i-read-the-gay-neck-romancer-book-that-everyone

Also, get a load of Tamsyn's summary of HtN sans context
https://ianthe-is-a-bitch-and-i-love-her.tumblr.com/post/627636578309849088/so-uh-this-is-from-tamsyn-muirs-twitter-back

Mods, please change my av text to "drove my chevy to the levy but the levy was ghosts"

Edit: what the heck is up with imgur? Is there no way to generate image links any more and only embed links?

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 3, 2020

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

Edit: what the heck is up with imgur? Is there no way to generate image links any more and only embed links?

Gotta get them engagement stats for your favourite Content Creatoures, then sell the data to a man in a trenchcoat on the Moscow subway.

E: lol and, as I tried to view more than 3 posts on that link, you must also download the app so we can cross check your interests, browsing time, predicted mood, GPS coordinates, implied politics...

gently caress social media

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 3, 2020

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

Gotta get them engagement stats for your favourite Content Creatoures, then sell the data to a man in a trenchcoat on the Moscow subway.

E: lol and, as I tried to view more than 3 posts on that link, you must also download the app so we can cross check your interests, browsing time, predicted mood, GPS coordinates, implied politics...

gently caress social media

yo what the gently caress?? When did that happen? That's awful

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 4, 2020

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
"Dinner party ruined by faux pas" is a wonderful bit of understatement.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Happy Landfill posted:

it's a shitshow in general. If I'm reading this right, when you're on desktop, click the [...] and there's a "Get Share Links" option that will get the links?

Here's the two you linked for people who don't want to use tumblr

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I think I got it figured out. Now I can share all my favorite tumblr posts. It just all feels less intuitive than it used to be

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Senerio posted:

I was totally expecting Ianthe to die because my immediate reaction to her eating babs was "you're a little gremlin, you're my new favorite until you inevitably die" and then she proved she was a smart gremlin and survived.

I hope Ianthe is torn apart by weasels, she is actually as a horrible as all the other horrible Lictors, just a baby horrible instead.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Franky I don't get why does the book or most of the thread consider saving the emperor a bad thing? I mean not once previously to confrontation anyone complained about necro imperialism, he was the resurrector. and now all of a sudden he sucks. in a span of like 2 pages. Don't forget that sun will go out and everything we care about will die

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Sekenr posted:

Franky I don't get why does the book or most of the thread consider saving the emperor a bad thing? I mean not once previously to confrontation anyone complained about necro imperialism, he was the resurrector. and now all of a sudden he sucks. in a span of like 2 pages. Don't forget that sun will go out and everything we care about will die

He was betrayed by he people selected to be murders. He seems to be personally a softy in some ways, this does not stop that his lictors are bugfuck insanos that murder people for saluting them the wrong way, and apparently that's justified. Cam and long P. are his enemies. So far bad dad. Calls himself god.

People did band together to say gently caress the lictor bullshit in the last book, where god put them through a death trap in order to make them into ultra-powered murders, like the murdered that was murdering them. Harrow was willing to die for how much she said gently caress it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Brain Candy posted:

He seems to be personally a softy in some ways

I think instead of "soft" I would say the key to the Emperor's personality is that he's "sentimental," in the sense that Chesterton described a sentimentalist as someone who wants to eat his emotional cake and have it, too.

He wants to be an absolute ruler who is worshipped as God and also to be a goofy dude who tells dad jokes. He wants his people to be so devoted to him that they'll bleed themselves out making a ward that makes his car trip just a bit smoother, and also to be the one who tells them "oh, don't die for me; your life is too valuable." (Note that he isn't doing a thing about the broader issue that people are throwing their lives away to please him, which he would do if he was actually concerned about it.) He wants to be the sweet, loving father figure to Harrow that he acts like, while also being secretly behind the hell she's being put through on the grounds that it might "fix" her, somehow.

His demeanor is 99% goofy dad and I think that part of him is genuine, but it ultimately just makes the 1% that is a sack of demon-rats squeezed into a skin suit worse rather than better.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

There's also the unknowns about how he came to be god, and that could be super super creepy and awful. How many billions died... We'll find out in 2022!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Was it ever explcitly stated why God made the Lyctors unecessarily kill their cavaliers? Would having a live cavalier allow them to become as powerful as him?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

Was it ever explcitly stated why God made the Lyctors unecessarily kill their cavaliers? Would having a live cavalier allow them to become as powerful as him?

Not explicitly, so also, 2022!

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

I suspect that if it's not that he didn't want to share being god, it's simply that he wanted more Lyctors reliably. Remember that Harrow is an exceptional necromancer, partly due to her parents crimes, and there was a hint that last time there was only one that of the last crop that was kind of on the right track.

