Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'm willing to believe that sleeves just flat out don't fit on Gideon. Like how people with bigger thighs tend to wear out the inner thighs of their jeans (me), Gideon's sleeves just eventually get worn off.

"oh well, what are ya' going to do? " :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

(gently caress, quote is not edit)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Ninth House fashion believes in exposing the bony structure.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

gently caress in retrospect this was in fact the real answer, god sucksssss, the worst, just awful

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Hungry posted:

Cavs have to open carry; concealing those guns would be a crime.

:discourse:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Anxiety and stress woke me up at 4am and couldn't get back to sleep

Yep decided to read Gideon again and it's just so good. Like other books that I reread for comfort, I notice new things every time I read it, this time paying even more attention to dulcie's chatter during the avulsion challenge. Good stuff.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

They are such good books to re-read. There's a bit I totally forgot where Gideon bursts in on Corona practicing with a sword, Babs and Ianthe turn up and get mad, and Gideon leaves all "I don't know what's up with them and really don't want to"

In hindsight oh poo poo she really did want Ianthe to merge with her instead, and was trying to prove she's as good a duelist as anyone else.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I really love how she draws Harrow and Gideon

https://twitter.com/laida_ninja/status/1330592929400971265?s=20

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

goddamn

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, now I need to see a picture of Gideon carrying Jeannemary up a ladder that Jeannemary didn't want to go up.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Update:

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

by @dawndundundun on birdsite

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
I absolutely love how much fanart Gideon and Harrow have inspired. It's the sweetest godamn thing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Discussion of imperial expansion: My impression is that John isn't killing every planet he comes across, just the ones that are resisting, in the path of a Beast, and maybe the odd one he needs as an outpost where necromancy works. They specifically talk about a whole whole lot of planets that are under the Houses' protection where the BoE are trying to infiltrate.

This also has implications for my theories about Previously Sol and why it is the way it currently is.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

A friend created this review:

"Delightful, pure entertainment: it's got sly humor, emotional intensity, lovely fight scenes, and a thrillingly low-key sexiness, and it's just about as unlike Gene Wolfe as a pulp-inspired planetary romance about a sword-wielding orphan in a black cloak who was raised in a necropolis and quests to serve the enigmatic demiurge-king of a dying far future empire can possibly be."

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Been a few months since I read the books but I just came across this thread. I loved how disorienting Harrow the Ninth was and I thought between it and Gideon it demonstrated a lot of range. I'm really looking forward to the next book.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

silvergoose posted:

A friend created this review:

"Delightful, pure entertainment: it's got sly humor, emotional intensity, lovely fight scenes, and a thrillingly low-key sexiness, and it's just about as unlike Gene Wolfe as a pulp-inspired planetary romance about a sword-wielding orphan in a black cloak who was raised in a necropolis and quests to serve the enigmatic demiurge-king of a dying far future empire can possibly be."

I think what convinced me to read the book was someone describing it as Revolutionary Girl Utena meets Warhammer 40k

wizzardstaff posted:

Been a few months since I read the books but I just came across this thread. I loved how disorienting Harrow the Ninth was and I thought between it and Gideon it demonstrated a lot of range. I'm really looking forward to the next book.
It's definitely an interesting way to get the reader engaged; by presenting the events of the first book but everything is wrong. I remember reading in an interview that the stylistic changes were intentional--Harrow was different from Gideon and Alecto will be different from Harrow so it make me even more excited for the next book and how things will be shaken up.

Found some more neat fanart

https://twitter.com/Marceline2174/status/1334970159291719680?s=20

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

It's not Locked Tomb, but it is a new novella from Tamsyn Muir... Princess Floralinda and the Forty-Flight Tower (audiobook narrated by Moira Quirk), is more of a fantasy setting with an attitude, and feels a little like the sort of thing Ursula Vernon writes. I'm enjoying it, about 1/3 of the way through a short read.