It may also be that the only thing that permits people like god and Harrow is sacrifice, which if you are gonna do it, why not one person instead of the hundreds it takes to make a Harrow.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Well said, I think that describes the situation accurately.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Saving the emperor seems like the right thing to do to me, even if you think he is a horrible evil person. The old lictors at least believe that killing him will extinguish the star and kill everyone in their home system, they just don't care anymore. He also implies right after reforming post-Mercy blowing him up that he has to fix the star. Maybe he's lying, but that's a big gamble.

Brain Candy posted:

I suspect that if it's not that he didn't want to share being god, it's simply that he wanted more Lyctors reliably. Remember that Harrow is an exceptional necromancer, partly due to her parents crimes, and there was a hint that last time there was only one that of the last crop that was kind of on the right track.

Harrow's epilogue suggests that Palmedes/Camilla did a mergy thing. Palmedes is very good, but not sacrifice boosted. For the classic batch, I think there was something where Augustine said his lictorization was mid fight and that Anastasia (the one who was doing it the right way where the emperor killed her cavalier mid-ritual) was the only one who was working in lab conditions.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Foxfire_ posted:

Saving the emperor seems like the right thing to do to me, even if you think he is a horrible evil person. The old lictors at least believe that killing him will extinguish the star and kill everyone in their home system, they just don't care anymore.

Honestly the thing I really liked about this book happens to be one of the things that I still really appreciate about Interview With a Vampire, the general ennui of immortal living. After a while, after you have lived so long and are so detached and isolated from everything--that things that make life worth living, it's almost like...what's even the point? poo poo would probably get boring after a while and the little things that annoyed you about your companions become aggravating and soul-crushing after a millennia and poo poo with the flick of a wrist I could just undo at a molecular level if he smacks his lips like that while eating one more time I'll do it I swear-to-John. Add that on top of an old suspicion/grudge that you have held against the person you are supposed to love and revere the most just eating and eating away at you. They needJohn because on some level they can't admit that they have lived this way for so long--literal, actual millennia--they can't imagine life beyond it; but at the same time just want to be done with him. It's very, very co-dependent. It's like, the absolute worst case scenario for the Cavalier/Necromancer dynamic. Add literal immortality on top of that and you get...well, the entirety of HtN

I love Mercymorn. She is exactly how I would imagine someone who has been barely holding it together for centuries and is just so done. :allears:

Also seconding the props to Rand Brittain. I was trying to explain that exact sentiment to a friend of mine and was struggling to find the right words and you nailed it. basically God is a Neo Liberal

Ugh, waiting until '22 is going to suck.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 9, 2020

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Foxfire_ posted:

Harrow's epilogue suggests that Palmedes/Camilla did a mergy thing. Palmedes is very good, but not sacrifice boosted. For the classic batch, I think there was something where Augustine said his lictorization was mid fight and that Anastasia (the one who was doing it the right way where the emperor killed her cavalier mid-ritual) was the only one who was working in lab conditions.

As you've noted Palmedes, is very good. He's good enough that Harrow thought he was a peer as opposed to the gremlin. Also he died. If he and Cam have merged as was suggested, it's because he merged into his cavalier.

It's possible that this makes perfect lictorization possible, but as you noted the emperor killed the cav when it started going wrong and still got a lictor, there's no such 'easy' out for C&P.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Foxfire_ posted:

Saving the emperor seems like the right thing to do to me, even if you think he is a horrible evil person. The old lictors at least believe that killing him will extinguish the star and kill everyone in their home system, they just don't care anymore. He also implies right after reforming post-Mercy blowing him up that he has to fix the star. Maybe he's lying, but that's a big gamble.

The number of people living in Earth's solar system has been reduced from billions to millions. If there really are large populations centers elsewhere and John is targeting them for destruction, you might be saving more people than you kill.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Happy Landfill posted:

Just right click the image and select copy image address.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Every once in a while I head over to Tumblr and check out all the Locked Tomb fanart and just get floored.

Also this would be prime av material I think.

ArtStation has some really good stuff too.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nYEPRO

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I myself am sporting an excellent house skull from page 3 of this thread!

Was sorely tempted by a 'we do bones, motherfucker' but I like the Sixth skull more.

E: there's a spine fund joke in here somewhere

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Hmm I might need a new skull av too...
Edit: Hell yeah

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 16, 2020

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

seven for beauty that blossoms and dies...

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

honestly been considering a sunglasses skull tat

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I've been super impressed with a lot of the fanart I've come across. My most recent favorite was this comic on Twitter

https://twitter.com/laida_ninja/status/1327310815502929922?s=19

Edit:
Oh she made more!
https://twitter.com/laida_ninja/status/1328024078712762370?s=19

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 17, 2020

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

drat, those are really good

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I like this one, too. Bonus points for Pal and Cam

https://twitter.com/Marceline2174/status/1328579775414345729?s=19

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

That Pal and Cam are too powerful, I have died and gone into the river

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

I mean

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Cavs have to open carry; concealing those guns would be a crime.