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Still confused about who the ghost in the hazard suit with the gun was/is.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Idaholy Roller posted:

it's gideon's mum i think, the one who was found dead in a spacesuit

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Idaholy Roller posted:

It was Commander Wake Me Up Inside, Gideon's mother, the same person who was running around in Cytherea's corpse, trying to angle up for a much better ride.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I am kind of confused about the scale of things. Books never really tell you the population of planets The only number we get is around 100 dead children, making the entire population of the ninth planet around 300-500 people? And the first has no people? Unless they live on other plates and are never mentioned? Compared to that it feels like the second should have vastly bigger population since they are in charge of fielding armies

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sekenr posted:

I am kind of confused about the scale of things. Books never really tell you the population of planets The only number we get is around 100 dead children, making the entire population of the ninth planet around 300-500 people? And the first has no people? Unless they live on other plates and are never mentioned? Compared to that it feels like the second should have vastly bigger population since they are in charge of fielding armies

The First and Ninth houses are outliers. The First is basically symbolic and the Ninth is a glorified monastery. The other houses are implied to have much larger populations and be more “normal” and there’s a whole bunch of subject planets out there controlled by the Empire of the Nine Houses, the Houses themselves are just the home system. We don’t get much detail on any of this in the first book because our main POV character is an indentured servant from the most secluded of the Houses.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Sekenr posted:

200 children. Harrow is a walking war crime 200 times over.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So I finished Harrow. Despite all the timeline fuckery and misdirects I felt it was easier to keep up with the characters in this sequel than in the previous, where a ton of necromancers and cavaliers were thrown at us and I could barely remember who is who. The smaller cast this time makes it easier to keep track.

Still unclear about a lot of stuff by the end, guess I’ll find out in the third book.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

200 children. Harrow is a walking war crime 200 times over.

Well the necrolord prime is apparently 10 billion, although is a different way seemingly

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Sekenr posted:

Well the necrolord prime is apparently 10 billion, although is a different way seemingly

Yeah but he did that on purpose, Harrow had no say in the matter

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

It can't be said that this fandom does not have some incredible fanworks. Holy poo poo the facial expressions in this are amazing :allears:

https://twitter.com/nesynn/status/1351941110721961990?s=20

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah that's amazing.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Speaking of fan projects, I got this set of enamel pins in the mail today. Which are technically fanart.

vvv I'm amazed that video still only has like 1500 views, it seems like it should be way bigger than that vvv

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 20, 2021

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I like how folks are using the audiobooks to animate stuff to.

This one's still my favorite so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvJOuUJNcx8

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Another thing that’s been bugging me, what was with the note asking Harrow to examine Ianthe’s mouth?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

If her jaw was replaced, whatever the gently caress she did to ensure Ianthe didn't tell harrow what she had done might be gone.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah she enchanted her jawbone.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/BS_artsss/status/1353137738342559745

https://mobile.twitter.com/zephyrzion/status/1352036530236231684

https://mobile.twitter.com/laisleite_s/status/1352845924402388993

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 24, 2021

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

@zephyrzion there jumped out of the gate with a heartbreaking trio of pictures that just ruined me.

https://twitter.com/zephyrzion/status/1351293777399349248?s=19

https://twitter.com/zephyrzion/status/1351293772215197697?s=19

https://twitter.com/zephyrzion/status/1351293767060340736?s=19

And I don't know why it formatted these tweets that way but eh

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 24, 2021

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Yeah but he did that on purpose, Harrow had no say in the matter

He nevertheless resurrected, he is after all the resurrector

E: I like those fan pictures, but why do they all make Gideon look like a man?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Sekenr posted:

He nevertheless resurrected, he is after all the resurrector

E: I like those fan pictures, but why do they all make Gideon look like a man?

Fanart Twitter is in love with Gideon's butchiness much like they're in love with Ianthe's height

Also:

https://twitter.com/ephemeral_hue/status/1357158286181638147?s=19

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

wow